• GoDaddy Community
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 

GoCentral Online Store Backorder Advice

I have setup a few products in my online store (Gocentral) to allow purchase requirements without stock on hand, therefore allowing the items to go on backorder. I have done this to allow pre-ordering.

I did a test and noticed that the online store does not show during the transaction that the item is not in stock (I have made allowance for this to advice at product level (notes) that the item is not in stock but you can pre-order. But I also noted in the test that the email order confirmation (to the customer) also does not state the item was not in stock and that delivery will be at a later date. Has anyone found a solution for this ? Can we make a change to the email setting ? How can we inform the customer ?

12 REPLIES 12
    Helper V

Re: GoCentral Online Store Backorder Advice

After reading other people saying the same thing, I started checking into this. My site isn't live, so I can't check it for sure, but customer service assured me that if you mark your inventory 0, make sure the item is checked to be inventoried, and mark it Allow Backorder that the customer will be notified during checkout if an item is on backorder. It does not show in the product page itself, however, so you would have to add verbage to that if you want it, such as "This item can still be ordered even if on backorder." Another option would be to put something in the title, such as Advance Orders, Waitlist, etc. If you are able to test this, and get it working, please mark the answer as a solution so we all know please.

Hi thanks for the reply. 

Yes I have already tested and unfortunately the customer is not informed during the order process, nor in the email confirmation. I have spoken to Godaddy and they advised to send a manual email confirming the item is on backorder, after the customer placed the order. Not a very good solution

You can’t even export your own product list. I really hope they find a solution soon. These are just basic requests.

Helper V

If you've done all 3 steps and it's not working, that is very upsetting to hear. Completely unacceptable. Customers need to know PRIOR to checkout if the item is out of stock!!

I agree not workable. The only thing I have done is setup a category to advise of pre-orders. Then wrote a page about the process. Still the order needs to note that the item is on backorder. 

Helper V

That's crazy. Why would we have the ability to even set inventory amounts if the store is not going to prevent the customer from making a purchase on an out of stock item, or AT LEAST, notifying them it is out of stock!??

New

I just set up a test product, 1 penny, free spg, o qty, yes backorder,,had a cust try buying it, it took the order, shes thinking shes going to get this item. she was charged a penny, no where in the ordering process or payment process was she alerted to the fact that there actually was a backorder on the product. The email she received after she paid said "thankyou for shopping with us. we have received your order. We'll send a confirmation after your items ship"
    This is Vague wording, is boardering on Bate And Switch, Deceptive Marketing, and has no place in any kind of reputable business dealings. If there is no item available to be shipped and received: & remember, customer may choose Express Shipping for 1-2 day delivery!,, without proper notification at time of purchase, they are essentially purchasing thin air. That's Crooked.
    GoDaddy, you've known about this for slong yime. It's shoddy, and shady of you to not fix it. You need to fix this problematic wording before the customer pays for it, to reflect truth and clear intent that the item purchased had been shown to have zero quantity in stock and that if the customer proceeds to complete the order, the merchant will recieved the order which will be filled in xxx amount of days ( to be predetermined by vendor). Only then should the order continue with the customer's OK, or allow them to cancel the order.
    Then the following email should reflect which choice the customer made,,so they can yes be notified when it ships, or, choose to try ordering again later, without their money being tied up in MaybeLand.
    New

My note to Godaddy, just now...
    "I just set up a test product, 1 penny, free spg, o qty, yes backorder,,had a cust try buying it, it took the order, shes thinking shes going to get this item. she was charged a penny, no where in the ordering process or payment process was she alerted to the fact that there actually was a backorder on the product. The email she received after she paid said "thankyou for shopping with us. we have received your order. We'll send a confirmation after your items ship"
    This is Vague wording, is boardering on Bate And Switch, Deceptive Marketing, and has no place in any kind of reputable business dealings. If there is no item available to be shipped and received: & remember, customer may choose Express Shipping for 1-2 day delivery!,, without proper notification at time of purchase, they are essentially purchasing thin air. That's Crooked.
    GoDaddy, you've known about this for along time. It's shoddy, and shady of you to not fix it. You need to fix this problematic wording, so it shows before the customer pays for it, to reflect truth and clear intent that the item purchased had been shown to have zero quantity in stock and that if the customer proceeds to complete the order, the merchant will recieved the order which will be filled in xxx amount of days ( to be predetermined by vendor). Only then should the order continue with the customer's OK, or allow them to cancel the order.
    Then the following email should reflect which choice the customer made,,so they can yes be notified when it ships, or, choose to try ordering again later, without their money being tied up in MaybeLand.

Hi @Steffs

Thank you for your input. We know it's not your intention to mislead your customers over the availability of inventory. We will pass along your comments to the product developers. 

When you know that you are out of a particular item in your store, have you considered - as many big retailers do - adding a temporary text line. Something like "Temporarily Out of Stock", "Item Will be Backordered for You"... or something to that effect. The action would be fairly simple and give your customers the expectation that you want. 

Again, thank you, as we continue to work on adding features and improvements to our GoCentral Store. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    Supporting you at x.co/247support
    Helper V

@TLH @Steffs I'd just like to say that, obviously, if we know an item is out of stock, we can take extra measures to add extra wording to say so. THAT is not the problem (although it's a pain to manage that manually if you are selling lots of products and have tons of business). The problem is as Steffs mentioned, that the FIRST time an item reaches the sold-out status, the customer is not informed before checking out. Had they been informed, they likely would have chosen another item to purchase, or at the very least, were aware that they were going to have to wait for a backorder if they purchased that item.

Once an order has been placed, 90% of people don't open the confirmation e-mail and check their list of purchases. If it tells them there that an item is on backorder, good--it should--but that is NOT when they need to find out. Likely, they won't check it for days or until the expected arrival date.

To make matters worse, they will be mad at us, and perhaps have to place ANOTHER order for another item, OR want to cancel the first order all together. Either way, it creates a customer service issue with considerable problems. If they place another order, who pays for the shipping? They had expected the item with already in their order, now it will be late, and are we expected to eat the shipping? What if they need it rushed? It's a lose-lose situation all the way around. It makes us look bad and makes for one very unhappy customer.

TLH, I hope that you will point these things out to the powers that be. Not only should it pop up and say it's out of stock when someone tries to order an out of stock item or too many of an item, but it should show in the shopping cart that it is on backorder, as well as on the confirmation email. This is precisely the issue I discussed with cust. svc. in 2017 and here we are 2 years later and it's not addressed. I appreciate you passing along comments to the developers--again--but they have known about this issue for a long time. Adding the wording you suggested doesn't fix the problem related to the first time the item reaches out of stock status, and that is what Steffs and others are particularly concerned with. Thanks.

Product Team
    Product Team

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your concern. Apologies for the inconvenience you have to go through.  I have included this issue on our backlog and we'll definitely address this soon. I don't have an ETA to share right now, but please stay tuned.

Thanks,

Mohan Kumaresh

Product Manager, Online stores

Helper V

@TLH @ProdMgr_OLS Thank you for seeing that this issue gets taken care of. The Online Store has the capacity to be an excellent product if we can get some of the basic features added.