• Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Highlighted

Help!! My website crashed and I'm locked out!

Yesterday, my website: caseydouglas.com (hosted by Godaddy, built on wordpress) crashed. It was giving 404 errors on all of the pages but the home page and the blog (wordpress.com), and the reset password link wasn't working.

Today, the whole site is down and wordpress doesn't even acknowledge that I have an account anymore. Unfortunately, the site wasn't backed up and none of the customer care numbers are working.

I looked around the cPanel File Manager and the only suspicious thing I could find was that in the directory /home/caseydouglas/mail/new there were several hundred new files created over the last few days.

Any ideas as to how to restore my site?

3 REPLIES 3
    Helper VI
    Helper VI
    Solution

Re: Help!! My website crashed and I'm locked out!

Hello.

There are a few steps which you have to do::
    1- Open your hosting account and go to File Manager
    2- Open the folder where you have your site
    3- go to ../wp-content/plugins
    4- rename all your plugin folders by adding -OLD to the end. For instance jetpack to jetpack-OLD
    5- after that accesses your site.
    6- If it works go back and rename one at the time to the original name (for instance jetpack-OLD to jetpack) and after each folder verify if your site is working.
    7- If it does not work try to solve the wordpress error by following the steps from here https://codex.wordpress.org/Common_WordPress_Errors

I hope this will help you. Good luck.

***Signature: -> Do not assume anything! If you want help, explain your problem. If my post helped you, give it a Kudo. If you have the solution, mark the topic as Solved.
    New

@CDouglas wrote:

Yesterday, my website: caseydouglas.com (hosted by Godaddy, built on wordpress) crashed. It was giving 404 errors on all of the pages but the home page and the blog (wordpress.com), and the reset password link wasn't working.

Today, the whole site is down and wordpress doesn't even acknowledge that I have an account anymore. Unfortunately, the site wasn't backed up and none of the customer care numbers are working.

I looked around the cPanel File Manager and the only suspicious thing I could find was that in the directory /home/caseydouglas/mail/new there were several hundred new files created over the last few days.

I had same problem. I am using Joomla but I do not think that is relevant.

The folder:

home/mywebsite/mail/new

had thousands of emails mainly it seemed from bots. I manually deleted them from the folder.

How do I prevent this from happening again?

Another question would be why are they in that folder?

Solution

Hey @miky,

If you've been getting a lot of mails seemingly from bots, it may indicate that a contact form on your site needs to have a captcha added to it.  This usually can stop most bots from spamming your site forms.  I believe a number of folks tend to lean towards offerings from reCAPTCHA, but I would recommend doing your research on which one would work best for you.

As far as why the emails ended up in the directory, I'm not entirely sure.  Our hosting team may be able to give you more insight, so you may want to give them a call.

Hope that helps.

ML - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    24/7 support available at x.co/24-7support