• GoDaddy Community
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

How To Set External/Internal Links To Open In Same Tab ?

Hi All -

Currently, whenever the link or image is clicked, it is redirecting the page to new tab. Could you please help me, how to set the link to open in same tab. This is really causing pain to my customers, as they have to move back and forth while placing orders.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
    Community Manager

Hi @ourunitylabs. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! When adding links in GoCentral, they should only open in a new tab if you choose the "Website URL" option. This is usually used to link to websites other than your own, which is why they always open in a new tab. You wouldn't be able to change this behavior in most of your sections. The only other option I can think of would be if you were adding links in an HTML section. Then you could script the link to open in the same tab, but you would really only be able to do this with text. Hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
    Community Manager

Hi @ourunitylabs. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! When adding links in GoCentral, they should only open in a new tab if you choose the "Website URL" option. This is usually used to link to websites other than your own, which is why they always open in a new tab. You wouldn't be able to change this behavior in most of your sections. The only other option I can think of would be if you were adding links in an HTML section. Then you could script the link to open in the same tab, but you would really only be able to do this with text. Hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

This is not working on my site.  The external links are opening in the same tab - which I do not want.

Help.

Jan W

Community Manager

Hi @FID1. Thanks for posting. That sounds pretty strange. I just tested this to make sure it still works the same way and any URL entered into the Website URL field when creating a link is opening in a new browser tab. If you're still having trouble, feel free to provide more details. Screenshots the process you're following would be very helpful. 

Using the website URL does not work. I have sections with multiple links. Some open in the same tab, some in a new tab.

It's a joke and a ripoff that this has not been fixed in a couple of years. target='_blank' could be implemented in heartbeat with a "New Tab" checkbox.

I tried an html section and that was even worse as it was improperly rendered and did not understand simple html such as   displaying it as a literal.

If one examines page source some links have target='_blank' and some don't:

Classes get duplicated with edits. I copied and pasted text from page source, but GoBadly can even parse their own

…. page source snippet removed showing duplicate and irrelevant classes removed ….

This is my 3rd decade writing webpages from scratch.

I 'inherited' a GoBadly solution.

It's the old adage. "Fast - Cheap - Good. Pick two."

However,in GoBadly's case it's none.

It takes too long to find workarounds for simple stuff

It doesn't work as desired, so value is low, as is customer satisfaction.

When I TRY TO POST AN EXAMPLE [copy and paste from 'error' shrinks the text and changing size only changes the line spacing. What else would you expect?: Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied.

Community Manager

Hi @IEales. I'd be happy to take a look at what you're experiencing if you can provide a URL to the page with the links and tell me which ones aren't working as intended. 

As for posting partial HTML script here in the forum, I'd advise you to use the </> button above so the code itself can be seen. Trying to render a partial piece of scripting using the HTML tab could easily produce that error if any scripting tags are missing. 

I solved it by completely deleting all the sections and starting over.
    Can you get GoBadly to credit me with $750 for the time spent debugging and fixing?

GoBadly loses its mind after a few edits and does not clear out properly

<p style="margin:0"><span class="x-el x-el-span c1-94 c1-95 c1-b c1-c c1-d c1-e c1-f c1-g x-d-ux">&nbsp;<a class="x-el x-el-a c1-22 c1-23 c1-90 c1-24 c1-5j c1-93 c1-27 c1-28 c1-29 c1-2a c1-b c1-96 c1-97 x-d-ux" class="x-el x-el-a c1-22 c1-23 c1-90 c1-24 c1-5j c1-93 c1-27 c1-28 c1-29 c1-2a c1-b c1-96 c1-97 x-d-ux" href="http://www.beachcomberpub.com/" rel=""><span class="x-el x-el-span c1-1 c1-2 c1-90 c1-b c1-93 x-d-ux">Beachcomber Pub</span></a> &nbsp;- &nbsp;Crook's Miniatures &nbsp;- &nbsp;<a class="x-el x-el-a c1-22 c1-23 c1-90 c1-24 c1-5j c1-93 c1-27 c1-28 c1-29 c1-2a c1-b c1-96 c1-97 x-d-ux" href="https://www.thewaterfrontdepot.com/" rel="noopener" target="_blank">Waterfront&nbsp;Depot</a> &nbsp;- <a class="x-el x-el-a c1-22 c1-23 c1-90 c1-24 c1-5j c1-93 c1-27 c1-28 c1-29 c1-2a c1-b c1-96 c1-97 x-d-ux" href="https://thesiuslawnews.com/" rel="noopener" target="_blank">The Siuslaw News</a>&nbsp;</span></p>

I found that by View Source on the published code, I could see what was happening.

When removing a link, the text would be left underlined due to the duplicate class

External links were disabled by the rel=""

as far as pasting HTML into the text message, it should just go in as colored text.
    The edit box should not attempt to parse it as HTML