• Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    New

How do I make my website private while I'm working on it?

Working on the website launcher but want to make it private but it's currently published. Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
    Solution

Re: How do I make my website private while I'm working on it?

Hi @tdsnyc,

To take the website down you can change the IP address to a parked IP. When you park your domain, visitors to your site will see a temporary Web page when they enter your domain name into their browser. Parking your domain simply means you are putting it on hold until you create your website. To park your domain just follow the steps in this article. . Once you are ready to go live you just hit the publish button and it should automatically change the parked IP to your website's IP.

Lisi - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    24/7 support available at x.co/247support
    New

How do you view the site online once you have parked it? And how long does it take for the parking to take effect? I changed the IP address as mentioned in the directions about twenty minutes ago and the site is still viewable. Thanks

Community Manager
    Community Manager

Hi @Gasol. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! Changing an A record will usually take a few hours. Once you do so, you won't be able to see the site online unless you update settings within your computer, which is a fairly technical process. You can see it outlined in this article. Alternatively, you could just change the site back to its free URL and view the site that way until you're ready to make it live. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.