• GoDaddy Community
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Community Team

How do you approach UX for eCommerce sites?

Pretty pictures and immaculate style isn't enough for eCommerce sites. You also need to consider the user experience (UX). This week we had a guest post from Cody Landefeld outlining four principles for handling UX in eCommerce site projects.

Excerpt: 

"It takes a matter of seconds to form first impressions when we meet new people. It’s not much different when it comes to the impression your ecommerce website makes on its first-time users. When a new user lands on your website, they need to know the answer to these three questions immediately.

1. What do we sell?
    2. What is our brand all about?
    3. What makes our product special (our value proposition)?

This information should be visible front and center on your home page without the user having to scroll down or engage any further on your website."

You can find more in his post on the Garage.

So, how do you approach UX design when building eCommerce websites?  What additional tips do you have that were missed in the post? Reply to this discussion and share your thoughts. 🙂

~*~

Senior Community Manager, GoDaddy Pro
    Need help with your account? Find 24/7 support at x.co/247support
    Browse our articles for website designers & developers on the GoDaddy Blog.
    Do you build websites for others? Join the GoDaddy Pro partner program.
    Follow @GoDaddyPro on Twitter for helpful tips, useful links and exclusive updates.
    1 REPLY 1
    Advocate VII

Hi,

Yes indeed, an excellent article. The topic of "Online Shopping Experience" has so many meanings and components!

The sales and activities at the web site are just a part of the "Online Shopping Experience." When it comes to presenting products, here's an 4-step layout that I've used often called AIDA.

Attention

Interest

Desire

Action

This pretty well applies to the site's front page as well as the product layout presentation.

For a product presentation, I try to have the Attention, Interest, and Desire elements just above the cart button.  Most often the attention is either a really good picture or a good "Tagline Header".  I also try to have another Desire and Action at the end of the detailed product description.

Excellent points on keeping the checkout simple and clean.

While many see the processing of the order as the end point of the "Online Shopping Experience", customer care and follow-up now enter into the picture and the experience continues.  For example, you now have  automated replies, autoresponders, delivering future marketing materials, live chat, ..... So, once the online sale is complete the customer care part of the shopping experience begins. 

As I've realized this, I'm now putting a ticketing system into my e-commerce installations.  For the clients, it gives them a way to personalize customer care and assign tasks to staff.  For the customer, it adds another level of professionalism since most big companies have ticketing systems and it is expected in "better stores".

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites