• Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Highlighted
    New

How to set the best page length and width for each page?

Question - on my site which is mainly comprised of photos - some pages have many, some very few - the page lengths on each seem to be set to mirror the longest one which leaves an annoying amount of 'black space' at the end of the other pages. For example, this page as few photos but the black space is really long. http://www.blockimages.com/edibles.html

Any idea how to set things so each page length is appropriate to that page?

Thanks!

33 REPLIES 33
    Helper II
    Solution

Re: How to set the best page length and width for each page?

@BobB

Pretty simple fix: Scroll to the bottom of your content, right click on the empty portion of the page, click the "gear/settings" to view "page background settings". for page height, simply slide the cursor toward the left, to get the page length you like.

If you scrolled to the bottom of your content and left yourself a "pleasing bottom margin", the cursor will have to be moved to the far left or nearly so.

As you move the cursor to the left, you'll notice the vertical scroll bar on the right side of the page, approaching the bottom of your screen.

New

tmaj - thanks for the advice! I'll give it a go when I update with photos from a recent trip to Wales & Cotswolds.

Much appreciated

Bob

Hey @BobB,

Thanks for taking the time to join us here on the community! I'm looking forward to seeing the new photos! Site is looking good so far! Smiley Happy

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    24/7 support available at x.co/247support

Greetings!

I was having the same problem and can confirm that that solved my problem.  Thanks!!

Employee
    Employee

Awesome @pgbsimon! Thanks for letting us know that this worked for you! Also, welcome to the community!

Heather - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    New

A late response - was waiting to get to site update - your solution worked perfectly - many thanks!

Here it is: www.blockimages.com

Bob

I was having the same issue... Didn't realize going to bottom of page, then pressing the page length button, was the golden ticket. Thanks so much!!!

New

I tried this on my site, but it did not work.  I right clicked on the blank space just below my content, selected Settings, but the page height cursor was already all the way to the left.  I tried to manually type in a smaller value for the height, but that did not change anything either.  Any other suggestions?

Ken

For me, my page size has hit the "minimum" for page size even though there is still a ton of space. How do make this better?

This is likely a truly "rookie" question, but...

I have a ton of excess empty space at the bottom of my website's pages.

1) How do I reduce the empty space? and;

2) If I reduce it on one of the site's pages, does that uniformly change the page length for each one (I have 6 pages on my site.), or can I change each one based on the amount of content?

Thanks!

Employee
    Employee

What kind of hosting do you have?

To be honest, I'm not sure what to tell you.

I'm using GoDaddy Website Builder, but a page popped up saying I had no web hosting (is that even possible?).

Employee
    Employee
    Solution

Hosting is embedded inside Website Builder so it wouldn't be listed under Web Hosting. But the good news is that you answered my question! Ha! try following these screenshots:

right click on the background and click on "Page Settings", then use the "Height" slider to adjust the length of the screen
    WSB-pagesettings-height.png

I'm having the same issue with page width.  When I preview the site I am creating, you have to scroll far right to see my pages, every one of them.  But the width setting is minimized completely.  Did you solve your issue?  I need help too!!

Thanks, "S". It's a good start, but that seems to allow me to lengthen the page. I'm trying to shorten it. Mine starts at "2766 px" and lets me increase it, but I can't decrease.

Suggestion(s)?

New

http://www.ussutah1941.org/home.html

I cannot get the page width correct. I scroll on the settings slider bar, but no matter what I do it shows it as being too wide. I have reformatted my headers and footers and made sure there is nothing too far on the right side of the page. 

Further, the website looks okay on my work computer, but when I get on my personal laptop I have to zoom down to 67% to get everything to fit on the screen.

Any suggestions? Isn't there a way to make the page fit on all size monitors?

Thanks!

Bob U.

Re: Page Width Issues

Hey @Rob940

Welcome to the community! Smiley Happy

You mentioned the width displays correctly from your work computer, but not your laptop? That usually indicates a difference in screen resolution settings on your personal laptop which might be set lower than your work computer. Do you know what settings each are set to? Which one are you primarily working off of? 

Hey @1stTimer.

Are you just trying to use the slider? You should also be able to manually enter in a value for the length as well. 

If that doesn't work, I recommend reaching out to our live support so they can look at your project directly. There's possibly some hidden content within the page that's preventing the value from being reduced that they can help remove. 

HI,

I have the same problem but moving the curser all the way to the left does not get rid of the problem.

www.compareenergyeasy.co.uk

Please help.

Thanks in advance

Helper II

@Sully1403

The page looks find to me. When viewing the page, on your computer, hold down the "Ctrl" button and adjust the width of the page to your monitor size, with the scroll button on your mouse.

I am working on a site with Website Builder v7. The site width is set to 1000 pixels. When I view the site on my iPhone 6, there is a section on each side of the screen that is being cut off. This is not happening on my laptop. Mobile is not turned on because I don't want to pay extra for it, AND I don't like the look of this theme in mobile. (It removes the entire header) I am not able to pinch the screen and zoom out to see the cut off portions either, which is unusual. Specifically, the Facebook link on the left and the Instagram link on the right of the cloud header are not being shown. Any suggestions? I've tried seeking help via live chat, but the only thing they seem to know, is how to try and upsell you.

www.megancurtis.com

Hi, same problem here, every page on the site is set to be as long as the longest page.  which makes for goofy looking pages.  How would I find this hidden content if i have no background and have gone to the bottom of the page?  thank you

Hi Megan,

Did you get this problem resolved?  Your site looks the same on my macbook and my iphone 5s, with nothing cut off.  For what it is worth, I have had my website (https://www.thermashieldspokane.com) built with business plus website builder for 3 years, mobile and desktop, and I don't pay anything extra for the mobile site.  I would recommend it primarily because google now gives ranking preference to sites that are mobile friendly.

Alex 

Also make sure you do have have anything like a page counter hit meter or anything like something left over from designing your page. I had one line that was very thin but when you left click and hold to make a box and its yellow on my pc you will be able to find highlighted on any page then you can delete it and size you pages. Hope this helps.

Have a blessed day all

Hi there! I am having issues with my mobile version of my website. The website looks the way I want it to in the desktop and acceptable in the mobile version EXCEPT there is a huge white blank space between the header (with phone and direction icon) and our company name/logo along with the rest of the page content. Do any of you know how to get rid of this? Our website was originally made in dream web design but I have been adjusting it as our business grows. Any insight would be great! Thanks!

Community Manager
    Community Manager

Hi @futsalclub, hopefully, you were able to work with some of the settings to get this to display a little closer to how you'd like it to appear online.  If you're still having trouble,  maybe you could post your domain name so our community members can take a look at the site.  If you'd rather not post the domain publicly, please give our live support teams a call and have our agents take a look.  

Thanks!

MPC

I'm more or less new to the GoDaddy website builder and I've encountered a problem that's very frustrating. Whenever I go to the page settings to alter the page width, all my other pages will also adjust to that width which I don't want. The length setting seems to be set for each page individually but the width isn't cooperating. 

Helper II

Why godaddy is still using pixel dimensions is mind boggling. They need to convert to % units asap = problems solved. 

That solution didn't work for me until I hid the website-builder logo under my header. I did this because the logo didn't respond to the 'only on this page' option; deletion of the logo from one page meant deletion from every page, and its placement on one page determined its placement (and therefore page length since it was at the bottom) on every page. You can't make a page shorter than the content already on the page.

Greeting!

I'm also having a similar problem with the page length but its the opposite of the previous question asked. My question is, is there a limit to the page size. I have a page that I'm working on that has a lot of content and I'm able to reach the bottom of the page and make it longer but at a certain point it doesn't allow me to add anything else (photos, text, videos, etc.). But if i move further up the page and try to add it there it allows me to do so and also allows me to move it further down the page but when I exit the page the content that I've added moves to the very top of the page instead of staying where I placed it. 

Is there a limit to the size the page can be and how far down a context on a page can go?

Helper II

Is there a location for page size dimensions in pixels? if you can change that to % it should help. 

If not, look at how you're placing it... sounds like a div war that is placed in the wrong spot in the code... if you have a code builder try a new plugin because like above, the page is usually as long as the content that is fit in it. 

I did this page length fix on each page for our site and it worked perfectly.  I'm still have issues with page width.

I've tried adding site settings in the site-wide code:

<"meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, user-scalable=no">

and  

<center>bit_in_the_middle</center>

Neither of these are working.  Any other fix ideas?