cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Highlighted
    New

Instructions for Password Protecting a Directory Did Not Work For Me

I followed the instructions at https://www.godaddy.com/help/password-protect-directories-16244 but they did not work for me. Users are not prompted to enter credentials, they just see a page telling them that access is forbidden. There is no option to enter a username and password. Where can I get more information about this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
    Highlighted
    Super User I Super User I
    Super User I
    Solution

Re: Instructions for Password Protecting a Directory Did Not Work For Me

Hello @mramos,

I'm wondering what you are using for your website? It almost sounds like you are using WordPress or something then trying to protect directories on top of it? The steps you followed are for file system protection and not to be used as a member login experience as the post itself notes.

If you are intending to handle access to your file directories then following the steps listed should put you into the directory AND below that you should see the user? What you have to do is check Password protect this directory,  fill out a name for Enter a name for the protected directory (I usually use the directory name), then hit the Save button. Directly below that is the create user (see screenshot). Hope that helps?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
    Highlighted
    Super User I
    Solution

Hello @mramos,

I'm wondering what you are using for your website? It almost sounds like you are using WordPress or something then trying to protect directories on top of it? The steps you followed are for file system protection and not to be used as a member login experience as the post itself notes.

If you are intending to handle access to your file directories then following the steps listed should put you into the directory AND below that you should see the user? What you have to do is check Password protect this directory,  fill out a name for Enter a name for the protected directory (I usually use the directory name), then hit the Save button. Directly below that is the create user (see screenshot). Hope that helps?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Had the same issue.  Finally figured out that in the "Privacy" -- "Password" dialog box, after you add one or more users + passwords ... you then need to *checkmark* the user, and then click OK.  Otherwise, although it appears that user is connected with that folder, it's not effective until the user is checked!

Highlighted

Instant Pages Website Builder : Password Protected Pages/Client Portals

Hi,  have Go Daddy's Instant Pages Website Builder. 

May I set up separate client portals using password protected pages (for each client user?)? Or do I need to get a client portal add-on of some kind?

I am still relatively new and I'm not clear about the capacities of the Godaddy Website Builder that I'm using. I would like to create separate -- and interactive -- pages for multiple users :

One part of the website for general access

then separate pages , private and password protected, for multiple users. Thanks. 

Highlighted
    New

I'm having a similar problem trying to restrict access to a directory on a WordPress site.  It's a training directory the owner put out for employees.  When I follow the Directory Privacy instructions and "Password protect this directory" and setup the user it isn't working.  When I type in the address it takes me to the site's "Page Not Found" not to a login window.  Any suggestions?

Highlighted

I have the exact same problem, and I've tried the solution but still can't get it to work. I still get a "403 - Forbidden: Access is denied. You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied."-message when I log in.

Any suggestions?

Highlighted

Password protected page

I'd like to add a page to my site that requires user to input a password to enter. I'm lost as to how to do this. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Highlighted

Password Protecting a Site / Page

I've produced a site which I am required to have authorised prior to open publication. A single username and password is sufficient. Following authorisation the username and password can be removed. I'm using Serif Webplus x 8, so straightforward site construction and cPanel / Go daddy for FT and hosting. Any suggestions on achieving this simply would be welcome 🙂

Highlighted

Re: Instant Pages Website Builder : Password Protected Pages/Client Portals

Hi @1Margot,

I am having the same issue regarding my website. I am using the Managed Wordpress on GoDaddy.

Like you I also wanted to create pages that a client can access with his/her username and password.

I would really like to know if you have found a solution to your problem.

It would be great if you could please help me out.

Thank you,

Vishesh Jain

Highlighted

Hi there,

To be honest, at the time I had the instant website builder, I learned that it lacked this capability. So, I ended up switching to wordpress, which is more versatile. The website builder might have changed since then, though, so see if you can get an answer from somebody else. Good luck. 

Highlighted

Hi @1Margot,

Thank you for your prompt response.

Do you mind telling me, after switching to Wordpress, were you able to resolve your issue?

I am trying to do the same thing using Wordpress and have failed so far.

If yes, do you mind telling me how did you do it.

Thank you,

Vishesh Jain

Highlighted

Hi there, 

1. There is a plug-in that you can get with wordpress.org which allows you to make client portals. It's not expensive and it works well.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/great-wordpress-plugin-client-portal-christine-redshaw

http://www.wpbeginner.com/plugins/5-best-wordpress-membership-plugins-compared/

2. OR (with wordpress.com or wordpress.org): you can make password protected pages and give each client a password. This works if you have a small number of clients. You can create pages for each of your clients. 

Wordpress has a good support team -- so I think they will walk you through what you need. 

I hope this helps. The technology changes pretty fast. Maybe godaddy now allows this capability but when I posed the question, the website builder did not allow me to create client portals. Wordpress was better in that regard. 

Good luck. 

Highlighted
    Super User I

Good information @1Margot, thank you for contributing. This particular post is about Website Builder though. Perhaps you'd like to post this to a WordPress thread OR into a new thread in under the Managing WordPress category so that it can be more widely seen?

Highlighted

Thanks, Yes, I know the thread is  for webuilder. 

I was replying to a question about webbuilder , at first. Sure, it can be placed in another area.