• Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Highlighted
    New

Is contact form email down?

Is secureserver.net down? For the past 48 hours the contact form on my site has not been delivering messages to my email. I tried submitting messages for myself, and while everything seems to work fine the emails are not being delivered to me. I made sure I disabled the spam filters and even changed the receiving email address to test, but still not working. I am using a send_message.php that has not given me any problems for years. Thank you
    5 REPLIES 5
    Highlighted

Re: Is contact form email down?

Hi @Lucky7, thanks for posting.

I'm not aware of any issues affecting emails sent from forms. Without any error messages, it's hard to say what the issue might be. You may want to try using a simple php mail() test script to see if that works. If not, you may want to contact Support to have them review/test your account.

^Gary

Gary - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    24/7 Support | Check System Status
    Highlighted
    New

Contact form nightmare!

I have a website on Godaddy, with a contact form where visitors send me messages.

The contact page where people enter the messages has this action line in the code

form method="post" action="send.php"

This sends the data to the "send.php" file, which contains the following line of code for my email address where I receive the messages, and the subject of the received messages

mail("xxxxxx@gmail.com", "Form Submission",
    "

This setup worked perfectly for several years. Then suddenly two weeks ago I stopped receiving the messages in my email. I went to the send.php file and changed the receiving email address thinking maybe my email provider was blocking them, but it didn't work even though I tried 4 different email addresses from different providers.

I tried everything I could think of for hours, installed PHPMailer, nothing worked. Then finally by mere chance I changed the subject of the emails in the send.php file from "Form Submission" to "Feedback" and suddenly all started working!

Since I had tried several receiving emails and none worked, I was left with the conclusion that Godaddy was blocking messages titled "Form Submission" from being sent, probably by their internal spam filter or something. To be perfectly sure I went back to the send.php file and changed the subject of the emails back to "Form Submission" and it stopped working again and no emails showed up, then I changed to subject to other words and it worked every time.

I decided not to investigate further and accepted that the contact form worked fine with the new subject "Feedback" in the send.php file, then after working flawlessly for two weeks it stopped again. You'd send a message, receive a normal success, but the emails do not show up in my email. Now that I know the issue I went and changed the subject of sent email in the send.php file from "Feedback" to "Contact request", and it worked again.

Now I can't just sit and wait until it stops working again and I lose a bunch of messages before I go and change the subject in the send.php to make it work again. Can someone please tell me how to deal with this and why does Godaddy mysteriously block messages with certain "subjects" without a warning?

The issue is too complicated for me to tell to a customer service representative over the phone in an expensive overseas call, so hopefully this can be considered a support ticket.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Highlighted

Re: Contact form nightmare!

Hey @Lucky7,

As this is a public discussion forum, this wouldn't be a regular support channel for account specific issues. If you believe there's filtering on the hosting side preventing the messages from being sent out, you would need to reach out to our live support via phone or live chat so our hosting team can help investigate into the cause.

However, I don't think it's filtering on our end since you mentioned receiving notifications of the messages being successfully sent out and no errors returned confirming a failed delivery of the message. Sounds more like something within the messages is triggering filtering on the recipient side. Have you checked bulk message folders with the gmail account you're having the form messages sent to? 

Another thing you may want to consider is using another address other than gmail to send the message to. When using form mailers, it's recommended to instead use an email address setup under the same domain name of the site to send the messages to so that third party filtering cannot be a factor affecting the delivery of these messages. 

If any other member has a another suggestion, I hope they'll take a moment to share some thoughts to help out here. 

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    24/7 support available at x.co/247support
    Highlighted
    New

Thanks for replying. I said this my message above, and I quote it again here

I went to the send.php file and changed the receiving email address thinking maybe my email provider was blocking them, but it didn't work even though I tried 4 different email addresses from different providers.

4 different email providers were tested, nothing comes through. One of the 4 was my godaddy email address  @ the same domain. The problem is filtering on your side. I tried bare-bones simple mail() form but nothing worked. After that I added headers and a return path pointing to my actual email@mydomain hosted on Godaddy but it didn't work. Once the subject of the message is changed in the send.php changes it works.

Chat does not work. I would like an email address to send my specifics to, because an expensive international call where I'll have to explain all of this all over again is not a good solution. Thanks.

Highlighted
    New

---------