• Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

Making pages require login for residents

I am creating a website for a Homeowner's Association. I would like to make my announcements page and my records page require a login for residents and I am not sure how to do that.

I am using the GoDaddy GoCentral Website Builder trial currently.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance!

59 REPLIES 59

Re: Making pages require login for residents

Hi @ChelseaPlace, thanks for posting.

GoCentral Website Builder does not support user accounts or logins. There isn't a great alternative way to set this up in GoCentral, but perhaps a Community member will have a suggestion. ^Gary

Gary - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    24/7 Support | Check System Status
    New

I have a GoCentral website and would like a login page - any luck or tips?

New

How can I add 1 page to GoCentral website with login

I need to add a page where members of an HOA can login or use a password to access specific files.  I can use just one login and password.  Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance.

Super User II Super User II
    Super User II

Re: How can I add 1 page to GoCentral website with login

@dgil80

Password protected pages are not a feature offered on the GoCentral platform.  Yet, anyways.  I know lots of folks have inquired about that and I know they are constantly updating and adding new features and functionality.  So maybe that is something in the future?

With most page builder platforms you are limited to the features and widgets built into the platform.  In the case of GoCentral the "Add a Section" list of options is all that is available for each page.

HTH! Smiley Wink

Judith
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Employee
    Employee
    Solution

Hi All!

Thanks for letting us know this was an important feature for all of your beautiful sites! I just wanted to let you know that GoCentral Site Builder does now offer members-only page functionality, and we have lots of other cool membership-related features on the way. 

Pages can be "Members-Only" and you can manage a list of members, so only people on that list will be able to login and view the members-only pages on your site. If you want to try that out, you can go to the page settings of a specific page to toggle that on, or you'll now see the option available when you create a new page. That setting looks like this:

Members-Only Toggle Gif.gif

For my page, i'm not seeing the 'Member Only' option.

Neither in an existing or new page.

Where is this feature you speak of @EricJ. Would definitely solve for some of these WIX migrations which i won't have to consider if this feature is available.

Please clarify.....

Existing Page:                            New Page:

downloadpic.PNGdownloadpic1.PNG

I just checked the settings section of a sub-page, and there is no toggle to require members-only to view that page.

Why?

I see the same issue.   Will go to Wix if they can't fix this feature.  

I see it; I have GoDaddy Business Central. Not sure how well it will work; it says "Members are emailed a link and can access these pages as long as they're logged in. Add members as soon as you publish a members-only page." Will see how this works!

So...it "works" in that it tells you you need a link to access the page, and prompts you for your email address so you can receive the link.  However, the email never arrives.

New

I am having the same issue. Users type in their email address to get access link and they do not receive a email. Started having a issue for a few users and now no user gets any links.

I am having the same issue.

I set the members feature and entered some emails to login.

I never received the login emails from GoDaddy

Is there a solution?

Same issue I am having. I just built my business website and put in multiple email addresses, yet I do not see in my dashboard anything having to do with member requests. I have to manually add an email address in order for that email to receive a link. 

So does this mean I have to ask all my customers to give me their email addresses in any other way except for through the website?

Must still be in development I guess. 

New

I can add a members page and have done so with content. BUT! Members are not receiving the email link invite.  Any solutions to this problem?

Employee
    Employee

I see a few old posts here in which U.S. users mention not seeing this feature available in their account.

I sincerely apologize for the delay.  It seems my notification settings weren't configured correctly, and I am only seeing some of these posts now.  Especially early on, it seemed a few users were finding their default country was incorrectly listed for some reason.  If your country is not set up as "US," this feature will not be available in your account yet.  At this time, it has only been released in the US market.

If that seems to be the case for you, here is the solution:

-Login to your GoDaddy account

-To the right of the GoDaddy header at the top of your page, click on the small globe icon

-Choose the U.S. as your country.

If there's anything else I can do to help, please don't hesitate to let me know. Again, I apologize for the delay here.

Employee
    Employee

@Dawne60,

Sorry for the delay here. I was not notified of your response, and had to dig into my settings to figure out why.

If you're still having trouble with this, I just wanted to follow up and see how I can help.  This feature should function effectively, but it is still in beta testing, and we know there is functionality that will improve it a lot, which we're trying to add as quickly as we can.  Here are a few things that might be the reason why emails are not being sent or received.

1. Email addresses entered into the login form on your site will not receive a link unless you've added them to your member list. If you need to add or edit your member list, here's how that works:  https://www.godaddy.com/help/change-or-delete-website-members-27857

2. Email addresses imported to your member list will not receive an email notification at the time of import unless you select the checkbox to notify your new members (See Step 7 Here: https://www.godaddy.com/help/add-multiple-website-members-27851).  In this case, added members should, however, still be able to request a link on your site whenever they want to.  

3. It's possible your inbox is placing these emails into a separate folder because of a setting or filter you have in place. Gmail for instance, may mark the message as an "update."  In rare cases, your inbox may also mark the message as "junk" or "spam." If you find a message in one of those areas, the inbox should let you mark that message as "not spam" or move it back to your main inbox, and that should prevent future mistakes.

In case it's helpful, I'll also be happy to let you know what functionality we're working on at this time. Very soon, we will have a notification feature, so that you can manually send (or re-send) a login link to any of your members anytime you want.

In the future, we're adding functionality to let your site visitors "create an account" (and you will be able to choose if that requires your approval or not).  At this time, only you can create member accounts for your members by adding them to that member list, but we're eager to improve that process.

We're also going to allow members to create a password, so they can login with that (instead of using this special link).  

Thanks!
    Eric

Employee
    Employee

@hurllz@6Clover@InteriorArt@TAC-6: So sorry for the delay here.  It was unintentional, and I believe I've resolved that, so I won't miss replies moving forward. Please see my reply to @Dawne60 above, and let me know if you have further questions, or if there's anything else I can do to help.  This feature is still in early development, and we are very welcome to any and all feedback about how we can build it to best meet your needs.

Thanks!
    Eric

Thanks so much, @EricJ!  Thanks for the direct link to the "add/edit new members" article; I had actually used this before and forgotten about it.  I had, however, checked the "notify" button (#2 below).  It seemed that I had to add people a couple of times to get it to "take",  but it's possible that it went to their junk/spam/"clutter" folders, who knows.  The new features sound great, particularly the "create an account" and "password".  But really, all of the features you describe below are welcome enhancements.  Thanks so much again for getting back to me. - Dawne

When will the more robust password option be available?

Have you created an option in webSite Builder to oblige users to use a password to access certain pages on your site?  Is it available now?

No, but I’d like to be able to

New

@EricJ 

I have members in my member list that have lost their original email link, so they enter their email on the "request a new link" page, and they never receive the email.  For some, I could manually push another notification to them, and they would be able to log in.  For others, if they tried requesting a new link too many times, their ID gets locked out and the link in my manual push won't work.  For these members, I have to delete them from the member list, then re-add them and manually push another email out to them, then they would be able to log in.  Is this a known bug that is being worked on?  Is there a better way to work around this?

New

It has been approximately 3.5 months since you stated that there would be a password option for access to the members only areas. Just looking for an update on a solid ETA of that launch. 

Using one email to access a website is not an efficient or realistic way to access members only areas. I am desperate to launch my website for a host of users and due to my inability to code HTML and the likely complexity involved in this, I would love an update on the ETA of your launch ASAP.

Thanks!

Highlighted
    Product Team
    Product Team
    Solution

Hi Markhartung! I just wanted to let you know that password login is now available (and is the default) for new websites with members-only pages in the US.  If you're in the US, and create a new site, or add your first members-only pages to an existing site, you'll see that as the login method sitewide.  If you already have members-only pages that are using the "magic link" login method, those will not be changed, but there will be an option soon to switch over to the password login method if you prefer it.

Product Team
    Product Team

At this time, any site that adds members-only pages for the first time will, by default, require members to login with a password to access those members-only pages.  

Product Team
    Product Team

Sorry to hear that, @KaiKai

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. The limit you're describing was put in place to prevent excessive sending, but we will revisit the limit on the number of times that the email can be sent.  As for the original emails that your members request, it's unclear why they would not receive it. That's not a known bug that has been reported before.  It's possible it's related to inbox configuration or something else, but it should not be a common problem. If that's the case, it may be worth further investigation to try to figure out why.

For new sites, we're not defaulting to a password login. It still requires an initial email to be received (for the member to create their password), but then they can login anytime with that password.  In the near future, we'll offer an option to switch over to that style of login if you prefer it.

New

@exj

Could you give a timeframe as to when we can switch over existing members only pages to use a password?  I have very frustrated users right now with the emails being lost or not working.

Employee
    Employee

@KaiKai: We're hoping to have that available in the next 2-4 weeks, though it may be necessary to email all site members again after the site has been modified, so that they can create passwords.

New

@EricJ  

I went to reset a user today, and noticed that the email that gets sent now has a link to "sign-in".  The message says send a password creation email to new members.  However, when the user clicks on the "sign-in" link, it just brings them to the website page, with no option to create a password.  The message also says the link will expire in 20 days.  So do I now have to resend emails to the users every 20 days?

New

Hello, I am missing a piece of this puzzle.  How do you add a member, even manually?  I can't seem to find this option.  I am using Website Builder Business vNext.

Thank you

New

@LAB1

Go to the Dashboard, and there is a "Members" option in the menu.  Hope this helps.

Passwords for Members Only Pages - HELP!!!

I started my website in July...am I considered a new customer or old customer. Two days ago I added my Member email addresses. I have not notified all of them yet, only two as a test.  In both cases it kept asking them to sign in with their email address and look in their inbox for a message with a "link"....they  hit the "link" click through and took them back to the previous page asking for sign in with email address.   Very frustrating. 

I finally got one to go through but only after about three tries....NO MENTION OF CREATING A PASSWORD.....CAN SOMEONE PLEASE WALK ME THROUGH THIS...OR DO A SCREEN SHOT OF HOW THIS APPEARS TO MY MEMBERS???   

Re: Passwords for Members Only Pages - HELP!!!

Here's how it looks - 3 times trying....Smiley Sad

You're in!
    We’ve approved your request, and you can now access the members-only pages for (name of my website).

Sign in.

Important: This link will be valid for 20 days. Anyone with this link can sign in as you. Please keep it private.

Account sign in

If you’ve been granted access to this site’s members-only pages, enter your email address and we’ll send you a sign-in link.

Top of Form

GET LINK

Bottom of Form

Check your inbox.

We emailed the sign-in link to the address you entered. If you don’t receive the email, contact the website owner and verify your membership.

Top of Form

GET LINK

You're in!
    We’ve approved your request, and you can now access the members-only pages for (name of my website)

Sign in.

Important: This link will be valid for 20 days. Anyone with this link can sign in as you. Please keep it private.

Account sign in

If you’ve been granted access to this site’s members-only pages, enter your email address and we’ll send you a sign-in link.

Top of Form

GET LINK

Check your inbox.

We emailed the sign-in link to the address you entered. If you don’t receive the email, contact the website owner and verify your membership.

Top of Form

GET LINK

You're in!
    We’ve approved your request, and you can now access the members-only pages for (name of my website)

Sign in.

Okay this is my last post of the night....after the three previous tries, the link finally worked.

This must be a bug in the system....I hope so anyway because my Members would not be patient

enough to go through this exercise. 

I am SOOOO glad haven't "Notified" all of my members.

I did notice this is still in Beta mode....I will wait until the bugs are fixed and hope the Password

option gets added in and all will be well in the Go Daddy world....Smiley Happy  Had a great tech support

conversation today on other issues so keeping my hope up.

Employee
    Employee

@KaiKai: Thanks for bringing this to our attention. The language there should not have mentioned password creation (yet).  We're working to resolve this now, but the original version of our login functionality requires you to send a link to your members, and they can click on the link to login and gain access.  Links do expire after 20 days for security reasons, but they will be sent a new link in the future if they try to login with an expired link.

Employee
    Employee

@suzwhitman1026: I'm so sorry to hear you've been having trouble with the feature.  I now we did have a recent outage that may have affected you, and that's since been corrected. I'll reach out to you directly as well to see how else I can help!

A member in my members list requested access to the members only page.  They put the correct email address in, received the email to login... when they clicked "sign in", it took them back to the "Account sign in" page to request link again.

What is the status of the Member Only system....still "bugs". 

Can we now have a Member Only page with a password login - or not.

If we are not able to have a password login is the Member Only feature 

working properly with allowing them access via an email??  

Seems lots of us are waiting patiently...maybe I missed something.

Employee
    Employee

Thanks for reaching out about this, @lambwatson!

If a login link is expired (this happens after 20 days or after a new link has been requested), then clicking on an older version of the link will not automatically log the user in.  In this case, they would be directed to that page, so they can request a new (updated) link.  If that user was confident the link they clicked on was the newest login link and had not yet expired, then that certainly shouldn't happen.  If you provide more details, I'd be happy to investigate further. 

Thanks much!

EJ

Employee
    Employee

Thanks, suzwhitman1026!

Your patience is certainly appreciated!  We know we've had some bugs to work through during this beta release, but we think they're largely resolved. New sites that activate this feature will utilize a password-style login by default, but we're still working through some challenges in transitioning existing sites to that login method.  Our intent is to enable that in the near future. In the meantime,  I'll reach out to you directly to see how I can help.

Best,
    EJ

New

Not sure if you have figured this out yet, but I found out by creating a page and designating for members only

@EricJ,

Members only password feature - I understand not available on sites that were created earlier

this year. 

??? Can you test my site for Members to be able to get in via the email link....because that wasn't working

so well....multiple attempts were needed. 

You'd need to send me an email address and I would add you to my Members.  Can you do that?

Suzanne

Ever heard of HTML Password Lock?  I have used that before and it works pretty good.    

Making pages require login for member but can not see the member only button at the bottom ...please help 

Hi @EricJ  ....this email answered many of my questions but I have a couple more. Is the "create an account" action set up yet so my members can have a sign-in password and not have to get a link in their email each time they want to view that page? Right now I have to add my members and they get the email notification, which may or may not work.

If so, can you send me a link as to where I may find this information. Or if not, an eta?

thanks

Robin

Product Team
    Product Team

@gutmind: It sounds like you might not be able to activate this feature on your site because we haven't released it in your market yet.  Are you in the US?  We plan to release to other countries in March, but will probably not make it to the EU until May.  Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help!

Product Team
    Product Team

Thanks, Robin ( @hlwebsite )! I'll be happy to help with that question as well!

If a private page was first added to a new website in the last 2-3 months (or if a site is created now), it will include password login by default. Site visitors who are granted access to private pages on the site can create a password, and use it to login.  If a site was created before that feature was released, then the site will use "magic link" login, which requires a link to be sent to the site visitor's inbox, and they can click on it to login.  We plan to let site owner's that are currently using "magic link" to switch over to a password login if they prefer, but that won't likely be available until right around May.  If you need to update your site sooner, you can reach out to me directly, provide me with your site domain and an email address where I can reach you, and I'll see if we can help.

The other feature that's expected to be released in March is "account creation," which will allow your site visitors to create an account without an invitation from you.  Once they have an account, they can login to visit private pages on the site, and also see their account info, booking history, orders history, and lots more features coming up soon.  Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help!

Best,
    Eric

How about members only but no password required?

I'm wondering if there's a way to have a members only page that doesn't require a password, but that only invited members can access? 

Thanks!

Thank you Eric...perfect - exactly what I needed to know.