cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Highlighted

Need a Website to display and navigate huge collection

Hello all,

I have a huge collection of more than 2000 novelties. I want to make it available to a select group of people and institutions. I need some specific things to do that. Here is my wish list:

• up-gradable database capability - as needed
    • drop-down menus for easy selection of items to view
    • multiple layers of access -- to be able to select an item, click on it and see the details, click on pictures to see up to 4 images.
    • navigate with categories or tags -- there are 34 categories and about 50 tags.
    • search the database to see specific items.
    • it would be great to be able to protect the images so they can't be copied -- but that is a wish.
    • ability to have people add comments about their experiences with various items -- this would have to be monitored by me so I don't get inappropriate comments.
    • free and paid access to the database -- with permission.
    • an open public gallery for images of select items.
    • a blog for my input
    • a way for people to pay for access, if necessary.
    • a way for me to sell my upcoming book on the topic.

Ok, I think that's a pretty comprehensive list. Any ideas would be appreciated. I have limited experience with this type of project, however I am pretty computer literate.

Thank you all, in advance, for your assistance.

1 REPLY 1
    Super User III Super User III
    Super User III
    Solution

Re: Need a Website to display and navigate huge collection

Much of this can be achieved in WordPress with plugins.  Take a look and see if it will work for your needs.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/

Also, there is no surefire way to protect images online.  Effectively they are transmitted to visitors computers in order to display on their screen.  You can watermark the images with your logo so the source is clear and to discourage misuse.