Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Highlighted

Newbie here (website issues)

Hi to everyone; 

i just finished and published my website: www.designed4sale.com 

Unfortunately no matter what keywords I use....my website doesn’t show up I’ve used Home renovations, interior design, etc... and zippo doesn’t exist. If I search for Designed for sale, one in Australia shows up and everything under the sun with the word Designed or sale show up but my site doesn’t show up after the search ends in page 12. 

I’m definitely doing something wrong! 

I would highly appreciate any te any suggestions or thoughts about my site.

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
    Highlighted
    Solution

Re: Newbie here (website issues)

Thanks for your prompt response to my question. I'm definitely not a tech guy at 66 I feel that I've learned a lot over the past few weeks since I decided to put up my small business on the web. However, I understand the importance of keywords and SEO but I haven't been able to find where to add it to my website? I have a Go Daddy website builder the cheaper version....just starting the business on a shoestring budget!! 

I'm concerned that I've done something wrong with the website because it only comes up if I type the domain in. If i search it with various keywords it doesn't show up and even when I use the name of the business it flat out doesn't show up. I've done probably 50 searches over the past few days and no luck...I'm giving up after page 20 of each search because I understand that the Google algorithm is geared to ads first and then those paying for certain keywords.  In my case since I don't have the budget to pay google for keywords I know that I must do better with my website wording.

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated it. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
    Super User I Super User I
    Super User I
    Solution

None of us are tech guys @designed4sale, we're all learning and at sixty-six you are just past middle age in my book.

I'll give you the cheapest SEO tip I have. Have people search for you. I know that sounds simple but it works. The more people search for you and find you the better your rank gets. You searching yourself really does no good because even if you were to find yourself on the first page of your computer that would just be for your computer. You need people searching for you, the more people the better. 

Here's the trick. Enlist your friends and family to search for you. Tell them specifically what to search for and have them click through to your website. Send out a mass text that says "go online and search 'home renovations designed 4 sale' please", have others search 'interior design designed 4 sale' another group 'home design kingwood' and do that for every keyword. Make it a game or make it a question "Hey guys, can you search 'kingwood design 4 sale' and tell me what page my website designed4sale.com shows up on? Don't say "Google me..." unless you're just trying to optimize for Google. Just day "search" and let them pick their own engine. 

For those wanting to try this at home print up business cards, don't put any contact information on them. No website, no phone number, no address, no social media, no email address. Just put your logo on one side and on the other keyword searches mentioned above (customized of course). Hand them out at your next networking event. These do not replace your business card. If someone is a customer you want to give them your contact information and not have them jump through hoops. 

I refer to this as analog SEO, give it a try with friends and family first, a text is free to send (kind of). Break it up and send different keywords to different groups, that way you'll be able to see what keywords (and friends) work best. 

You've not done anything wrong by the way, your results seem consistent with a newly launched website. 

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

3 REPLIES 3
    Highlighted
    Super User I

Great that you were able to get your website up @designed4sale. The normal thing you can expect is that a new website will not likely appear on the first page in search engine rankings. Keywords and Search Engine Optimization (SEO) are tasks people spend a lot of time and money on. With time and some effort you can increase your visibility and climb up to the first page. Depending on how involved you'd like to be in this effort there are tools out there that will help.

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

Highlighted
    Solution

Thanks for your prompt response to my question. I'm definitely not a tech guy at 66 I feel that I've learned a lot over the past few weeks since I decided to put up my small business on the web. However, I understand the importance of keywords and SEO but I haven't been able to find where to add it to my website? I have a Go Daddy website builder the cheaper version....just starting the business on a shoestring budget!! 

I'm concerned that I've done something wrong with the website because it only comes up if I type the domain in. If i search it with various keywords it doesn't show up and even when I use the name of the business it flat out doesn't show up. I've done probably 50 searches over the past few days and no luck...I'm giving up after page 20 of each search because I understand that the Google algorithm is geared to ads first and then those paying for certain keywords.  In my case since I don't have the budget to pay google for keywords I know that I must do better with my website wording.

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated it. 

Highlighted
    Super User I
    Solution

None of us are tech guys @designed4sale, we're all learning and at sixty-six you are just past middle age in my book.

I'll give you the cheapest SEO tip I have. Have people search for you. I know that sounds simple but it works. The more people search for you and find you the better your rank gets. You searching yourself really does no good because even if you were to find yourself on the first page of your computer that would just be for your computer. You need people searching for you, the more people the better. 

Here's the trick. Enlist your friends and family to search for you. Tell them specifically what to search for and have them click through to your website. Send out a mass text that says "go online and search 'home renovations designed 4 sale' please", have others search 'interior design designed 4 sale' another group 'home design kingwood' and do that for every keyword. Make it a game or make it a question "Hey guys, can you search 'kingwood design 4 sale' and tell me what page my website designed4sale.com shows up on? Don't say "Google me..." unless you're just trying to optimize for Google. Just day "search" and let them pick their own engine. 

For those wanting to try this at home print up business cards, don't put any contact information on them. No website, no phone number, no address, no social media, no email address. Just put your logo on one side and on the other keyword searches mentioned above (customized of course). Hand them out at your next networking event. These do not replace your business card. If someone is a customer you want to give them your contact information and not have them jump through hoops. 

I refer to this as analog SEO, give it a try with friends and family first, a text is free to send (kind of). Break it up and send different keywords to different groups, that way you'll be able to see what keywords (and friends) work best. 

You've not done anything wrong by the way, your results seem consistent with a newly launched website.