• Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Highlighted

Order form does not send directly to my email address

I am using Website Builder and spent a great deal of time creating an order form for my webpage and now when I click submit my local email client (Outlook in this case) opens with the order form contents and my email address is in the To field, instead of the form being emailed directly to me. I am using the action="mailto:myemail@gmail.com" in the code.  It is my understanding after doing some research that I cannot use the action="mailto" with Website Builder?  And I have no access to cPanel or my files so I can create a .php page to handle it.

Any thoughts on how I am supposed to accomplish getting this submit button to email me the form directly?

3 REPLIES 3
    Highlighted

Re: Order form does not send directly to my email address

Hey @DaveinTx,

Welcome to the community! Smiley Happy

You can actually add a contact form within Website Builder using the tools described here. Based on what you've described, sounds like you're attempting to code in a functionality that the page designer was not intended to handle. 

If you you're familiar with using cPanel and PHP coding to complete the functionality you're looking for, you may want to consider using our cPanel hosting instead of Website Builder.

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    24/7 support available at x.co/247support
    Highlighted

Thanks for the reply CG - I am familiar with cPanel and PHP coding.

I am not trying to implement a contact form.  I am trying to implement an order form, where a customer would answer questions from pulldowns and check boxes.  Then the user would click "Submit" which would send the order form contents (answers) DIRECTLY to my customer's email address.  What happens right now is that the local email client (Outlook, or Gmail, or whatever) is opened and code from the form is pasted into a new email that the user would then have to send...that's pretty nasty.

So, can I take an existing website built from Website Builder and get it seemlessly transitioned over to cPanel hosting?  If I can I would certainly consider making that switch.  This customer website (not mine) has grown beyond Website Builder so I am looking for an alternative hosting solution where I can implement more advanced code to fulfill the customer's requests.

Thoughts?

Thanks...

DaveinTx

Highlighted

Hey @DaveinTx,

I see! Regarding the "Order Form", you mention using 'mailto' links in your scripting. Generally, mailto: links will really just prompt the computer to bring up the default email program on the desktop and automatically add the email address into the To field.  From what you've described it sounds like it is doing what it is supposed to be doing.

Since I can't see the actual scripting your using, I'm assuming you might also be including some form of custom mailer script to setup the emails to be sent from the Website Builder servers. Unfortunately, that's also going above our scope of support as well as the limitations of the application as there no way to access the server settings from within the page designer. Your best alternative within Website Builder to setup an "order form" is to create the same fields to be submitted through the contact form tools I previously suggested. 

As for taking the existing site and moving it to a cPanel hosting. Because of proprietary licensing limitations of the plan you won't be able to download the published site files and move them to another server. With that in mind, my best suggestion for moving content over is to leave the existing site live. You can then start to rebuild the site in a cPanel environment with the live site still available to download/re-upload image files and copy text content from. 

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    24/7 support available at x.co/247support