• Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

Page name character limit

It appears that the page name has a character limit of 25. I migrated my domain to godaddy recently. I need to rebuild one of my pages with exactly the same address on the web. However, the name is somewhat long and nearly 36 characters. How do I change the page name or the page web address? 

For instance the desired web page I want is www.something.com/singapore-workshop-registration.html because a lot of email and social media promotion has happened using that link so cant really change it.

Website builder (GoCentral) is cutting it off right now to www.something.com/singapore-workshop-register 

Please help!

8 REPLIES 8
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

Re: Page name character limit

Hi @310itech. Welcome to GoDaddy Community! 

Based on what you've described, it sounds like GoCentral might not work for your situation, unfortunately.  There wouldn't be a way to override the character limit for this type of account. You may need to consider moving to a different platform, like WordPress. I'd suggest getting in touch with our customer care team if you need to see about getting a refund. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Dear JesseW - Sorry about the delayed response. We will have to stick to GoDaddy Central, because we invested much of our time into this platform. It is a bit of a shame that we cannot move to more flexible platforms, however there is probably nothing either of us can do. 

Thank you.

Is there a functional reason for the 25 character limit....like SEO?

I am having the same problem of needing to re-make a high seo ranked address with 29 characters.

Employee
    Employee
    Solution

Hi @Thomasdmd, the primary reason for the page name length max of 25 characters is the name will wrap and not fit in the navigation on your site. Do you want help with shortening your page name? This can be done in the page settings.

page settings.png

Thank you Rachel.  I ended up shortening the URL the same way you suggested.  

The end result was the page dropped from the 6th position on the first page of Google searches to the 5th page of Google results.  After a few weeks we are up to the 3rd position on the second page.  Hopefully the SEO will bring us back to the first page.  Thanks for your help.

Employee
    Employee

Hi, If you haven't done so already, please use the built-in SEO tool found under Settings. It can take a while for your website to rise up in search rankings, but meanwhile, here are some tips you can do:

• Have relevant & unique keywords in titles and page descriptions
    • Add related images and video, with alternative text
    • Add links to related sites (bonus points if they link back to yours)
    • Your Domain should contain a keyword, with registration length of at least a year
    • DO NOT have any identical content that can be found on other sites, like placeholder or starter text

Thanks again Rachel,

Regarding the last suggestion for other sites, are there more SEO recommendations for having 2 similar sites for 2 separate business locations? 

I created a second website for our second business location, but it seems to be performing poorly for SEO.  I created the second website to compensate for the short url problem because that page was for the second office location. I also did it to connect our separate Google MyBusiness, Facebook and Yelp pages as GoCentral only allows one location per website.

Thanks!

Super User III Super User III
    Super User III

@ThomasdmdIt is often a good idea for websites of different branches to link to each other.  That way someone who finds the wrong branch can easily get to the right way, but this also tells Google that the sites trust each other.

@ProductInsights#websitebuilder #pageredirects #migrating #SEO