• GoDaddy Community
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

Photo Gallery - Adjust Section Height + Images not Fitting into Frame Properly

I create a Photo Gallery using the "Slideshow of images with thumbnails" format.  The default size of the images on the horizontal scrolling gallery are way too large - disproportionate with the rest of the page.

1st Issue: I want to be able to reduce the height of the scrolling image frame (to about 1/2 the height shown in the screenshot below.

Screen Shot 2019-04-22 at 1.48.25 PM.png

2nd issue:  The images will not size within the frame - they are stretched too large.  See my example screenshot below:

Screen Shot 2019-04-22 at 1.52.28 PM.png

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Photo Gallery - Adjust Section Height + Images not Fitting into Frame Properly

You have probably tried this, but have you resized the images before you use them. I have run into that problem before and that is what worked for me. As I recall, find the right size was the bugaboo for me.

Re: Photo Gallery - Adjust Section Height + Images not Fitting into Frame Properly

Dan, 

Thanks for the feedback.  Yes, I have thought about resizing my 50+ images into what seems like a 1.4:1 aspect ratio, in order to shoehorn it into the photo gallery, but refuse to do so much meaningless manual labour.

Even if I resize them all, they won't get truncated, but they still get expanded to fill a 800x500px frame.   I need to be able to set the height of the frame - 500px is way too much - that's only useful if you are dedicating a page for a photography demo.   I'm simply trying to display a scrolling marquee of partner logos across the screen.

Thanks,

Norm

Re: Photo Gallery - Adjust Section Height Images not Fitting into Frame Properly

Norm,

Yes, that’s a lot of work. There are quite a few limitations on the website
    builder. I am switching to Wordpress on some domains but that is a pain
    also. Hope you find a solution.

Dan

Re: Photo Gallery - Adjust Section Height Images not Fitting into Frame Properly

Dan,

Thanks again.  Yes, it is quite limited, although I only expected basic features in a builder like this.  It does a wonderful job of quick&easy with good responsive behaviour on mobile devices - great for those simple sites that you don't want to invest too much technical time into.

The Photo Gallery component would be killer with 4 simple features:

1. Allow you to set the height of the image frame/section.

2. Allow you to set the aspect ratio of the frame - 3 choices: 1:1, 4:3, 16:9

3. Automatically fit your images in the frame

4. Allow to add a URL link to the image - if no URL entered, then expand image when selected (current behaviour)

With the above, you could do amazing things with its versatility.  Any Website Builder product managers watching this forum?

Cheers,

Norm

Community Manager
    Community Manager

Hey @NormCouturier,

Great conversation with @DanSchaeffer! Thanks for the suggestions on what you'd like to see for GoCentral/Website Builder. I'm going to share them with our product team. Take care and hope to see more of both of you in the Community moving forward!

Rachel

Product Team
    Product Team

@NormCouturier  Thank you for the feedback - very timely too.  We're working on improvements and will keep you posted!

I am having the same issue. You indicated you were going to submit the suggestions to your product team. Any response? Please don't make us edit the photos before uploading. It would be so much easier to edit in the gallery...

Product Team
    Product Team

Hi @NormCouturier thanks for your feedback. We are working on some adjustments to handle very wide or tall images in the first gallery layout.  In addition we have released new layout options if you want to check those out.  thanks, Christine

Product Team
    Product Team

@NormCouturier  we have released additional gallery layouts, and we also updated the first gallery to support very wide or tall images (variable width).  Hopefully these improvements help. We are continuing to add more to our image options.

Product Team
    Product Team
    Solution

I also wanted to add that captions can be linked in galleries.