• Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

Product Thumbnails in Online Store

I'm trying to build an online store to sell digital downloads, videos specifically. The process itself is very intuitive and quite easy to do.  The issues I'm running into are a lack of control over how the product thumbnails are displayed. 

1. The dimensions of the thumbnail are square in dimension. I would like the option for the them to be rectangular as to reflect the 16:9 aspect ratio of the videos that I'm selling. 

2. When creating a new product, I'm adding a (watermarked) Vimeo link of the video I'm selling. If the poster image from this Vimeo link could simply serve as the the thumbnail image, my problems would be solved. However, if all you do is add the Vimeo URL and not a still image, then the product thumbnails display as blank placeholders.

So when creating your product, you must also upload a still image which serves as the thumbnail and that is auto-sized/cropped to a square image. 

Finally when you are on an individual product review page, I see the Vimeo video embedded and below the player are two additional thumbnails, one to the video itself and one to display the product thumbnail. These two thumbnails below the video player are unnecessary and I fear they will only confuse costumers.  

Is there a way to disable them from displaying under the embedded video?

A bonus would be allowing us to change the dimensions of the thumbnail image. 

Thank you! 

4 REPLIES 4
    Rockstar I Rockstar I
    Rockstar I

Re: Product Thumbnails in Online Store

Hi @bjeff77  ,

While I have not used the online store a lot, I have found that style changes and layout changes are not particularly easy because the platform focuses upon simplicity and functionality more than style flexibility.  For the situation that you described I'm not sure that you'll find the solution you want with the storefront.   If you are or will be looking for advanced cart features with regard to product displays, product groupings, and customer management you may need a solution such as bigcommerce, woocommerce, or shopify. 

The GoDaddy Online Store is a solid, but relatively simple platform.  Many find that they learn to live with the limitations or move to another platform.  Please keep in mind exports from the online store are not possible so always have a means of preserving your data offline.

Hope this helps,

James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites
    Highlighted
    Super User I Super User I
    Super User I
    Solution

Depending on the template you have selected your thumbnail images will be setup a bit different @bjeff77. The thing I'd suggest is that you confirm your image to the template rather then trying to get the template to display in a specific way (which it may not be able to do).

If your background is white I would create a white square image the width of your image and place your aspect ratio image inside. Whatever the background of your website just match your image to it and upload the result. Depending on what you are using for your images you may be able to manipulate the canvas size directly. I typically maintain website images separate from my image files in a folder labeled 'uploads' and save website images there so that I'm not changing my base images. 

I don't understand why you are putting the Vimeo URL in the product data? Are you checking out people via your online store and sending them the Vimeo link digital product style? Are you sending them from your store to Vimeo where they are purchasing the video externally? I hope something I said helps?   

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

Rockstar I Rockstar I
    Rockstar I

@rd , EXCELLENT suggestion on using the white background!!!!!  I had so forgotten about that trick since I've been letting WordPress do a lot of the resizing for me.  @bjeff77 check out some of the Photoshop actions available through Envato Elements.  You might find one there that will speed up the production process.

Hope this helps,

James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites

@JMPepper & @rd, I agree that I'm probably going to have to conform my process to the template versus the other way around. 

Changing the thumbnail image background color isn't really necessary if the theme is white because if you select "Shrink to fit" in the "Thumbnail Image Size" preferences of the Products panel, it produces the same results. I noticed if the theme has a black background, "Shrink to fit" will show a different shade of grey.

However, I did try what you suggested, and unfortunately you can still see a very thin outline of the square. And I've tried a few different themes with both dark and light backgrounds. Seems to be the nature of the design. 

I'm embedding the Vimeo URL so they can see a (watermarked) preview of the video they are purchasing. They are checking out right in the Online Store, not externally. I just don't understand why it displays the thumbnails below the video player on the product data page. It feels redundant, but I'm mostly concerned that it will confuse customers. Is there another way I should be doing it? How else would you showcase a video product without embedding the video? 

Thanks for taking the time to respond.