Is it possible to track clicks on a download button on a web site? I would like to be able to monitor the number of downloads occurring. Google Analytics tracking codes can only be added to the whole site. The download button points to a URL on Godaddy Online Storage, so the tracking could also occur there.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Yes you can search it on google, lots of articles are available
Google does not provide the answer. It states:
Have the ability to edit your website. Either you or your webmaster will need to be able to add the tag to your website code.
It is possible to add tags to the whole web site but I can't see how to do it for a specific button or for the Online File Storage
Please PM me your login information and the code you wish to add. I'll check and let you know
To be useful I need to be able to add tracking code myself rather than have someone else do it. Do you know if this is possible within the Godaddy framework?
Well in that case you can figure it out yourself because there are some tricks which is used by developers like me and I'll not disclose it.
Here is a method of creating HTML to represent an image with a link as HTML to which analytics code for clicks within a Godaddy site can be added.
1) Add a Website Builder Image (or button if target is not an image) with a link to the desired URL to a new dummy page
2) Publish the web site.
3) View the source html for the dummy page.
4) Find the part of the html which defines the image or button with the link. It will be something like
<div id="wsb-element-de5bbe0d-ccc7-49ba-a73a-a79c87e0c392" class="wsb-element-image" data-type="element"> <div class="wsb-image-inner "><div class="img"><a href="Your Target URL" rel=""> <img src="//nebula.wsimg.com/660d0c386bd5008145c85e171e45cfcd?AccessKeyId=4DAF0E5C0C3C450B1CF7&disposition=0&alloworigin=1" alt="Text to replace image" style="vertical-align:middle;width:282px;height:83px;"> </a></div></div> </div>
The <img src argument is the URL for image you would like to use once it has been uploaded.
5) Create an HTML object on the page to which you want to add the analytics code and add the above code to generate the image with the link.
6) Add the analytics code before the HTML.