I need to update my MediaWiki from 1.17 to 1.21. Is this something that GoDaddy tech support team can help me with? It's a fairly detailed process which requires greater access to functionality that I don't have through simple FTP. Please advise.
GoDaddy's support teams wouldn't be able to help you upgrade the application used for your site.
Looking through the manual upgrade process, I didn't see anything that would require something outside of what's available on our Linux hosting. Looking through it, it seems everything can be done through FTP, SSH, and phpMyAdmin.
If you are having trouble with a particular step, you may want to follow up with some details on which step you're stuck on and perhaps a community member with experience updating MediaWiki will be able to provide some suggestions.
I also suggest backing up your site and database prior to making any changes.
Thanks GaryA. Yes digging deeper into it, I was able to upgrade from 1.17 to 1.21 without too many problems. Everything can be done from the web. I would advise that if anyone is planning on implementing Wikimedia into their site, they have strong fundamental knowledge of some PHP and database hacking. At the very least, make sure that you back up everything to start. It's not for the faint of heart. All told, it took me a good five hours or so to complete the process and test the results.
Basically, first I created an installation through the go daddy hosting interface to test 1.21. I let GoDaddy install the application. So I had two versions running. This was just a test. Then I backed up my mediawiki files. Then I uploaded a copy to the live server. To get it to work I had to make some changes to LocalSettings.php which involved pointing the duplicate MediaWiki site to the existing database. (Of course the database was backed up.) Then I ran through the upgrade process using the MediaWiki update script. There were some errors along the way, which if you don't have firm grasp on PHP and the MediaWiki directory/file structure, would be game over. But hacking through I was able to delete files that were causing the problems (not the core files). Many of the error messages came from extensions that were incompatible with 1.21. Deleting those extensions and changing the LocalSettings.php file, I was able to get it going.
Trust me I understand there is a better and safer way to do what I just described.
It would be helpful if GoDaddy could help provide at least a guide or accumulate relevant links that could aid in the process. I would have paid for tech support to do the upgrade for me. I can do this stuff, but I don't necessarily want to, if you know what I mean.