• Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    New

Uploading content to a WordPress site

Hi all, someone within my company's IT department was helping my boss set up hosting with GoDaddy, I know that it's been set up and that wordpress has been downloaded. They sent me the following message:

"I have the subdomain and hosting setup and wordpress is installing, it should be ready for you in an hour or so. Here’s the information you’ll need to access the folder via FTP to setup your content."

And they gave me the following information:

Domain name and folder

FTP Username and password

UN

PW

IP Address of Hosting Server

I didn't even have a GoDaddy account at this point in time, I just created it so I could ask for help on this. All I need to do is access the site/domain/whatever you want to call it so that people can start building on it. Would anyone mind giving me instructions? 

3 REPLIES 3
    Community Manager
    Community Manager
    Solution

Re: Website set up

Hi @kncmt4. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! Based on the message they sent, it sounds like they want you to upload content for the WordPress site. WordPress sites usually are managed and built from within the WordPress dashboard, not FTP. That is typically accessed from [domain.com]/wp-admin. The fact that they didn't give you that makes me think they just want you to provide them with images and other content for the site in an FTP directory. However, it's hard to say for sure without knowing more about the situation. I would just ask the IT person what it is that they want you to upload. If you are the one designing the WordPress site, then you'll need access to the WordPress dashboard. 

You don't need a GoDaddy account to connect to a hosting server via FTP. Take a look at these instructions for more information about connecting via FTP. Hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
    New

Just an FYI to anyone else attempting to learn this on-your-own, that link goes nowhere active.  --Bruce

Highlighted
    Community Manager
    Community Manager
    Solution

Hey @BruceH. Welcome to GoDaddy Community! Which link are you referring to? The FTP article that I linked to in my post is still active. I'm not sure why it wouldn't be loading for you. It should take you here:
    https://www.godaddy.com/help/filezilla-ftp-settings-to-upload-your-website-104

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.