• GoDaddy Community
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 

Verizon won't make FTP connection via Filezilla

I cannot establish an FTP connection using Filezilla and my regular Verizon FIOS ISP.  I can establish a connection using another ISP (Zayo).  Godaddy help tells me this is a Verizon problem.  Verizon promises to call back, then doesn't.  Grrrr.

9 REPLIES 9
    Rockstar II Rockstar II
    Rockstar II

Re: Verizon won't make FTP connection via Filezilla

I of course don't know your codification setup @PuzzledUser but I know how frustrating that padding of the buck can be. I have heard about these connection issues before (they aren't limited to Verizon) but as GoDaddy suggests they seem to be ISP based since you can connect with other providers. 

Sometimes is helpful to look at what has changed in your environment. Perhaps some firewall settings can be tweaked to get you connected? Good luck waiting on a call back. 

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

I had the same issue. After a lot of back and forth I can tell you - for sure - that it is a GoDaddy issue. I had a site hosted on one of their legacy linux servers and Verizon does not like the IP addresses on them. I also had an old plan. I called GoDaddy for the umpteenth time and said that I wanted to switch servers and change plans. I moved laterally to a new plan with the same price (but actually more disk space!) and they walked me through the move - which was ridiculously easy.  My site was down for less than an hour and now the problem is fixed.

If you have a lot of databases - it might take longer. They say up to 48 hours. Just do it.

Rockstar II Rockstar II
    Rockstar II

@nycstressbunny wrote:

I had the same issue. After a lot of back and forth I can tell you - for sure - that it is a GoDaddy issue. I had a site hosted on one of their legacy linux servers and Verizon does not like the IP addresses on them. I also had an old plan. I called GoDaddy for the umpteenth time and said that I wanted to switch servers and change plans. I moved laterally to a new plan with the same price (but actually more disk space!) and they walked me through the move - which was ridiculously easy.  My site was down for less than an hour and now the problem is fixed.

If you have a lot of databases - it might take longer. They say up to 48 hours. Just do it.

I don't know that Verizon blocking certain IP ranges is a GoDaddy issue? I suspect that Verizon has their reasons for doing something like that but to block a range of IPs then blame the host is a bit strange? @nycstressbunny glad that you have had this issue (for the purposes of explaining the solution) not because I wish bad things for you. Sounds like switching servers was also switching IP addresses for you?

You didn't mention what kind of hosting plan you have @PuzzledUser but I can tell you that most IP issues I've seen basically come down to shared IPs. If switching to a new server as @nycstressbunny suggests doesn't work perhaps consider a dedicated IP hosting plan?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

Thanks for the suggestions.  I don't know of anything that has changed in my Classic Linux Hosting environment.  As far as I know, my IP hasn't changed in recent years.  If Verizon would confess that they've blocked a group of IP addresses including my own, I might switch to a new hosting arrangement -- I might be more inclined to simply getting a new ISP.  Verizon did call back, to ask for the same information I'd provided before (a RouteTr).  My real purpose in starting this thread was to solicit more recent experience than in the Topic thread FTP Will Not Connect, which indicated that Verizon was inexplicably not working with Filezilla and Godaddy.  The earlier thread petered out, inexplicably it seems to me, since it seems to me a major hassle if an ISP as large as Verizon can't be used to access a hosting company as large as GoDaddy.  So far, after several calls with Verizon, I'm yet to be allowed to speak to anyone who seems to have the slightest idea what a File Transfer Protocol is, as opposed to asking (repetitively) for information I've volunteered so that they can pass it along.

Two possible solutions seem to be emerging:  (1) Change my old (2008?) "Classic Linux Hosting" setup to a setup using a different, "newer" server for which Verizon will allow a Filezilla FTP connection (as suggested below  by nycstressbunny, and by someone on the lengthy thread in the Verizon forums): But I'd welcome specific suggestion as to which type of new hosting account to choose?? AND  (2) a Verizon tech rep told me that Verizon has blocked Port 21 for all Residential accounts, which would create my problem since Filezilla, as I understand it, uses Port 21 for FTP (and GoDaddy doesn't suport SFTP which uses Port 22, except for Managed Wordpress accounts): Has anyone else heard this, and more importantly, is there a solution while still using Verizon FIOS???

New

I'm having a similar problem. To be clear, is your internet connection service with Verizon or with Frontier?

Changing to a new GoDaddy hosting account from my old Classic Linux Hosting account allowed me to FTP access my website on Verizon FIOS, as others have found.

It is so funny to find this thread, and it's scary and similar as I am switching to GD from 1and1 for this very reason.  Here's my story.

I have been a 1and1 customer for fifteen years and over the past few months I couldn't connect consistently to 1and1 via FTP (FileZilla) or my weather software that sends a file via FTP every 60-seconds.  (But, every tenth try or so, I am able to connect; and I can connect to other FTP sites) I've gone round and round with Time Warner, the Arris/Motorola folks (cable modem/router folks) and with 1and1 support and they all blame someone else. 

So, I just signed up with GD yesterday and am transferring my registration right now.  Now you guys have me worried.

Here is my current situation.

1. From my PC I can connect to a trial FTP server and the wunderground.com; but, only intermittently to 1and1 .  (See this link for the setup http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7968703/is-there-a-public-ftp-server-to-test-upload-and-download) - so, I am sure that my PC or my router do not have firewall, port forwarding, or other issues

2. When I fire up a wifi hotspot on my phone and connect my computer to it (and, therefore have a different IP address), I can connect to 1and1 immediately and without problems - that indecates it's an IP issue.

3. But, I am able to connect to 1and1 every five or ten times.  You can check it by going to my website www.bobhatcher.info and checking the time stamp of the top image.  It's usually less than ten minutes old.  So, the problem is intermittent.

4. In my talks with Time Warner, they say the only way I can get a new IP is to change my cable modem/router for $100 or so.

As you guys have suggested with the GD support folks, the 1and1 guys swear they are not blocking my IP address.

EDIT: I was able to configure cpanel without a domain and was able to log in successfully and transfer a file as a test.

New

Well, i am having the same issue with filezilla using Comcast so I say it is a GD issue