• GoDaddy Community
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 

Web site out dated

We just got off the phone with you. We are very pro GoDaddy. Well we used to be. We just renewed a month ago and today you call and tell us that our site is out dated. And for $1300.00 you can fix it. Or we can start from scratch and remake it all over again. We have spent years telling everyone in the classes we give to use you for there web site. Now this. You say we have 30 days max. Right now we are about 600 orders behind in the middle of our busy season. Why should we not start all over with someone else.  Wow we are going to have some serious problems thanks. Rick Whittier www.whittierdecoys.com

11 REPLIES 11
    Rockstar II

@WhittierDecoys wrote:

We just got off the phone with you. We are very pro GoDaddy. Well we used to be. We just renewed a month ago and today you call and tell us that our site is out dated. And for $1300.00 you can fix it. Or we can start from scratch and remake it all over again. We have spent years telling everyone in the classes we give to use you for there web site. Now this. You say we have 30 days max. Right now we are about 600 orders behind in the middle of our busy season. Why should we not start all over with someone else.  Wow we are going to have some serious problems thanks. Rick Whittier www.whittierdecoys.com

@WhittierDecoys Hi Rick, I'm almost certain that it wasn't Godaddy that called you. Your site may be outdated but Godaddy wouldn't call you and say it would cost $1,300 to fix it, I'm pretty sure it was a scam. I am going to send this discussion to my account rep just in case and I'll have him reach out to you if needed.

-----

Thank you . But the phone number on caller I D was correct. He gave us the option of hiring them or starting over from scratch. Well we don't have the time to start over right now and don't want to hire GoDaddy for that kind of money. Please let us know if you hear anything. As I said if they make us start from scratch we my go else where just because we feel it wrong to have to start over at this point. We have always had very high respect for GoDaddy but to out date our site and then bail on us is wrong

Retired
    Not applicable

@WhittierDecoys

SCAM ALERT!!

100% certain it's a scam. Godaddy do not have developers building sites, and they wouldn't give phone you like that. Phone numbers can be faked.

The BEST WAY to never get scammed like that is to just say to them, "Do you mind if I just call you back, I need the loo". Do NOT use the return call function. Type it in fresh.

BE CAREFUL!!

One more thing........ It wouldn't be for Godaddy or any other hosting company to tell you it was out of date. That's down to whether or not it's still working in most major browsers!!!

Outdated my **** ! Always phone back to check with a freshly typed number.

Here is what I did . I went to the GoDaddy web site and found there phone number. 480-505-8877 and called it I then entered my call in pin number. I then talked with support. Bad news its all true we have to pay $1300.00 to have GoDaddy update our site our we have to start all over from scratch. How ever there is something they can do for $550.00. So it was not a scam in the sense you were talking but it is still a scam  But now we all know it was real 100% and I welcome you all to check for yourselves. We are running on a 6 and they are upgrading to a 7 something. Thank you Rick  www.whittierdecoys.com

Hey @WhittierDecoys,

First let me say I'm really sorry to hear that this occurred. Seems that there was a serious miscommunication on our part; which I am already reaching out to the teams that need to be made aware of this to get the matter corrected. 

After looking at your site, seems like you were using our Version 6 (v6) Website Builder plan to develop and host your current site online. We had previously sent out communications last year indicating that these plans were scheduled to be "End of Life" around March of this year. However, those plans had changed from feedback received here on this community.

Your site is not in danger of being removed in the next 30 days, but we do urge considering updating your site to a new platform when it is at your convenience as we're no longer providing future updates to the current v6 plans at this time. Unfortunately, moving from this version will require starting over as the site content created in v6 can't be directly transferred over to v7 or our recently launched GoCentral Site Builder due to the technology differences. 

As for the offers made to you, I believe the agent was attempting to advise of optional services we have been extending to current v6 users through either a Site Facelift or total redesign through our Website Design Service. Again, these are only options to consider and are not required to be purchased to maintain your site. You can setup the site yourself if you would prefer. 

Again my apologies for any frustration that was caused by this. We will be sure the communication is corrected with our agents. 

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    24/7 support available at x.co/247support

We are upset that you decide to update which is fine. But now we have to pay up or start over building a new site. Your upgrades should go through seamlessly not involving us. What is so upsetting is that you do not see were this is a problem. Your support said that the can move all of our site to the new one  for $550.00 why is that not available to us at no charge.  Obviously This is effecting  oldest customers. We should not have to start over and we should not have to pay for your upgrading.  We have set up a call from support in July to go over this. If we are building a new site we have till then to decide who we are going to use.Starting over we might find a better service than GoDaddy. One that a up grade does not mean we have to do all the work of starting over.

Hey Rick, I am sorry that you are having this difficulty. I have had GoDaddy  for 12 years and never once received a call that my website was out of date and I needed to pay one dime to have it fixed. 

What GoDaddy service was this? If you stick with WordPress, you should have this issue. Your issue seems to stem from a different system.

Bruce

WordPress Developer, WordCamp Speaker and Web Development Instructor on Udemy

@WhittierDecoys wrote:

We are upset that you decide to update which is fine. But now we have to pay up or start over building a new site. Your upgrades should go through seamlessly not involving us. What is so upsetting is that you do not see were this is a problem. Your support said that the can move all of our site to the new one  for $550.00 why is that not available to us at no charge.  Obviously This is effecting  oldest customers. We should not have to start over and we should not have to pay for your upgrading.  We have set up a call from support in July to go over this. If we are building a new site we have till then to decide who we are going to use.Starting over we might find a better service than GoDaddy. One that a up grade does not mean we have to do all the work of starting over.

@WhittierDecoys You can also find someone to do it a lot cheaper for you. It's a pretty basic site so the cost shouldn't be that high. Check out places like Fiverr, I've had luck there.

---

I am experiencing the same thing, Godaddy does not want to support version 6 anymore, but they want you to rebuild a new website or pay them to build it for $1500 I checked out the new go central online store and it is nothing like version 6,  the new go central is not going to work for me because I have about 200 different items to list and the new site does not allow you to move things, the new site is just a cheap alternative with a higher price tag and it comes with not many options, you can not drag and drop and many many other things, sure it would be good for a little guy with just a small handful of things to sell but if you have more then 10-20 then you will not be able to sort things, when you create a product you do not have the option of were to put it on a certain page.

Another thing is the shipping, I have versions of shipping methods on my original site that I use like $40 and under cost $4 over $40 is $7.10, the go central site you can not have that, you get a choice of one option that are,  flat rate, Free, or by weight, or a percentage.

Unfortunately, GoDaddy isnt what it used to be. Buuuuuttttttt...... The thing is, this is something you can expect when you have files hosted in managed services. It would be unfair to those you share host with to not get the updates that comes with manages servers.

I dont really know what update they need to do that will make a website outdated... PHP 6 to 7? Centos 6 to 7? or maybe one of the website builders? The site doesn't look that complicated, you should just hire somene to build it on a unmanaged VPS. Unmanaged VPS can be as low as $5 monthly.

::Woops, someone repied as I was writing this reply... and yep, it was the site builder
    ~Jan Mykhail Hasselbring Web Administrator @ fullstackwebsolution.com
    Retired
    Not applicable

Hi @WhittierDecoys,

really sorry to hear this was actually for real. There are many, many reasons I hate CMS (Content Managed Systems like Wordpress, website builder etc), and this is just one. It was only the other week when all the managed Wordpress folk were in a flap over an update.

Seriously, if you need the site rebuilt, get a real developer to hand code it for you. It will be future proof as it can be altered and modified easily, on the fly. 

Best wishes.