• GoDaddy Community
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 

Webcalendar Dies on the Vine

When GoDaddy updates its various compilers and operating systems, the software they offer as part of their sign on package is not updated. I lost years of webcalendar 'ical' files simply because one update does not cover all updates.

Does anyone else have this problem? What did you do to fix it?

11 REPLIES 11
    Helper V
    Helper V

Re: Webcalendar Dies on the Vine

@lomtevas,

Please call GoDaddy support team!, and they will certainly help you...

English
    24/7 Support
    Español
    24/7 Atención al cliente

Thank you

Regards,

Praveen Thomas

GoDaddy 24/7 Support www.x.co/247support
    ----->NEXIA

I did a month ago. I received a cold call asking me why am I not renewing my godaddy account. I said I'm furious that godaddy's webcalendar app that I have been using for nearly as long as there was a godaddy failed when godaddy changed its php compiler.

I needed a plain, online calendar that would last for decades in terms of storing dates and events. Their calendar failed in 2007 during an update then and bombed again in 2017. This caused a deletion of my data, then came the notices to renew.

The caller transferred me to a tech who promised to restore my webcalendar and actually did nothing. That expiration date is approaching and I am not renewing.

Helper V
    Helper V

@lomtevas,

Please check your Private Message Inbox!, I've messaged you...

Thank you

Regards,

Praveen Thomas

----->NEXIA

Why should I spend another hour on the phone? You understand my problem. You updated your php but you failed to update your apps that you offer. I lost thousand of bytes of calendar information I needed preserved.

When I called after your webcalendar application started to generate error messages with every reload, you said these apps are 'third-party' and that you do not service them. So you are a mind fake for the unsophisticated user.

You either fix it or you'll lose my account, and I'll tell anyone who will listen what happened and what godaddy is: an unstable, unreliable, fiddly service that fails repeatedly.

Helper V
    Helper V

@lomtevas,

First of all I would like to tell you that I am not a GoDaddy employee...

I don't work for GoDaddy!, I only help the community now and then...

I am also a customer just like you...

I really hope a GoDaddy moderator will look into this...

Thank you

Regards,

Praveen Thomas

----->NEXIA

Well, that may be part of the problem.

Godaddy does not track customer satisfaction as part of its daily operation. It now appears you are a volunteer who stumbled upon my blog entry. I have lost nearly two decades of calendar data because godaddy runs a slipshod operation. No one on the server side ever coordinated php complier updates with the apps godaddy provides as part of its subscriptions. When a sales rep called me to update my subscription, he passed me along to someone else who dropped the ball by not restoring my data and not calling me back to tell my why.

That means account holders take great risks at losing their data using godaddy. I also expect a moderator will check out these messages. Perhaps a moderator will delete these messages to protect godaddy from ridicule. That seems to be the way web service providers operate these days: take money and deflect complaints.

I don't understand how such a web relic is still in operation and why you devote any time to assist godaddy.

estieg
    Former Employee

Hi @lomtevas 

I'm going to escalate this to the product team.  Thank you for your patience as we work to resolve this!

Eric

If I answered your question, please mark it as the solution or give it a "Kudo"

The time to escalate this passed in 2007. I will not be holding my breath.

estieg
    Former Employee

plz check your PM

If I answered your question, please mark it as the solution or give it a "Kudo"

Here is that PM:

I've looked into the mentioned account and have found the following:

WebCalendar is a third party application that is offered as an automated application installation on grid hosting.

No server changes have taken place on this account (your account) since November 2017.

The customer appears to have reinstalled their webcalendar application on 02/07/18 which indicates to me that the installation containing the customers files was removed prior to that date.

I checked the snapshot filer for the "ical" files the customer mentioned but was unable to locate anything, the oldest backup on the filer was from 02/08/18.

I have confirmed that there are no database backups of the peterlomtevas and cal1803810354167 databases available from before February 7th either.

If the customer can provide a specific date from when this content was last accessible I can see if there is a snapshot from that date however anything older than 30 days is likely to have been overwritten. If they can provide any other specific details such as the missing content being file content located in a specific folder or the name of a database that would also help narrow things down.

As far as I can tell with the information provided this was caused by a hosting event that is over 90 days old.

All of this is pure gobbledygook. The issue is not anything to do when I backed something up. The issue has to do with godaddy upgrading its php compiler and ignoring all of the applications they provide as part of the basic linux subscription. This failure to coordinate an upgrade caused the loss of thousands of bytes of calendar files.

As part of godaddy's imbecilic manner of doing business, when godaddy upgraded its php compiler, the webcal app smeared error messages all over the screen. At that point, it was impossible to back up an ical file either server side or client side. When I sought an export of the ical file, i got a screenful of junk and no exported file. I did copy paste this junk onto a text file, but no ical app can read it. This means my calendar is there, but no app can read it because of godaddy's haphazard lack of coordination of its php update. So whatever this tech is talking about is entriley beside the point.

This junk subscription is expiring in a few weeks. I will not mourn its passing. I will not such a mistake again as to trust godaddy with important data.

Junk job!

So none of you can restore my calendar file to the way it was before you screwed up the webcalendar application?

This is so incompetent!