• Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Helper II

Website Builder - How to create a button and link to a file or PDF

This should be much easier than it is so i am posting this hoping it will help someone else avoid frustration.

I have a Website Builder Online Store product. Editing my site (not store) I simply wanted to add a button (or text for that matter) that links to a PDF document of my monthly specials. There is the only way i found to do it, again much harder than it should be. There 2 parts to it. If someone finds another way please let me know.

First to be able to even upload (or link to) a file in GoCentral you have to add a Download Section. See this GoDaddy help page it is part 1 of my  2 part solution. 

https://www.godaddy.com/help/add-downloadable-files-24747

After you have uploaded the PDF in this example, and created the Download Section (even if temporary) that will allow you to right click on the Download link and "copy link". This is the link to your PDF file (or other file) that you have uploaded.

Now that you have this oh-so-special-hidden link to your file, you can add a normal section like Content, or About in GoCentral which will give you an ACTION button

To point (link) to the PDF file, just Paste link you copied above as Website URL instead of pointing to a Page.

Your choice if you want to erase the Download Section in the first part or keep it. I chose to keep it since i dont know it if would delete me PDF link! Again...this is all much more difficult than it needs to be. Link a button to a PDF document for download should be an easy task. 

If this article helped you let me know.

Thanks 

Len

9 REPLIES 9
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

Re: GoCentral - How to create a button and link to a file or PDF

Hi @ntidaddy. what you described would be the only way to offer a download exclusively through a link. My guess would be that this is by design, though I'm not sure why. However, if someone specifically wants to offer a link within a text, they can easily link from the text to the "file" section. You can link (anchor) text to any section of any page in your site.  

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Thank You @ntidaddy! Exactly what I was looking for! I agree that it is far more complicated than it should be to hook an Action Button to a document! Bless you for taking the time!

Thank you @ntidaddy...Thank you...Thank you Len!

And, yes, it should NOT have been this difficult to do!!!!!

Gratefully appreciate your work and your post!

Joan

Helper II

You are most welcome Joan thanks for the kudo!

Solution

Re: GoCentral - How to create a button and link to a file or PDF -- for DOWNLOADING FILES

I just tried another approach, using Dropbox. I'm using the $10/month version of DBox. I'd guess this works with the free version, too.

Example: 

This link in GoCentral generates a download of a booklet I'm working with.  

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2xwtq8q1dfu25vi/CEO%20New%20Employee%20Handbook%20Democo%20Version.pdf?dl=...

Therefore, it is possible to use a GoCentral CONTENT page such as the six graphics and text to create a custom download page, describing the document(s) and making clear where to click.

Those able to create custom graphics could make the graphic be a tailored ACTION button that combined the idea of ACTION with the purpose of the click.

Highlighted

Follow-up GoCentral - How to create a button and link to a file or PDF -- for DOWNLOADING FILES

As follow-up to my previous post -- here's is the live link of my Godaddy page...  Adapted from the first of the listed content pages.

https://billcorbin.com/culture-continued

Thank you soooooooooooo much.  You just saved me hours of frustration.

Helper II

Happy to help !

Len Osborne
    Technology Consultant

Description: nti-logo-sm2
    6017 Pine Ridge Rd
    Naples, FL 34119
    ----------------------------------------

Email: NTI@naplestech.com
    Phone: 239.254.9206
    Web:https://NaplesTech.com

Solid Multiple Monitor Systems Since 1995

Multi Display Computers |Monitor Mounts |Control Rooms |Laptops

24 YEARS IN BUSINESS

Thank you! I've been trying to figure out how to do this for days.