• Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    New

What do I need to build a New website?

I´m trying to build a website for the first time. I´ve read that one needs a domain name, a host and files for building a site. I don´t know where to start; should I build the site first or buy a domain and host and then build the site. Also, if a buy a godaddy domain, do they include the wordpress interface. Also whats the difference between buying the gocentral webbuilder or managed worpress?

11 REPLIES 11
    Helper II
    Helper II

Re: New site

@marz

Hi,  for example if I where building a new car would I build the engine body or odometer.

Same same for a website,  almost.   What I would do is buy yourself ultimate hosting,  then add your domain,  then load your WordPress to it.  Simple.

You will never out grow your capabilities this way. 

WordPress is free from WordPress.org

Godaddy also has it too.

@marz     Godaddy makes is look really easy to build a website.  How-ever it could be very challenging,

for first time builders,  and if you do not plan on making a carrier out of building websites,  you can go get help from a Godaddy.pro

Best of luck!  

Employee
    Employee

Hi, I manage a bunch of Godaddy accounts, host different websites (Wordpress and Gocentral). I can help you if you would like to have someone admin your account for you. Let me know thanks.

Super User II Super User II
    Super User II
    Solution

@marz

The basic flow for starting a website is domain > hosting > build your site.

What platform you choose is dependent on experience and what you want a website for -- company info or blog or eCom or all three.

If you are just starting out give GoCentral a try.  GoCentral is GoDaddy's website builder application and therefore includes hosting.  It is intuitive and allows a user-friendly point and click interface to build your first site.  With GoCentral you can add an eStore that, like GoCentral, is very basic and easy to setup.

Although website builders are user-friendly and inexpensive, they come with some limitations. For one, without access to your website’s code, customization options are limited.  You are also limited only to the features the web builder offers. So use the free trial and read up on GoCentral's features to make sure that application fits your needs.

If it does not, then WordPress is also a great way to build your site and does not include hosting.  WordPress also has more of a learning curve. With WordPress you would need managed WordPress hosting which comes with WordPress installed.  Then you would choose your theme (design), plugins, install and configure from there.  A bit more complicated for those getting their feet wet with their first website.

HTH! 😉

Judith
    "Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." ~Thomas Edison

New

I would like someone to help me set up my first site online. I would like to see some of the sites you manage to get a good idea on the way you manage them. I also would like you to tell me how much you charge for setting up a site.

Best regards,

Jose Juan

New

I have had wordpress.com but never hava had wordpress.org, which is the one that I`ve read it`s the indicated. I signed up with wordpress.org these past days but I don`t have where to download it, since my laptop broke off this week. How can I work the wordpress package; it`s there an online site where I can download it and start building my site?

New

I`m looking for something that will take me right into business. I don`t want to try plans that don`t offer all the capabilities. I have already started building a site with goCentral but it seems too simple. I have experience building sites the way they were built ten or more years ago. I think that if I choose the platform with the full capabilities, I would be able to start the site. What I don`t want is to pay more for something that is not going to allow me to get a return once I get on business. Based on this, do you think I should go with gocCentral or managed wordpress?

Super User II Super User II
    Super User II

@marz

Based on your last response -- Managed WordPress.  If you outgrow GoCentral or if it turns out to be too rudimentary for what you want to do, then you'll have to upgrade/switch anyway.

If you go with Managed WordPress you can start out simple and add features and functionality as necessary.

HTH! 😉

Judith
    "Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." ~Thomas Edison

Re: What do I need to build a New website?

where do I start my new website?

I am a professional accountant. Where do I find a suitable website?

What will be needed for you to help me build a website?
    Employee
    Employee
    Solution

Re: What do I need to build a New website?

Hi @marz,

To answer your specific questions; a domain and a hosting plan (which would include Wordpress or GoCentral) would be purchased separately.

GoCentral is a website builder based on templates. It includes the ability to customize content, colors and fonts and allows you to get online very quickly. GoCentral also has integrated features including Search Engine Optimization, a Built-in Secure Certificate, Email Marketing Tools, Online Appointments, Online Store and more! Feel free to try out the GoCentral on a trial basis to see if its right for you!

Managed Wordpress gives you access to thousands of free themes and plugins that help simplify the design process and allow you to add powerful features with just a few clicks. This includes Automatic setup, backups and WordPress software updates as well as the ability to migrate existing Wordpress sites to our hosting platform and easy access to thousands of popular plug-ins. More information on Managed Wordpress can be found here.

If you are unsure about what domains to purchase or need guidance on a hosting solution, our experts are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, to assist you. We will help provide the tools necessary to make your dreams a reality!

James - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    24/7 support available at x.co/247support