• Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Community Manager

What is hosting and why do I need it?

I hear that I have to have hosting in order to build a website. I'd appreciate someone explaining to me why I need it and what does it do? Thanks!

RachelM - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
    1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
    Advocate III

You're correct. You will need hosting to have a website. You will also need a domain name. 

I like to think of domain names as the equivalent of your house's address. That's how people find you.

Then, there's your house. That's where you live, and you usally have to pay some money for rent or to own it. 

With hosting, that's where your website lives, and just like a house, this space costs some rent. 

The domain name is what people type in to their browser's window to find your website. Domain names are often challenging to come up with as, they need to be unique, easy to recall, and somehow relevant to the website they point to. 

So, to summarize: one needs both hosting and a domain name to have a website. The cost of a package like this averages about $75.00 / year (the last time I checked) on GoDaddy, but they often have some attractive incentives and offers for first timers.

StarNet Solutions www.starnetsolutions.net

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
    Advocate III

You're correct. You will need hosting to have a website. You will also need a domain name. 

I like to think of domain names as the equivalent of your house's address. That's how people find you.

Then, there's your house. That's where you live, and you usally have to pay some money for rent or to own it. 

With hosting, that's where your website lives, and just like a house, this space costs some rent. 

The domain name is what people type in to their browser's window to find your website. Domain names are often challenging to come up with as, they need to be unique, easy to recall, and somehow relevant to the website they point to. 

So, to summarize: one needs both hosting and a domain name to have a website. The cost of a package like this averages about $75.00 / year (the last time I checked) on GoDaddy, but they often have some attractive incentives and offers for first timers.

StarNet Solutions www.starnetsolutions.net

View solution in original post

"...but they often have some attractive incentives and offers for first timers."

What they don't have is any rewards for long-time customers, whom they seem to take for granted. I guess someone has to pay for Danica.

Super User II Super User II
    Super User II

This is how I explain what hosting is to clients:

Most simply put hosting is the house where your website lives. Your domain name (URL or web address) is the street name and number that directs people to your house. Your website requires hosting for the same reason you require a house.

We find this the most efficient way to explain hosting because we can extend the same line of thinking to explain, shared hosting (living in a apartment building), reselling (renting out your basement), moving your website hosting, better hosting, hosting differences, SSL certificates, email, dedicated IP, SEO, subdomains, colocation, internet real estate, SPAM, web ads, web maintenance, data centers...

I'm a simple guy though. I don't typically spend time with specifics and a bunch of technical terms. I'm not a fan of having a client's eyes glazing over on me as I speak geek to them. I'm curious to hear how others explain what hosting is. I've heard it explained using pizza before but when I tried that the examples disappeared much too quickly.

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

Advocate V Advocate V
    Advocate V

Say I go to the trouble of creating a website.  I spend a lot of time getting my pages just the way I want them with information about my business, what services I offer and how to get in touch with me.  The site I just created is saved in files that contain the HTML and CSS markup that a browser can interpret into something that looks great.

Wonderful!

Now I want the world to see my pages so I can start generating mass quantities of business. How do I do that?

If those files exist on my local machine, I would have to leave my computer on 24/7 to make sure I don't miss any visitors. And I would have to run special software so that my computer acts like a web server.  Then, while I was hard at work on my next site redesign, my computer would have to be spending resources on showing people the site I have.

Not optimal. And often, not even possible.  Most Internet Service Providers take a dim view of you operating a web server on their equipment and server software is complex and hard to maintain.  Even if you could operate the server, if you started getting massive amounts of hits on your site (yay!), most people's internet connection won't have the bandwidth to keep up.

The solution is to upload my files to a web hosting company like GoDaddy.  I give them a few dollars a month and they agree to leave their server on 24/7 to make my site available across the United States and even to the world.  Their computers are beefy machines specifically designed to serve up websites and their technicians know all about keeping servers up to date and healthy.

Keep on Coding!
    Mark Cicchetti - There are 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary and those who don't.
    Helper I

Rachel,

Simply put - hosting refers to the people who accommodate/house your 'business' on-line.

Bless!