• Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Highlighted

What's proper Size of photos for slideshows?

Does anybody know the proper size a photo needs to be when bringing into the slideshows?  Or is there a special way to save the photos so that the edges don't get chopped off?  I've been formatting the photos in photoshop and bringing them in to GoDaddy.  I can't find the right size so they don't get cropped.

13 REPLIES 13
    Helper V
    Helper V

Re: Size of photos

@Andrea4701 The right size varies depending on several factors like what platform you are using and what size is set for the image to display. What platform are you using? Wordpress, Joomal, HTML, WSB? can you provide a link to your site? this will allow me or someone else to take a look and provide a rough guide on optimal image size.

@oslinux, I'm using web site builder and am having problems with pictures being cropped off/too big.

Helper V

@trenchbrothersg

Hi there,

found this here in godaddy, hope it helps !

https://www.godaddy.com/help/add-image-8367

Mrsroadrunner Photography

Re: What's proper Size of photos for slideshows?

I'm having the same problem. I have my slideshow set up in the website builder to be the width of the page, and would like my photos to be that wide. When I check the "Automatically zoom to fit" button, it cuts a lot of the picture off --- every side is cropped inwards. When I uncheck the button, the image is too small. I have  made sure that the image is 1920 x 1080 pixels, which is GoDaddy's limit, so I don't understand why I the "Automatically zoom to fit" button doesn't work -- why it crops the photo so badly instead of just making it large enough to fit the size of the slideshow window. 

I edit photos in Photoshop and transfer them over to the website builder. Any suggestions? 

I'm working on a slide show, and had a technical issue of not knowing a particular, so I put a gallery in for now. However, for that, I haven't had any problems. I open them in paint, and they are much bigger than full screen, so I resize by putting 70 in the box, cropping if needed. That is the size of the photos after I zoom up, on this page of my site: http://www.sleesecurity.com/-jonah...--slideshow.html. Once I get my slideshow done, I'll repost if there's any issues with doing it that way.  

I JUST COMPLETED MY SLIDE SHOW, USING THE METHOD I POSTED BEFORE: I OPENED EACH PIC IN MICROSOFT PAINT, THEN RESIZED, TYPING '70' (THAT'S WHATEVER YOU CHOOSE), THEN CROPPING AS NEEDED. WHAT YOU SEE ON MY SLIDE SHOW [http://www.sleesecurity.com/-jonah...--slideshow.html] IS THE IMAGE ZOOMED UP QUITE A BIT. HOPE THIS HELPS.

Here's what I do after encountering the SAME issue - UGH !  Is to make the photo square by adding canvas size and cropping to a square... here's what I mean... If you do photoshop, (or paint.net) etc... (I use paint.net so hopefully this can be done in photoshop I'd think)  OK - so change the CANVAS SIZE of the photo - so the photo has the same size, but you are adding 'space' around the photo, like a border. (come to think of it, a border might work if it is big enough) - then I CROP the photo to make it SQUARE and to make the center photo small enough to "trick it" so to speak into fitting the actual photo you want. (here's a haha - I'm trying to upload a picture to show, and it is stuck on the upload!) well back to the CANVAS SIZE which surrounds your photo, I also make this "border/canvas" a complimenting color. Then when uploaded it will end up showing your picture !  I also made the pixel size 500x500. 

hope this helps, reply with any questions, maybe I havent explained clearly, so I am glad to clarify! 

New

It drove me crazy too.  I called at least 6 times but never got an answer.  Oh, some things I was told was " I uploaded too high of a resolution image", when actually it was only 72dpi.  And changing the image size to 4 different heights trying to find the size that would work did not help.  Even a tiny 200x200 image ( I did for fun to see reaction) was actually blown up and cropped as well.  I work with photoshop all day so I know how to do the basics.  Nevertheless, I just chose a different layout instead which works ok.  It does not crop images either on top or bottom.  Other option would be to go to wordpress of have their tech design a site.  I'll keep using gocentral until I really need to get more professional look.

what are optimal image size and resolution for import to my website

I can get them all to fit

New

When creating my web site I had the same problem trying to figure out the best image size to avoid them from getting cropped.  I created many different sizes in photoshop.  Images too high vertically were cropped, and images to small vertically were blown up and then cropped (I have no clue why that happened).  After many tests, I finally found the right size.  It is 680 pixels in height.  Nothing was cropped on those uploaded images.  The images on my web site are the perfect size. If your web site was created with a different theme I'm not sure if the 680 pixels in height will work.

I am with Wix now and I want to come over but the size is an issue for me. Wix gives you large sizes but their customer service and tech support are terrible.

Thank you!!!

After spending a week tearing my hair out to get the pictures to fit into the slideshow, this solution worked for me

<<<

@alwayssomething wrote:

Here's what I do after encountering the SAME issue - UGH !  Is to make the photo square by adding canvas size and cropping to a square... here's what I mean... If you do photoshop, (or paint.net) etc... (I use paint.net so hopefully this can be done in photoshop I'd think)  OK - so change the CANVAS SIZE of the photo - so the photo has the same size, but you are adding 'space' around the photo, like a border. (come to think of it, a border might work if it is big enough) - then I CROP the photo to make it SQUARE and to make the center photo small enough to "trick it" so to speak into fitting the actual photo you want. (here's a haha - I'm trying to upload a picture to show, and it is stuck on the upload!) well back to the CANVAS SIZE which surrounds your photo, I also make this "border/canvas" a complimenting color. Then when uploaded it will end up showing your picture !  I also made the pixel size 500x500. 

hope this helps, reply with any questions, maybe I havent explained clearly, so I am glad to clarify! 

Solution

Here is how I tried it.

Create your slideshow on your page, drag it to the approximate size you want displayed.

Click Settings, click advanced, scroll to bottom and the pixel rate will be displayed.

I chose to round those numbers and still get the fit on the page I desired.

Then use your photo editing software, I use Photoshop.

Create a new file and set the size at whatever pixel rate you chose in GD site builder. Place your image and edit to fit your canvas. You can modify, crop, stretch, add text or whatever effects you want.

Save as jpg, I just created a new folder on my desktop called GoDaddy Images for easy retrieval. Navigate  back to GD Site builder, click your slideshow and add/manage images. Use browse and upload the image from your desktop folder and insert into slideshow.  

I also checked the "zoom to fit" under the settings tab.

Seems to work for me.