cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Highlighted
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

What website tool should I use?

I'm just starting a business and need to create a website. What product do you recommend that use? I need something really easy to start out with because I don't have a lot of time.

GoDaddy Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to give kudos to others and accept a solution if someone answered your question.
    12 REPLIES 12
    Highlighted
    Advocate VI Advocate VI
    Advocate VI

Re: What website tool should I use?

Well, definitely consider WordPress. It's the kind of tool where you can have a basic site quickly by sticking with the generic "out of the box" solution, or you can customize the heck out of it.

I'm sure many people would agree with me that it's an optimal solution for a number of reasons:

1. The core software itself is free, and gets updated pretty often for new features and bug fixes.
    2. It’s easy to install on most types of hosting (although of course GoDaddy's Managed WordPress is my favorite hosting solution, in that it does a lot for you, and is optimized in a number of ways).
    3. You can customize as much or as little as you want.
    4. You can do just about everything via browser, so you don't need to buy additional software or learn programming (unless, of course, you WANT to).
    5. There is built-in functionality for a blog right on your website, which is certainly convenient if you want to add that capability.
    6. Many people already use it (I think I read recently that about 25% of all websites are built on WordPress)

That last item is particularly important… since WordPress use is so popular, you have available:

1. Excellent, in-depth documentation resources online.
    2. Many qualified pros to help if you want/need to pay for extras (from one-time fixes up to complete custom design).
    3. Discussion boards where people discuss issues and answer questions down to the last detail.
    4. Many plug-ins (many free, some not) that can help you implement specific extra features without being a programmer.

There are other selling points, but this is a start. When I first began building websites, the tool of choice was Front Page 95 (!), then Dreamweaver. I have built all of my client sites using WordPress for about the last 5 years, so that probably tells you I am a big fan!

Highlighted
    Advocate III
    Advocate III

Greetings,

I built my first web site with GoDaddy five years ago, using their pre-made templates. After the initial learning curve, I found their format to be very easy to navigate and use. My personal blog was via WordPress but at the time, I don't believe WordPress was available with GoDaddy, but I could be wrong.

Last year I rebuilt my web site with GoDaddy's newest WebSiteBuilder format, 7.0. (I hope that's correct). The templates are much more polished and professional looking - very much like a WordPress template. The SEO is already included in the newer version and my on-line presence with Google and other search engines has increased dramatically. The templates are easy to use and I can upload documents, links etc.

I'm also happy that I can have PayPal buttons on my pages that my clients use all the time.

I have no technical background - I'm sure there's better reasons to use WordPress, but I've been very happy with WebSiteBuilder.

Hope this helped!

Highlighted
    Advocate II
    Advocate II

I too have enjoyed using GoDaddy's Website Builder. My website was initially created on Adobe GoLive, which got phased out and users were forced to switch over to Dreamweaver. I hated Dreamweaver. It simply became a nightmare for me to try and keep my site current and fresh.

Hence the switch to Website Builder. I love it! There are a few little things I miss or would like to have, but that is to be expected when you switch to a "paint by the numbers" platform. But it does provide me a great amount of latitude to do some of my own customization... and it is VERY user-friendly.

It also works great on mobile devices, which is, of course, critical (and I did not have previously).

I actually use a WordPress backend Admin platform on another website I write for regularly. The backend is pretty simple to use. But I've had no experience whatsoever building a frontend display.

My general suggestion is that if you have some Intermediate web expertise, go with Wordpress. But if you are less experienced, or want extremely simple ease-of-use, go with GoDaddy's Website Builder.

Highlighted
    Advocate V Advocate V
    Advocate V

I'm going to say, it depends on your level of expertise and your needs.  If you're the owner of a site and want to build just the one website, maybe Wordpress would be the way to go.

If you're a developer and you have a client that wants the ability to update the site periodically without having to get you involved for a two minute edit of some wording or updating a telephone number, again, I like Wordpress but there's also Drupal and Joomla.  These are called Content Management Systems (aka CMS).

I tend to stay away from CMSs for serious projects though.  They want to handle a wide variety of needs so they tend towards code bloat.  And once you start to add plugins the code bloat gets out of control pretty quick.

As far as Desktop tools for creating websites, the pages themselves are straight text so technically you could create a site in notepad and upload it in FileZilla (and in a pinch, I have).

Personally, I use Adobe Dreamweaver because you can drag and drop a lot of elements into the design view, clean up the code and add Javascript and CSS in the code view and then upload with a simple keystroke.  With two decades in the business, you can imagine I've worked on a lot of sites and each site is defined (FTP host, username and password) in a dropdown list so I can switch from one project to the next in a couple of clicks.  And having an Adobe Creative Cloud subscription ($50 a month!  Ouch!) gives me access to a host of other programs like Photoshop, Acrobat, Illustrator and InDesign as well as some helper programs like Edge Inspect that allows me to test the same website on a number of devices (tablets, iPhone, Android phone etc) at the same time so my responsive programming looks good everywhere.

If you want to stick with the free solutions, try Notepad++.  It has code coloring similar to Dreamweavers and you can get a plugin that will allow you to upload (FTP) directly from the program.

Keep on Coding!
    Mark Cicchetti - There are 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary and those who don't.
    Highlighted
    Helper I
    Helper I

Rachel,

Like many of the other respondents, I will recommend Website Tonight.

It's easy!

I began learning Word-Press. Time was against me. I returned to Website Tonight.

My only regret with Website Tonight., the older version(s) facilitated my use of HTML, modifying my pages.

I miss that. Maybe it is in the new version. But I am not seeing it.

Bless!

Highlighted
    New

WordPress is great for everyone from the website beginner to coders, because you can either leave it stock and simple or you can add your custom code to the theme files (if you have the skills) don't be intimidated you can learn coding if you have the time and will.

If you use WordPress just remember to use a caching plugin like WP SuperCache because if you don't, unfortunately due to Godaddy's slooooooooooooowwwwwwww shared hosting your website will load very SSSSSLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYY if you don't.

I usually install WordPress, then a theme, then I set in designing the website by customizing the PHP, CSS and HTML in the theme files to suit me. Then I will custom design content for the pages in Adobe Dreamweaver and paste it into the code view of WordPress page or post adder in WordPress's "back panel behind the scenes" (as I call it) area for the site admins.

Highlighted
    Employee
    Employee

Hi @PCuzer! Thanks for joining the conversation here. Just wanted to jump in and say that our hosting servers are usually pretty fast. So if you're seeing slowness that's something our hosting team will want to look into with you. You can reach out to them 24/7 for help.

Heather - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    24/7 support available at x.co/247support
    Highlighted
    New

Oh Contraire,  I have had shared hosting with GoDaddy since the bad ole days of their vulgar advertising Circa 2010. I have around a dozen WordPress sites on their plan and even when I use a caching plugin a lot of the times when accessing my sites you get a blank browser page with the words " Internal Server Error" when this happens you have to refresh the page until you can get it to come up. I know this for a fact, I sure didn't make this up. And if I didn't use a WordPress caching plugin my sites only come up less then 30% of the time on the first try. GoDaddy does not have enough bandwidth going to their shared hosting servers and there is no sense in lying for them. This is all due to a matter of greed. And like I said I have been hosting with them for 6 years. And I am viewing my sites on a 10 megabit DSL line so it sure isn't my internet speed causing the problem.

Highlighted
    Helper I
    Helper I

For what it's worth, @PCuzer, I'd take Heather's advice and contact GoDaddy support.  I just counted 16 WordPress sites on my shared hosting, and I've never had hosting-related issues in the 6-7 years I've been using GoDaddy hosting.  I'd take a closer look at the issue, because your behavior doesn't sound typical.  I recommend GoDaddy for all my web clients and I've never had issues working on any of their sites either.

For the sake of full disclosure, I was running their shared hosting from about 6-7 years ago to about 2 weeks ago, when I finally switched over to dedicated hosting.  I honestly haven't noticed any performance changes in switching from one to the other.

I'd recommend getting in touch with GoDaddy support, and then get a hold of a quality web developer in order to get your problem resolved.

Also, for what it's worth, in a world of gigabit fiber (of which I had the pleasure of using daily for the last year), 10 mbps DSL is a dinosaur in the modern internet world.  I wouldn't be so quick to rule out your connection as a source of your problems.

Mike
    Web Developer at BOLDelite.com
    Highlighted
    New

When you live in the rural mid-west 10 megabit DSL is all you can get, unless you want to spring for satellite. And FYI I don't need a web developer, I am one,  I edit PHP, HTML & CSS in WordPress. I also write new code in Dreamweaver just like you. Why would I have over a dozen sites hosted with Godaddy for over 6 years if I didn't know how to do it. I also usually earn over $100 a month from AdSense from my sites. I am also a trained computer hardware tech and I have been doing all of this since the mid 90's, so what do you want to know?

Highlighted
    Helper I
    Helper I

@PCuzer, I'd be cautious about throwing too much out there, thinking it adds validity.  I can't say I've ever met a self-respecting developer that uses Dreamweaver.  It's a great tool for a designer that doesn't understand code at an intimate level, but it's not a fantastic option for really getting down and dirty developing web applications and doing anything beyond basic front end HTML work.  I also question developers that have a heavy reliance on WP plugins of any nature.  If you can't develop an efficient product without a plugin, there's something missing.

Also, when you work with accounts that have hundred thousand dollar per month ad budgets, hearing about someone making $100 a month off AdSense doesn't sound overly impressive.  Admittedly, though, I make $0 off AdSense... because I haven't been able to ethically convince myself to subject my site visitors to ads.

All that said, if I had a dozen client sites that were performing in such a poor fashion as you're describing, and if I thought the web host was the cause of that, I can't say I'd still be using that host.

If you shared a few of the url's you're having specific problems with, I'd be happy to test it on gigabit internet and see if I can help you discover the source of the problem.  Maybe it's GoDaddy; maybe it's not.  All I know is that I haven't had any problems with them at all.

Mike
    Web Developer at BOLDelite.com
    Highlighted

how to add google adsense's ad-code in that website builder ?