• Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Highlighted

Working around Website Builder - adding ALT tags and a sitemap

Godaddy SEO is terrible and you cannot get support chat, so hoping this forum can help.

Please help me access my html, so I can add ALT tags and a sitemap.  Website Builder has significantly handcuffed my ability to optimize my sites SEO - my Weebly site is #1 on Google (they have a feature rich SEO website builder), but you cannot find my godaddy site using my own title!! - horrible.

my site - http://www.ourfamilylaw.com/

19 REPLIES 19
    Highlighted
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

Re: Working around Website Builder - adding ALT tags and a sitemap

Hi @alocatelli

It's true that Website Builder v7 doesn't currently support ALT tags. However, this is a feature we're looking at incorporating into the builder. It may be available in a future release of the product. 

As for Website Builder and SEO in general, the Website Builder Business Plus plan comes with an SEO wizard that helps optimize your site. You may consider investing in this (if you haven't already) if SEO is an important feature to you. For more information, please see https://www.godaddy.com/help/use-seo-wizard-to-get-your-site-found-online-8829

Does anyone else in the community have SEO suggestions for Website Builder? We'd love to see them here!

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
    Highlighted
    New

In other words.... cough up $80 to get Godaddy to do what others let you do for free.

Highlighted

Hey @loogie,

Glad to have you join us! Smiley Happy

I don't believe that is what was suggested by Jesse's response. Sounds like you might be experiencing an different issue? You're welcome to start a new new topic for discussion so other members can help out with your specific matter. 

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    24/7 support available at x.co/247support
    Highlighted
    New

I have a suggestion. As a long time client of godaddy I have been severely disappointed with my choice of website builder. I chose website builder because I have not been able to keep up with all the changes required in DIY web building, especially when it came to mobile. 

When I signed on to this I had no idea I would not be able to do certain things (i.e., SEO) on my own. I can't even add an XML sitemap. That's abSURD!  It's really a joke on me and I'm not frikken laughing. It's insulting to ask for an additional $5/month to do something for me that I can easily do on my own if only godaddy would let me.

The site in question has been online since 1989, yet google will not index now and I am getting ZERO traffic with the new site. Z E R O

My suggestion - GIVE US MORE OPTIONS with website builder. Otherwise, I will be eating my loss and getting out of here before I go out of business. 

Highlighted

I could not agree more... first thing Google Webmaster says is NO SITEMAP.  And no alt tag support for product images is catastrophic for trying to lure traffic.  BTW, I called the award winning support 2yrs ago about the alt tag issue, they said then as they say now, we'll have it in 6mo's.  Evidently that's their standard line to keep you hanging in there.   Very disappointing.

Highlighted

I have the same problem. I will be moving to Weebly within the month! As an artist, it would be nice to see one of my images found in a Google search, just one. GD is useless and costs me money and business.

Highlighted

This is Strange!!

In this age of so many informed customers, how can goDaddy try to create such limitations?? Additional charges to let me optimize my website?????????? Have you lost your mind?????

How can we get them to help on this? Any clue?

Adit Chouhan

Highlighted

They should provide a free of charge website builder. Any other company like netfirms or one.com they offer free website builder

Highlighted

There is a sitemap at [YourDomainName]\sitemap.xml.

This references sitemap.desktop.xml and sitemap.mobile.xml.

Submit these to your search provider and am assuming they will be indexed.

Highlighted

@JesseW    appreciate you trying to help and I will kudos your comment but Ive got to side with the customers on this one.

I may  consider the pro version of the product but when you say IF SEO is an important feature to you it sounds really ignorant. Of course its an important feature, it would be the rare exception rather than the rule that SEO would not be an important feature.

But actually I was wondering how to install a remarketing tag for adwords in quick shopping cart? Ill have to start a thread maybe? Because this is what came up when I searched for it. Im surprised I was first.

Highlighted
    New

I have submitted the automatically generated sitemap to Google, but get a 404 error. What am I supposed to do? I'm trying to improve my visibility as I get hardly any views and therefore few sales. It's due for renewal May and I think I'm going to have to cut my losses and go elsewhere because this is ridiculous. If anyone can help I would be grateful.

Highlighted

How did you submit to google? If you go to the search console and go down to crawl then sitemap u just paste [YourDomainName]\sitemap.xml it works i have done mine although im still looking for an alt tag alternative 

Highlighted

Youre suggesting to add this: (yoursite.com)\sitemap.xml

For anyone direct copying this will not work - "forward slash" is needed

Should be: (yoursite.com)/sitemap.xml

That works just fine.

But I'd also like alt tags...

Highlighted

Thanks for the help with the sitemap...

GoDaddy still strikes out due to the lack of ALT tags.

Starting today I will begin re-building our website using WIX.

Goodbye

Highlighted
    New

My suggestion for the website builder is to add the ability to use alt tags and upload of sitemaps.

There is no point to having a website that is not search engine optimized, and Go Daddy should not be offering a "web builder" that does not have these options. I can see charging additional for automated SEO, but for true do-it-yourself web building, basic SEO options and formatting necessary for Google (such as image tags) optimization need to be available!!

Please reconsider this before you lose more customers to Wix and Weebly.

Highlighted

hello, whats going on here?

Highlighted

JesseW, any update from GoDaddy on the ability to add metatags/alt text to our site via the website builder?  It was over a year ago you replied it is a feature that is in the works. It is a feature we really need, please advise.

What about "headers" as well. I did my website grader and it is quite poor due to not having these things taken care of. Thanks, Maitri

Highlighted

I just posted the same question, and was also told the development team was  working on a solution.  Has anyone else found a solution?  What has everyone else done?

Highlighted

New enough at this to ask the question. Why is Godaddy handicapping their customers ability to succeed? I have spent a couple hundred dollars to get my site running, only to be embarrassed when customers can't even direct search and find my site? It may not mean a lot to GD but some of us are working on a shoestring budget an we trusted you not to bleed us dry. So I have a nice website which no one can find? I can't even optimize its ability to be found...................