• GoDaddy Community
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 

You deleted my entire site?

I am pretty upset that my entire breast cancer website is now gone. i spent time on the phone with a rep who assisted me in cleaning up my acct by deleting the unused domain names. i wanted to keep only three, laff2live, rickgbaker.com and rickbakershow.com. I deleted all the others and i guess in the process deleted my entire wordpress breast cancer site? i think the rep should have told me when i went through them one by one that the entire site was gone? i am a novice, admittedly so, but now, you want me to spend another $200 to rebuy my wordpress package that I already bought? Be ashamed.

14 REPLIES 14
    Super User I Super User I
    Super User I

Re: You deleted my entire site?

Hello @rglennbaker. First off so sorry to hear when anyone loses a website, files or content.

Seems like you are saying two things here? 1. You were deleting domain names (I have no idea why you would do that) 2. You deleted something from hosting

I'm a bit confused as to what could have happened here but it doesn't immediately seem like you have completely lost your website or have to pay money to restore it? Did you cancel your hosting account? Maybe you just deleted your WordPress database? Did you just delete your WordPress file structure? When did all of this occur?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

Hey Roy, it all happened yesterday. I was deleting many of the domain names I didn't need anymore. Told the rep I wanted to keep LAFF2LIVE.com because is our Breast Cancer Foundation site. Somehow the whole Wordpress package was deleted and my entire site was gone.
    Super User I

What hosting plan are you using? Is your hosting plan still visible under your My Account? Can you still see your WordPress database?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

No it's all gone.
    Super User I

So you cancelled your hosting? What were the exact actions you performed?

I didn't mean to cancel anything only delete domain names I no longer needed. I checked boxes on my domains page to delete with the help of the rep. I clicked delete and it was done. I guess the Wordpress was there somewhere but neither one of us knew it.
    Super User I

So from your Domain Manager you went More > Delete Domain then you would have gotten a Warning! Deleting your domain prevents you from accessing this domain and releases it to the general domain pool. Products that will be terminated: with a list of products, Services that may be disrupted: with a list of services Then you checked the I want to delete this domain(s). and clicked the Delete button?

If that is the case what you really mean is "I deleted my entire site!"

Yes.
    Super User I

That is literally a costly mistake. Those warnings are certainly there for a reason and I suspect that the representative would have also warned you? There is no real reason to delete a domain since domains are prepaid, you could have just let the domain expire when the renewal was up. For others who are looking to release a domain just make sure that the Auto Renew option is off and it will go away. If the many warnings you get are too much you can remove it from your Domain Manager at that time.

By costly mistake @rglennbaker I mean that it REALLY looks like the only way to get your website back is to pay the restoration fee. Again I'm to hear when anyone loses a website, files or content. Given this situation AND the many warnings you blew through unless you have backups (which it doesn't sound like you do) then it is restoration for you. The good news is that you are all about Lifestyle, Attitude, Food and Faith so this is easy to get through. Wish there was more help or advice I could provide.

No, the rep did not warn me, was helping me delete. I did not delete the domain name. Just something else that we both missed. In the end, 100% my fault. Just very sad to lose everything when my wife is fighting stage 4 do gallantly.
    Super User I

I saw a glimpse of the site and it looks like it was a really nice website, I again wish that I could offer you a better solution.

Employee
    Employee

Hello there @rglennbaker,

Thanks for reaching out about your experience. I'm sorry to hear about your wife's battle with cancer and the loss of your website data. I'd love to help out here if I can. I'll reach out to you privately so we can discuss the details and see what options we have.

Thank you!

Heather - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    24/7 support available at x.co/247support

Thank you Heather.

Was my fault in the end, Roy. Thanks.