• GoDaddy Community
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 

creating a membership login for my customer

Hey im using godaddy website builder and i want to build a sign in  / login for my members on my site.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
    Super User II Super User II
    Super User II

Re: creating a membership login for my customer

@skyhighexotics

GoCentral does not offer a membership type login feature that I am aware of.  Just double-checked my test account to be sure there were not any new features (GoDaddy does update that platform on a regular basis) and no go.

If you want to have protected content and the ability to setup memberships and levels you'll want to check out WordPress.  WordPress makes membership sites easy with a slew of free and premium plugins to accomplish this.

HTH! Smiley Wink

Judith
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

New

I would actually advise against WordPress or any CMS  for that matter especially if it is a membership-based business... WordPress and CMS, in general, is a very heavy platform and it takes time to load everything that is needed. for backend and frontend and because of that I recommend creating a custom website that is using another library or created from scratch for best performance. 

Super User II

@KTS

If you don't know what you are doing, yes, that can be the case.  But it is not correct to make such a general statement as if that's that case for all WordPress sites.

If setup using properly coded themes, plugins and premium hosting, WordPress memberships sites can be zippy.

Slow WordPress sites tend to be those that are poorly structured and pieced together not taking into consideration theme code, outdated, unnecessary or bloated plugins, unnecessarily large images -- I could go on.

As with anything online, there is the right way to do things and the wrong way.... Smiley Wink

Judith

New

@Muse

Hello Muse,

It is not a general statement it is nearly impossible to get the same performance with the same system as a custom website. The fact of the matter is CMS is a heavy platform and because of that alone speed is reduced. I have yet to see a WordPress based website that has 100% page speed and 100% if not close to 100% YSlow speed without using CDN and a high-end server (as you stated a premium hosting). I mean think about it if WordPress is that good fortune 500 companies would be using it the architecture is way too standard and security issues will persist because the architecture is known to the general public. Thus if you're targeted you will be an easier hack... Like I said why isn't Walmart, Target, or other bigger companies using it less work more profit right well not really... Not saying it will happen but there is a higher chance of that happening on a CMS based website... Am I saying CMS is bad? No by no means am I stating that bold of a statement I just wouldn't recommend it for a system that will be processing payments having memberships and what not is all I am saying. Feel free to correct me if you think I am wrong and if you can find any websites that are not running on CDN, is fast, and has a small size overall let me know I would really like to delve into that. Please don't think I am arguing with you I am just looking at it in a different perspective. I am a Software Systems Engineer so I analyze systems quite a bit but that does not mean I cannot be wrong. So if you can teach me a thing or two I would greatly appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Karthik 

Super User II

@KTS

Actually we're on the same page! Smiley Wink  As you clarified yourself there are considerations that need to be considered to get the best performance... based on the type, size and volume a site will need to accommodate. 

" I have yet to see a WordPress based website that has 100% page speed and 100% if not close to 100% YSlow speed without using CDN and a high-end server (as you stated a premium hosting)."

Using a CDN is standard and customary best practice in today's environment to garner best performance. 

I don't think you are "wrong"  just thought the statement was a bit general and could be misleading being most folks here are *not* Fortune 500 companies.  BTW, you can see the F500s using WordPress in the Showcase here, here, and hereSmiley Wink

WordPress is not the end-all-be-all for all applications.  But for small businesses, sole-props and Mom and Pops, WordPress has been an equalizer.

Judith

New

@Muse

Hey Muse,

Of course, there are considerations there always has to be considerations especially when it is regarding a system. Just like testing, building, or documentation, there is no one size fits all.  A few things I would recommend WordPress or CMS based platforms for is for blogs and possibly even informational websites assuming the person who builds the website knows how to build it properly as you stated above. But I would say above all if the user does not plan on managing the system via the backend it makes no sense to use WordPress. The other reason I also advised against it (not saying my way is the only way, of course, you have your opinion and what you recommend) was because server cost can get costly later down the road especially if the website becomes popular and the website is receiving visits. If that occurs the resource allocation becomes an issue increase in ram, space and so on... 

Also, I just took a look at the links you listed... Thanks for taking the time to do that it is much appreciated. That being said, the public storage is the only one that really stood out to me as being a WordPress website and it took payments. I couldn't however test the payments to confirm it is using a WordPress based plugin or what not. That being said, I did look around and wanted to point out it would be very expensive to build a system like because the website is heavily themed and optimized (meaning quite a bit of cost) even the backend is themed and I am sure the backend is done custom for the ease of use fo the company.  More time equals more cost... Most of the other websites are all blog based or informative I did, however, see a few such as Usain Bolt and Van Heusen which had a shop shown but their shops actually redirect to a custom-made website which is based on ASP.net... Which goes back to the point I made initially about if it is a payment based website I would highly advise against using WordPress as the core Unless the person creating the website as you stated is very experienced in it and plans on consistently maintaining it. But if custom is an option go that route... It is not always necessary to reinvent the wheel but if the wheel can be enhanced and reinvented why not? Anyways, if you are free one of these days, Muse, I'd love to get together with you and possibly have a conversation over skype or hangout regarding WP optimization a bit more if you have free time that is if not all is well... 

Sincerely,

Karthik 

New

Hi, I realize this post was eight months ago.  With that being said, Gocentral now has member only pages, which I created.  But how do you list the members, or edit a page that they can sign up?

Thank you,