• Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

member only area of my website

I need to add a members only (password required) area of my website for our dealer network to access proprietary information.  can this be done with godaddys website builder?

14 REPLIES 14
    New

Re: member only area of my website

It can now.  It looks like they literally just added this feature a few days ago.

How?

New
    Solution

Go to any actual page that you've created on your site.  Left click on the 3 dots to the right of your page name, then click on Page Settings.  You will then see an option for Members Only with a little lock emblem.  Move the little slider to the right to activate it.  Then you just need to add the e-mail addresses of your members.  When they visit a page on your site that is members only for the first time it will ask them to enter their e-mail address.  Once they do they will be sent a link (provided that their e-mail matches one that you have entered as a member prior).  They click on the link and that will grant them access to any members-only areas of your website.  They will then have permanent access to members-only areas of your site (as long as you keep their e-mail listed in the Member section).  They should only have to enter their e-mail address again if they try to access a Members-only area from a different computer, phone, tablet, etc.  If you delete someone from your Member list then they will no longer have access to members-only areas.

The question asked about password access. I certainly would put proprietary information on a “Members Only” page that only required an email address.

New

My fault--I missed the password protected part.  Unfortunately, this is the closest thing they have for now.  You do only get granted access after clicking on the link that is sent to your e-mail address and then only for the particular computer/phone/tablet that you are on.  If you try to access a members only page from a different computer then you will have to request a separate e-mail link. Still--certainly not the most secure thing out here.  For now, I still password protect any documents (Adobe Acrobat DC)  I put in my Members Only section.  That way I still have a level of security.

I run a youth baseball club with multiple teams.  If I give the parents of team 1 member access (for a private team 1 page), and parents of team 2 member access (for a private team 2 page)...will all "members" be treated equally and have access to each other's private pages?

Thanks!

Highlighted

hmmm ... I'm not seeing any Members Only option at all ... is it only under certain "website builder" plans or something

@ewiz06 wrote:

Go to any actual page that you've created on your site.  Left click on the 3 dots to the right of your page name, then click on Page Settings.  You will then see an option for Members Only with a little lock emblem.  Move the little slider to the right to activate it.  Then you just need to add the e-mail addresses of your members.  When they visit a page on your site that is members only for the first time it will ask them to enter their e-mail address.  Once they do they will be sent a link (provided that their e-mail matches one that you have entered as a member prior).  They click on the link and that will grant them access to any members-only areas of your website.  They will then have permanent access to members-only areas of your site (as long as you keep their e-mail listed in the Member section).  They should only have to enter their e-mail address again if they try to access a Members-only area from a different computer, phone, tablet, etc.  If you delete someone from your Member list then they will no longer have access to members-only areas.

?

Community Manager
    Community Manager

Hi @ElaineWard. The membership pages should be available on any GoCentral plan as long as you're in the US. If you're not seeing the option and are in the US, you may want to try clearing your cache to see if that helps. Otherwise, you can contact our support team so they can take a look at what's going on. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Hi,

Just wondering why the Members only feature is available only to US users? Is there any plan to open this up to other countries? 

Community Manager
    Community Manager

Hi @mmarcotte. We often roll new features out in US accounts first and work on making them better before releasing them more widely. I'm not sure why, but my guess would be that it's easier or more efficient to do it that way for some reason. From what I understand, we are looking to add the membership feature in other regions sometime this year.

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Something really odd happened today. I was on my own website and the members only option appeared so I tried it but since I didn't want to publish the page to my own website, when I went back the feature is now no longer there. I'm in Canada, so am I to assume they are testing it or was it a glich of some sort? I want to use GoDaddy for another website, but until the members only option is available, we are stuck with webs.com. Please advise ? 

Community Manager
    Community Manager

@mmarcotte - It's likely that you were experiencing some form of caching. The region or site displays is initially determined by your location. However, if you change the region using the option on our home page, you can see options available in other areas. You could probably use the membership feature if you make sure to change the region to "United States". Please keep in mind that clearing your browser cache/cookies will make the site revert back to your geographical region. 

If I were to do that, will the members-only section still exist once it's published? I really, really want to get away from webs.com, but and the lack of a members-only section is what's holding us back. I know we can do it through WordPress, but we want to make the site as easy to maintain as possible so are leaning toward the templates on a Go Central Account. 

Community Manager
    Community Manager

@mmarcotte - As far as I know, it should. It's just a matter of the option to enable it not being visible within the editor. Please keep in mind that the members only area is something that's still in development. Currently, it's not possible for members to sign up without your assistance. You need to add them manually before they can access the members-only pages for your site.