• Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

need help with my url

I uploaded my site via FTP to the public.html folder. But I can't find the url to it. Can anyone help me find it so I can see if it looks correct online?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Interestingly, http://solomutt.com/toon/ looks great.  When someone just types in the url (http://solomutt.com) the browser looks in the root folder (public_html) for a file called default.html or index.htm or index.html or index.php.  It's not finding it and it won't go looking for it.

The solution: Take everything in the toon folder and move it to the public_html folder.  In this case, the toon folder is getting in the way.  The files (and folders) in the toon folder should all be in the root folder.

Keep on Coding!
    Mark Cicchetti - There are 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary and those who don't.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
    Advocate VI

What is your domain name?

Do you have a file in that directory called index.htm or index.html?

Yes...the file fore the "home" or index page is in a folder named toon. The domain is solomutt.com.

Interestingly, http://solomutt.com/toon/ looks great.  When someone just types in the url (http://solomutt.com) the browser looks in the root folder (public_html) for a file called default.html or index.htm or index.html or index.php.  It's not finding it and it won't go looking for it.

The solution: Take everything in the toon folder and move it to the public_html folder.  In this case, the toon folder is getting in the way.  The files (and folders) in the toon folder should all be in the root folder.

Keep on Coding!
    Mark Cicchetti - There are 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary and those who don't.

View solution in original post

Thanks. Its actually a project for class, but I had to write the articles and everything since the instructor said no lorem ipsum. (I did do the illustrations myself though). Thanks for your help.

It had that feel to it.  That's why I included an explanation along with the solution.Smiley Wink

Keep on Coding!

Forgive me for jumping in unsolicited on this, but it's a hot-button topic for me 😉

You wrote:

'toon is a registered trademark™ of Giant Star Entertainment

You're using trademark notation incorrectly. To start with, if it's a registered trademark, it should have the R-in-a-circle notation like this ®. That means it's been formally registered with the US Patent & Trademark Office.

The ™ is used on something that you want to claim as a trademark, but it is not yet registered. And usually the intent is to register it. When you apply for a trademark, you need to show that you're already using it, so you'd want it on your site to demonstrate that you have already publicly used the term with intent to register it.

The way to do it is like this:

'toon™ is a trademark of Giant Star Entertainment

Now having said that, I did a quick search at the USPTO, and of course numerous versions of words/phrases with toon have been registered. So you need to confirm that you are not actually infringing on anyone else's trademark. USPTO Trademark Search 

It sounds like this is for a class, and not a "real" site (although I could be wrong). I doubt the pro would mark you off for something like this, but it never hurts to know how it's supposed to work 😉

Thanks for the information. I'll fix that soon with the trademark thing. But the site isn't really for anything but a class I took. I might keep it around though.

@webdiva wrote:

Forgive me for jumping in unsolicited on this, but it's a hot-button topic for me 😉

@You wrote:

'toon is a registered trademark™ of Giant Star Entertainment

You're using trademark notation incorrectly. To start with, if it's a registered trademark, it should have the R-in-a-circle notation like this ®. That means it's been formally registered with the US Patent & Trademark Office.

The ™ is used on something that you want to claim as a trademark, but it is not yet registered. And usually the intent is to register it. When you apply for a trademark, you need to show that you're already using it, so you'd want it on your site to demonstrate that you have already publicly used the term with intent to register it.

The way to do it is like this:

'toon™ is a trademark of Giant Star Entertainment

Now having said that, I did a quick search at the USPTO, and of course numerous versions of words/phrases with toon have been registered. So you need to confirm that you are not actually infringing on anyone else's trademark. USPTO Trademark Search 

It sounds like this is for a class, and not a "real" site (although I could be wrong). I doubt the pro would mark you off for something like this, but it never hurts to know how it's supposed to work 😉