• Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    New

paypal donate button DONATE ID

I just wasted over 30 minutes with GoDaddy tech support who ultimately gave me the wrong answer... so be aware that the Paypal DONATE settings is NOT looking for a snippet of code (per tech support and thus sending me to paypal to solve the issue with go-daddy implementation) but for the paypal Merchant ID that you can copy and paste from your paypal login.  

7 REPLIES 7
    Super User I Super User I
    Super User I

Re: paypal donate button DONATE ID

It is unfortunate that you were steered in the wrong direction @NSRI. What exactly are you looking to do? 

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

Highlighted
    New

We were looking to have the DONATE button take you to our paypal account when someone clicked on it.  Instead it was going to an error page from Paypal.  

The tech support person didn't understand what the DONATE ID field required.  She kept me on hold three different times when I asked her a simple question: "Does this field (as part of GoDaddy's website builder) look for a Paypal ID or snippet of code to create the button"  After the third time back, she said snippet of code and that I needed to work this out with Paypal, which is the wrong answer.

I believe it used to be a snippet of code because that is what we had previously and it worked before.  But then it stopped working after a few months.  So i suspect GoDaddy changed it's implementation without telling anyone (thanks!) and now it only requires the Merchant ID which you can get from your Paypal login. 

Although this little issue was frustrating, overall the website builder is still a great way to build a good website quickly and easily Smiley Happy 

Super User I

Okay @NSRI I've never personally used that feature. In the past I've used a HTML block and PayPal provided code but I (probably much like the support person you spoke to) didn't have a clear understanding of what you were asking. Glad that you got it figured out, unfortunately you were patient zero. Were you using the HTML code before and switched to using the Builder PayPal button? 

Thanks for coming and adding your experience to the Community. I am sure that someone trying to work out this same issue will be happy that you saved them time. For anyone else trying to accomplish this check out Add a PayPal button for donations or single items (GoCentral). Thanks again @NSRI

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

New

@rd If you never used the feature, then I wouldn't expect you to know... however, tech support person was looking at the same screen i was looking at when she confirmed the field names.  This is the Go Daddy web builder UI.  We're not talking about something under the hood. See attached.DONATE UI.jpg

I am still confused as to what the purpose of the Donate ID button does.  I have two sections with a donate call to action.  I plan to only have 1 paypal acct and am hopeful that the donate ID button will designate which section (or donate button) that the donor contributed.  To further clarify...I have a "general" fund where a person can donate and a scholarship fund where someone can donate.  I'd like to only have one acct but be able to keep track of how the donations were earmarked. Is that possible??

Super User I

Love the name @grassrootgirl I'm not completely sure how donations from a particular button appear in PayPal (if you can specifically tell a donation came from one page or another). Is tracking if they donated from your home page or contact page important to you? 

Solution

I just set up a Donate button on our club website. For Donate ID, I typed in what the payment was to go to. In our case, it was to pay fees for an educational event we were having- I entered "Event Fees." I had to use a donate button because different people would have different fees, depending on the number of days they would attend...so I could not use the other payment button available because you have to set a certain payment amount. So they were not really "donating" but paying a fee and by adding "event fees," when they get a receipt for the payment, it lists "event fees" as the purpose of the donation. And then we also know what the "donation" was really when the payment is listed on our PayPal account. So to answer your question, it appears the Donation ID is just a description of what the donation is for. I wish they would have a payment button option that allows entering any amount, and not just one with a set amount. We use GoCentral builder, and our subscription level does not allow for a shopping cart where differing amounts could be figured by adding items to a cart. We had to use the DONATE button instead to solve the problem.