• Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    New

"Contact US" Map only loads in IE and Edge

When I add the embed map in the "Contact US" section, it seems the map will only show up in IE and Edge. When I load the page in Chrome, FireFox, or Opera I just get a big empty block.

How page appears in Chromo

23 REPLIES 23
    Employee
    Employee

Re: "Contact US" Map only loads in IE and Edge

Hi @jtrue

Thank you for your post. Going by the screenshot I presume you are using Layout 3 for the contact section.  I have also applied this layout to my test account which can be viewed through the following link:

http://vnext.zztek.net/

I have tested the live site through I.E., firefox, chrome and opera and am able to see the form on all browsers. Are you able to view the form on my test site?

Best Wishes!

-TechFly 

New

I am not, no.

Anonymous
    Not applicable

Hi @TechFly@jtrue,

I can in Safari....... Firefox......

New

@Anonymous</a>

Employee
    Employee

HI @jtrue

Thank you for the quick response.  This is an odd issue as it's not universal. The MAP iteself it an embed from MapBox. I did some google searching to see if anyone had the same issue with MapBox and was able to find a few threads. 

Browser Test for MapBox (Test to see if MapBox Renders)
    https://www.mapbox.com/mapbox-gl-js/example/check-for-support/

Thread 1
    https://github.com/mapbox/mapbox-gl-js/issues/2178

Thread 2
    https://github.com/mapillary/mapillary_issues/issues/1725

Alot of back and forth in the threads but from what I gathered it comes down to the graphic card or webgl.

Hope this helps!

-TechFly 

Please let me know if this helps you find a solution.

Employee
    Employee

@jtrue 

@Anonymous</a>

I am away for the weekend but wish you luck. I will check back when I return to see how things went. rammsteinium has alot of great resources and experience and hope that we can find  some resolve for this. Have a great weekend everyone!

-TechFly 

New

@TechFly

Well, even if I can resolve the issue on my computer, if the map won't reliably show up on my customer's computers I'd just as soon not have it there at all.

I'm curious why you guys decided to go with Mapbox over Google Maps, though.

Anonymous
    Not applicable

Hi @jtrue,

It's not a perfect solution but until we're able to figure it out, a simple high resolution image of where you are on the map (clue as where to get one... gm's) would suffice for most viewers! 

But I'm wondering if the map does indeed show in your customers computers, just not in yours for some arcane reason? Please have ready an image as proposed (workaround for the moment) but test this theory. 

Beg, borrow another device on another network and check please.

Anonymous
    Not applicable

Hi @jtrue,

think I may know the issue, your graphics card driver needs updating............

This is known to cause issues.....

New

@Anonymous</a>

The map seems to load on every other device/PC I've tried it on. Just not on my office PC. And, no, updating my drivers did not seem to help.

And, again, even if it did, I don' know that all my customer's would have their drivers up to date. So, I don't think having the map on the site is worth it if I don't know for certain that it will load properly.

Employee
    Employee

Hi @jtrue

Thank you for the latest response. Based on your repose about attempting the update I started digging through the developer logs to see if there was any other mention of this from anyone else.

I was able to find that this was addressed in some other situation and it was found to be WebGL for some browsers that for some reason has either been disabled or the browser itself was not updated to support webGL . 

Please use the following guide to enable WebGL fro Chrome, and also update the browser if needed. The latest chrome version is 60.0.3112. Please let me know if this helped resolve the matter. 

As far as moving forward, I know that embedding is something that seems to be in future plans but currently is not available. Once it is, it should allow for custom embeds for google maps and other features. 

Thank you again and hope everyone had a fantastic weekend!

-TechFly

Highlighted
    New

No, updating both my Chrome and Firefox did not seem to help.

Also, I've noticed that the Mapbox map seems to load fine when I'm looking at it on Mapbox's own site. So, I Googled for sites that use Mapbox, and it loaded up on just about all the sites I visited except for the GoCentral built ones.

Employee
    Employee

HI @jtrue

That is a very interesting piece of information, thank you for the updates. 

I want to take a moment to recap.

• We have confirmed the you can resolve the mapbox when outside of the office on your site as well as my test site.
    • You have updated the webGL for the browsers and have updated the drivers on your graphics card. 
    • You are able to view the mapbox for sites that are not on GoCentral that also use MapBox. 

Please let me know if any of the above is incorrect. 

So based on we've gathered so far I try a few different ways to try to reproduce the scenario and I was able to finally find a situation to where the MapBox did not load. This only occurred when I accessed the site through a proxy network. I was able to verify this through 2 separate proxied networks.

I did some digging and found this site which explains how to check if you are on a proxy or VPN network. Seems to work but have only tried it a handful of times. You may want to verify with who ever is the network administrator for the office. 

How do I check if I'm using a VPN or proxy service?

https://support.myrepublic.com.sg/hc/en-us/articles/202899654-How-do-I-check-if-I-m-using-a-VPN-or-p...

Please let me know what the results are. Thank you!

-TechFly 

New

I can access the Mapbox on other computers and devices on my network, but my computer specifically has issues. And it only has issues in Chrome, Firefox, and Opera, but loads in IE and Edge fine.

I'll contact my network admin about whether we're using a proxy.

New

It doesn't look like I'm behind any sort of proxy.

Employee
    Employee

Hi @jtrue

Thank you for the update. So seems we've eliminated everything besides the one device itself. Any chance we could get some info about what type of machine it is.

A quick and easy way to get this info is using the following method:

1. Press WINDOWS key + R (This will open a run prompt)

2. Type into the prompt dxdiag

3. Press enter 

4. In some cases it will ask you if you would like to check the driver signing, select no. 

5. Under the system tab you will see the system information.

Below is an example of what the results will look like:

dxdiag.png

I look forward to your response. Thanks!

-TechFly 

Anonymous
    Not applicable

Hi @TechFly,

i commend your perseverance in this @TechFly but have a sneaking suspicion my suggestion to update drivers was on the right track........ I suspect a problem with the system too. 

But your determination to get to the bottom of it deserves a big thank you 😊 

Employee
    Employee

HI @Anonymous</a>

Thank you Smiley Happy 

Definitely seems to be something on that specific device from all the troubleshooting  @jtrue has helped with. Would like to get to the bottom of it if possible just in case this becomes a bigger issue in the future we can atleast see what would trigger it. I am really hoping the devs eventually add an embed box so everyone can use their choice of forms, maps and so forth. 

Thanks again rammsteinium!

-TechFly

New

It's specifically this computer which was set up less than a month ago.

Employee
    Employee

HI @jtrue

Thank you for posting the results. I started researching each component to ensure that the system is compatible and I also looked up the machine itself that your provided a link for. I also did some more research on the MapBox forums and so far have found information that may help but will need to test these when I am away from the office as some of the changes will be to the graphic properties which I don't have admin permission to when in office. 

One thing I will be looking at is the Hardware acceleration in the graphic properties. Most machines have this on by default but if the machine was provisioned afterwards this may have been disabled and from what I was reading would cause some browsers not to display MapBox, where as IE would not be affected. 

If you would like to have a look at this setting to see if it is enable to see if this resolves the issue I believe the steps should be similar to the following:

1. Choose Start > Control Panel.
    2. Double click Personalization and select Display Settings.
    3. Click Advanced Settings.
    4. Click Change Settings on the Troubleshooting tab.
    5. Move the Hardware Acceleration slider to Enable
    6. Click Apply and then click OK to accept the new setting and close the dialog box.
    7. Click OK to close the Display Properties dialog box.
    8. Restart Windows.

I will repost as soon as I have some further information. 

Best Wishes!

-TechFly

New

I don't seem to have an "Advanced Settings" in the Display Settings. It looks like that may have been taken out in a recent update to Windows. However, digging around in my NIVIDIA control panel, it was set to "let the 3D application decide". Fiddling around with that did not seem to change anything.

After that I dug around in Chrome's settings and disabled using hardware acceleration, and now the map shows up for me.

Obviously, that's not our "solution". But, it does tell us that the hardware acceleration is somehow our issue.

Employee
    Employee

Hi @jtrue

Thanks for posting your findings. Over the weekend I wanted to try this on my desktop over the weekend as my advanced settings are also managed by the graphic chipset rather than the Windows Display settings itself but wasn't able to due to my Power Supply Unit completely going out on me, so now I am working on just getting it up and running again.

However, when I cam back to the office I did also start changing the hardware acceleration options in my chrome browsers, but seemed to display the map regardless if the setting was on or off.

My guess is that it was a mix between the graphic display settings of Nvidia graphic controls and the setting of the browser itself.  Combined, making a unique issue. If I ever find the exact mix of events to duplicate this 100 percent I will be sure to post. 

Thank you again jtrue for taking the time and really digging into the issue! Happy to hear that you have found the solution for that device.

Best Wishes!

-TechFly

New

No problem. I would really like to see this issue fixed as well.