• Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Highlighted

"This site can’t be reached" error.

My website (host name lunsfordfamilyonline.com) is not accessible, I get message saying "This site can't be reached". I'm also not able to open FileManager or FTP into my site and phpMyAdmin is not allowing me to log in to MySQL database. Any help would be appreciated to restore my access to everything.

12 REPLIES 12
    Helper III
    Helper III

Re: "This site can’t be reached" error.

Is this a brand new site, or an existing site that has been up for a while?

If it's a brand new site, chances are that the site's domain name just hasn't propagated through DNS yet.  If it's a site that's been around for a while, there may be an issue with your account or DNS settings.  Right now, if I try going to your site, I get a page that the site is coming soon - not an error that the site couldn't be reached.  

Thanks for the reply. I've had this site running for years, it's not new.   The pages I'm trying to access reside one level in, under the lffp directory.   So the URL that's not responding is lunsfordfamilyonline.com/lffp/

Helper III
    Helper III

Ok - I have a better idea of what might be going on now.  That site actually comes up properly for me.

It is definitely seeming like a name resolution issue to me, unless you remember ever setting up IP blocking, in which case that could be an issue.

I'm not sure what your level of knowledge is, so if you don't know how to do anything I have recommended, don't be afraid to ask.

What IP address do you get if you ping lunsfordfamilyonline.com?  If you know how to get to the command prompt (or Terminal on Mac or Linux), just type in "ping lunsfordfamilyonline.com" (without the quotes.  You should get a bunch of information back, including an IP address.  The one that comes back for me is 208.109.181.63.  If you see a different address, that's likely the issue.

If you get the same address, which hosting type to you have?  Do you have access to cPanel or anything?

I get these results when I ping lunsfordfamilyonline.com Pinging lunsfordfamilyonline.com [208.109.181.63] with 32 bytes of data: Request timed out. Request timed out. Request timed out. Request timed out. Ping statistics for 208.109.181.63: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss), The site is hosted on Linux. I do not have access to cPanel.
    Helper III
    Helper III

Well, it seems that you are getting the correct IP address back, although the fact that your pings are timing out could be a concern.

If you are behind a corporate firewall, or you have your firewall set up to block ICMP packets, it's probably nothing to worry about.  On the other hand, it could be indicative of a problem.  It may end up being an issue unrelated to your server, but that may be more difficult to diagnose.

If you're not behind a firewall that prevents you from pinging outside of your network, it might be useful to perform a traceroute to determine at what point in the connection the packets are being dropped.  To do this, go to a command prompt again and type in "tracert lunsfordfamilyonline.com" and hit enter.  If you are on Mac or Linux, replace "tracert" with "traceroute"

If the packets are being lost at the very last step in the trace, it may be an issue with the server not responding to your IP.  If that is the case, you may have to call in to support so they can investigate.

If it's happening someplace else, it may be a problem with your ISP, or any other step along the route.  If that's the case, you may just have to wait for the situation to resolve itself.

Again, thanks for taking the time to reply to my post, it's much appreciated.

I'm working from my home network. Definitely seems to be related to my network somehow, because I can't get to the site from ANY of the devices connected to the network. But when get off the network by disabling wireless on my cell phone and try with it, the site resolves as expected.

So... I did a trace on lunsfordfamilyonline.com and it goes through some initial Frontier touch points, but then times out when it reaches  ip.secureserver.net (184.168.1.134)

I've rebooted my router and done an ipconfig /flushdns.   I even tried with my antivirus disabled.  Nothing seems to have resolved the issue.   Any additional thoughts?  Or like you said before, maybe just wait and see if time resolves the issue somehow...

Helper III
    Helper III
    Solution

When I perform a traceroute, it times out at the same step for me, so it sounds like things on your end are fine.  This is a tough one.

The way things look to me is that it is one of two different things, both of which are something you will probably need to contact GoDaddy to resolve.  It sounds to me that there is some IP Blocking going on with your site, whether it was inadvertently activated by you, or by someone else.  There could also be some filtering going on in GoDaddy's network somewhere.  Unfortunately, in either case, it's probably something that they need to fix.

There is another possibility (perhaps a small one) that if you can gain access to cPanel from outside your network that you can review the IP Blocking settings for your site.  This may help you fix it.  If not, I'm afraid there may not be much else you can do.

I really hope you can get this resolved quickly!  If for some reason you can't, you can always see if your ISP will give you a different IP address, although if they're anything like my ISP, they probably won't know how to do that.

This all occurred last night while I was doing some coding and doing A LOT of FTP'ing of files back and forth.  I do think I probably triggered the issue, and my IP address may indeed be blocked now.   I will reach out to them and see if it can be un-blocked.

hello my site www.itechyworld.com also show this 

This site can’t be reached

What is this problem three days ago I buy a domain from this website, and the domain is not active till now? I'm using Hostgator Hosting changed nameservers and ip too.

https://ispeedbiz.com/

my site also show this error

New

This seems to be the exact same issue I am having with my site. I performed a Nmap scan of my site and found port 21 open, so was doing some FTP file transfers as well as used some code I manually placed from Google AdSense and now my IP is blocked. If I connect to a proxy I can get to the site with no problems, however, my main way to access my site and the internet, in general, is through the hotspot on my phone which seems to be what is blocked. I can not get to my site on my phone or hotspot connected device - unless I am also connected to my VPN. I can ping the site as well as traceroute with no issues (the ping replies and the traceroute makes it) I just can not get the site through my normal network connection. I spent the last hour on the phone with GoDaddy support only to figure out that they have no clue what is really going on because they cannot get the same results - because they are not connected to my network. I finally took some screenshots with explanations of them and sent them into the supervisor that was on duty and he said he would speak with the advanced team but it really sounds like either the cloud-based firewall or Intrusion Detection/Prevention System is blocking my IP. Guess my next move is to hopefully wait it out and see what comes of this annoyance.