Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Highlighted
    Super User III
    Super User III

Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Hello Community!

I love helping people correct their website issues. If I can help someone with a simple problem, solve it, and get them back on the road to focusing on their business, I get really excited. I love seeing people succeed.

That being said, when you ask for help, there are some Do's and Don'ts you should probably follow to get a better resolution.

DO:

• Remember that most people here helping you are volunteers. We don't get paid. We're not GoDaddy employees. We do this because we want to do it and we like to help people.

DON'T:

• Assume we're simple-minded "yes" people that agree with everything GoDaddy says, does, or sells. We have our own opinions

DO:

• Be courteous when asking for help.

DON'T:

• Tell us in your post to resolve your issue ASAP or be rude to us. That's a really good way for us to just ignore your post. There's no reason to be rude or demanding. (Venting is okay. We understand that. It can be frustrating sometimes.)

DO:

• Give us as much information as possible to help you. Refer to this thread for help with that.

DON'T:

• Say my website is broke, help me, and then give us nothing to go on. 

DO:

• Listen to the advice you're given and at least try it in good faith, following the steps we provide. The reason GoDaddy trusts us to help with your issue is because we know how their infrastructure and products work. We've been doing this a while and have a ton of real world experience.

DON'T:

• Insult or attack the person trying to help you because you don't like what they're telling you. Remember, you came to us for advice and help, not the other way around. My site hosted on GoDaddy works great because I know what I'm doing.

DO:

• Show your appreciation by hitting that Kudos button.

DON'T:

• Just take the solution and run. Thank you is the least you can do for saving you hundreds of dollars on developers and hours of wasted troubleshooting time.

DO:

• Use the search feature in the community. I can almost promise you that your issue has been seen before and corrected. It'll save you a ton of time.

DON'T:

• There's not really a don't here. Just use the search feature. 

DO:

• Bring us any issues which involve the website or product and it's functionality.

DON'T:

• Bring us account related issues. We can't refund anything. We can't access your account. We don't have access to GoDaddy's internal systems. You need to call support or contact them via live chat.

That's all I can think of for right now. I think I speak for most of the volunteers on this board that we want you to have the best experience possible and we want you to succeed. So, if you work with us and we show each other mutual respect, we can probably get your issue solved and you moving on with your life. 

I hope this is helpful. Thanks for reading!

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I drink and I know things. Especially about websites and web hosting.
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

1 REPLY 1
    Super User III Super User III
    Super User III

Re: Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Don't:

Say "I've tried everything what do I do now..."

Do:

Tell us what all you have tried and which products you're using.

Don't:

Take over someone else's question to say it's unrelated to the problem you're having.

Do:

Look for posts that are related to your problem or start a new one.

Don't:

Just post "I have the same problem" for a question that's already been answered.

Do:

Try the proposed solution first and let us know if it does or does not work for you.

(if you're unsure about something just ask, the key is details)