Skip to main content
Help Center
The GoDaddy Community will undergo maintenance starting on Tuesday, August 3rd at 3pm PST / 6pm EST. Learn more
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Best way to install second site (that will eventually replace first site, keeping current domain)

Looking for the best course of action...my client currently has an HTML site (with SSL). I have been tasked to redesign the site, and I'm planning to use Drupal. What's the best way to install Drupal as a second site (so I can build it and hopefully preview to the client) with the intention of eventually replacing the current HTML site? Obviously I don't have the need for a second "Addon" domain; would it be best to install under a subdomain of the current site (for example, "newsite.mydomainname.com")? What would be the best way to switch from the HTML site over to the new Drupal site? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PL281
Super User IV

@eleventhhour11 

I would take the subdomain approach as your are describing. As I am a WordPress and not a drupal person I'm not sure what is involved with swapping a domain on Drupal site after it's been built out, but in theory all you should have to do is move the files to the root of the cPanel and updating the domain in the database / config file for Drupal when you are ready to go live.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
PL281
Super User IV

@eleventhhour11 

I would take the subdomain approach as your are describing. As I am a WordPress and not a drupal person I'm not sure what is involved with swapping a domain on Drupal site after it's been built out, but in theory all you should have to do is move the files to the root of the cPanel and updating the domain in the database / config file for Drupal when you are ready to go live.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post