cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Can't create a MYSQL database in Cpanel

There seems to be something terribly wrong with Godaddy, for some reason i can't create a MYSQL database in Cpanel, neither can i create a database user. Its keeps saying "name already exist" when the name doesn't. I've logged out - logged back in, cleared cache, refreshed, changed browser and yet its still the same error. Whatever name i enter both for the database/user it keeps returning the error "name already exist" but the names have tried with doesn't exist. I managed to contact support and they're still yet to respond. Its quite frustrating as i have a very urgent work to deliver which requires me to manually create a database.

16 REPLIES 16
Helper VI
Helper VI

Re: Can't create a MYSQL database in Cpanel

Hello @iamsukafia

Unfortunately, your problem is not something that can be solved here (on the forum).

Someone have to access your account in order to investigate what's wrong with it, but no one from the forum can do that.

You should contact (by phone or chat) a customer support representative in order to investigate the problem from your account.
https://uk.godaddy.com/contact-us.aspx

Good luck.

Smiley Happy

***Signature: -> Do not assume anything! If you want help, explain your problem. If my post helped you, give it a Kudo. If you have the solution, mark the topic as Solved.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Solution

Ahhhh,

You are in luck, I had the very same problem. Put simply, on shared hosting if you use a database name (does not apply to tables thankfully) that someone else on the same server is using..... you're out of luck! You have to pick a database name that is totally unique (unless you go for a VPS). So; try this as an experiment, just pick some random letters (xxLlms for example, don't pick this because some 'funny' person probably just created a database with it, just for a laugh) and see if it works. Or add a some numbers to the name.

It works, but until you know it, you end up pulling hair out!!

enjoy :-)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi again,

Just to add, I don't know why this behaviour is what it is, or even if it should be like that. But me and support worked it out between us the other day!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also I ended up creating a database, user, everything from my command line. Must admit, I have less hair today Grrrrrrrrrrr!!! LOL Smiley Happy

Helper VI
Helper VI

I'm sorry @Anonymous</a> but regarding this:

@rammsteinium wrote:

...You have to pick a database name that is totally unique....

keep in mind that @iamsukafia said

@iamsukafia wrote:

... Whatever name i enter both for the database/user it keeps returning the error "name already exist"...

Also you might want to know that you can use the "edit" function on your posts if you forgot to say something Smiley Happy

***Signature: -> Do not assume anything! If you want help, explain your problem. If my post helped you, give it a Kudo. If you have the solution, mark the topic as Solved.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Adrian8,

Yes I am aware of what the problem, but it worked!

I was going nuts, and round and round in circles.

So I phoned up support and we figured it out!

I know about the edit, just my style I guess.

Smiley Happy

Helper VI
Helper VI

Hi @Anonymous</a>

I also have encountered the problem (a few years ago) on one of my shared hosting accounts but I was able to solve it by choosing a different name but when @iamsukafia mentioned that he did try different names for the database it convinced me that it's a problem that only GoDaddy employees can solve.

Smiley Happy

@Anonymous</a> it seems you're right, i did try with names i thought were quite unique though. I tried again with more unique names and have been able to create two database and users so far. However, it seems there are issues with the database, I'm getting "Field 'suspend' doesn't have a default value" when i try to signup on the site (A PHP site). I'm sure its Godaddy since i don't have the error on the same script on another server. I replicated the steps on another server and all is working just fine, but have tried like 3 times here on Godaddy and its not working. Too bad i had already purchased a domain and hosting for the project here on Godaddy.

@Adrian8 i did try with names i thought were unique, believe me something is terribly wrong with Godaddy, have been hosting sites for quite a couple of years and have never had this sort of issue.

Thanks for all your help guys, i really appreciate. 

Something is terribly wrong with Godaddy servers. Its quite frustrating. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @iamsukafia,

Your welcome. I don't know why it should even be that you have to choose whacky database names, it sounds like (though unlikely) that all, everyones, databases are all on one big huge database for that particular server that large numbers of us will share. It's probably a MySQL thing (notice I didn't use the word 'problem' because it isn't). It's like having MySQL on your home computer and trying to create two identical databases, not going to happen. Or that's how it feels and behaves. A bit like CREATE DATABASE IF NONE EXIST, query, hence flash up of warning.

Can't help with other problem though this following may help '' is a lot different than ' '. No data is different than a space, which is a character. But you already knew that Smiley Happy

Thanks @Anonymous</a>, you've been quite helpful. Godaddy support sure  sucks! Have been able to sort out all the issues though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Your welcome @iamsukafia,

Glad to have helped Smiley Happy

After creating databases with the web interface then creating accounts, for whatever the reason rights are not populated on schema or tables.  And, after each database is created without rights you cannot use the same schema  name again due to shared hosting I'm told?  Anyways, the solution that I found for your code to successfully have rights to update and create records through custom applications is using the PHP Database wizard to create a new database, and, it will ask for name, username and give option for all privileges needed to execute web database connections with full rights to update and insert. Then all code works to MySQL without issue.  After running out of names and recompiling code several times,  This is the only way I could get my code to work...Use the PHP database creation wizard on the main cpanel screen.  Do Not use the manual database creation screens.  After database is created then go into MyphpAdmin and create tables either by script or manual. Also, after you use the PHP wizard your database is manageable through MySQL workbench too....

thank you so much, you saved my hours .

Well explained and make sense for shared hosting.

I added mywebsite name in from of my db and it is working now.

hello dear when you created database name then the its search overall so you can change your database name.

Can you please tell where i can find cPanel Dashboard?

thank you