Skip to main content
Help Center
The GoDaddy Community will undergo maintenance starting on Wednesday, August 4th at 3pm PST / 6pm EST. Learn more
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
larrydb
New

Can't find new dedicated IP address for a cPanel application

Hi. I have two applications in my cPanel account. Up to a few weeks ago, each of them had its own IP address. One of these was the dedicated IP address of the cPanel account, and was associated with the primary domain name, hosted at GoDaddy. The second application was accessed through a completely different domain, not hosted at GoDaddy; that domain resolved to the (different) IP address of the second application.

A couple of weeks ago I got a note from GoDaddy saying that they've migrated my hosting account to a new server, that its dedicated IP address would change, and that I didn't have to do anything if my domain name was in the same account as the hosting. Everything worked fine for the first application.

But it didn't work for the other application. Its domain still resolves to the old second IP (since that domain isn't hosted at GoDaddy and I didn't change it) but that IP no longer connects to the second app at my hosting account. Presumably the IP address for the second app also changed. But I can't find it, and I need it so that I can change the DNS at the non-GoDaddy server.

Calling GoDaddy didn't help. I was told that a single hosting account can have only a single dedicated IP address *and that it's always been this way*. But that's definitely not the case: Up to a month ago I had two dedicated IP addresses for the two applications at the same cPanel account. So I cannot accept this explanation unless I hear it from someone who understands that it used to be different, and who can tell me how to get the old behavior at no extra cost. (I'm sure I can buy a second account and transfer an application, but I won't do that.)

Any help greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PL281
Super User IV

@larrydb 

I'm an end user like you so I'm making some guesses here....

Did you previously have a cPanel account or was it a Linux hosting account. If it was like the screen capture below this was a Linux Hosting Account with GoDaddy's in house dashboard.

To the best of my knowledge - each cPanel account can only have one IP address assigned to (Dedicated or not)

The only thing I could think of is the older accounts allowed for multiple IP Addresses whereas cPanel accounts do not.

Hosting.PNG

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
PL281
Super User IV

@larrydb 

I'm an end user like you so I'm making some guesses here....

Did you previously have a cPanel account or was it a Linux hosting account. If it was like the screen capture below this was a Linux Hosting Account with GoDaddy's in house dashboard.

To the best of my knowledge - each cPanel account can only have one IP address assigned to (Dedicated or not)

The only thing I could think of is the older accounts allowed for multiple IP Addresses whereas cPanel accounts do not.

Hosting.PNG

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

JesseW
Community Manager

Hi @larrydb. Thanks for posting. Our hosting plans will typically only have a dedicated IP address for one of two reasons:

1. An SSL Certificate is installed on the primary domain for the hosting account
  2. A dedicated IP address that was purchased as an upgrade

In both cases, the dedicated (or static) IP address can be used to access any site on the account. However, in the case of having an SSL Certificate, you would only be able to use HTTPS with the domain covered by the SSL Certificate.

It is not possible to have more than one dedicated IP address on any of our shared hosting plans. However, in some cases, your shared IP address can still be used to access websites on the hosting plan. My guess is that this was the case for your two applications. 

My advice would be to simply use the dedicated IP address for both of your websites. You should be able to use it to get to both sites so long as they are both on the same account. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give likes.