cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

Change hosting account from Plesk to CPanel

Hi all, my windows PC gave up the ghost and so I purchased an iMac. Now I have a big problem. All my webs at Godaddy are on a Plesk platform. If I change over to the cPanel, what happens to my content? Any advice?

Note, I do no longer have a local program or back-up on my puter.

5 REPLIES 5
Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Re: Change hosting account from Plesk to CPanel

Hi @Rolf1. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! To clarify, you wouldn't need to change to a cPanel account just because you're using a Mac. The operating system of your hosting server and your ability to use it are not dependent on the operating system of your computer. However, if you want to change to cPanel, you may do so. 

Unfortunately, there isn't an automatic way to move from Plesk to cPanel. You would need to purchase and set up the new cPanel account, move your website content and domains to it, then close the Plesk plan. You shouldn't lose any content if you do it correctly though. You may find this article helpful if you decide to make the switch. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
New

I followed 'this link' to file Zilla. Yet on my File Zilla it is not the same as in the sample this showing. My version has a lot of names on the local site but no My Documents or Hard-Drive as showing on your sample. Where do I go from here?

TIA

Rolf

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Rolf1. You the first part of the process is backing up your website, which would usually involve downloading the site to your computer. You can save the files wherever you like. Creating a new folder for it on your desktop and saving it there would probably be the easiest, but you can use any location. Then, when you go to upload your files, you would navigate to the same location you downloaded the files to and upload them from there to the new account. I hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
Highlighted
New

just found out from another source that you have to create a 'htaccess' file for me to be able to download using File Zilla

Community Manager
Community Manager

@Rolf1 I'm not sure where you got that information, but I've never heard that before and it goes against everything I know about .htaccess files and FTP. Htaccess files are specific to Apache web servers. They are not supported on our Plesk accounts because they use Windows-based web servers instead of Apache. Also, unless you have a very strange setup on your Mac, you wouldn't need a .htaccess file there either. If you're having trouble, you can always connect with our customer care team so they try to assist you in real time.