cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Database removing users

I've been hosting my website for a while now, and about a week ago I started having an issue where either an issue with cpanel or an issue with mysql was resulting in the database removing users on its own from the database.

Since my entire website is built with database connection in mind it causes my site to shut down every few hours.

Anyone else have this issue and/or know how to fix it?

14 REPLIES 14

Mysql database user unlinked from database

Mysql database connection intermittently fails causing website to be unusable. Further investigation from cPanel -> Mysql Databases -> Current databases shows that this happens when the 'Privileged Users' column is empty for the database used by the website. Solution found is to simply add the database user to the database via 'Add User to Database'. After adding the database user, website is functional again. However, after some unknown reason overtime, the website is down again due to the fact that the database user is again re-emptied/unlink from our database.

This is frustrating. Please advice.

Helper V

Re: Database removing users

@Synricc wrote:

I've been hosting my website for a while now, and about a week ago I started having an issue where either an issue with cpanel or an issue with mysql was resulting in the database removing users on its own from the database.

Since my entire website is built with database connection in mind it causes my site to shut down every few hours.

@Synricc wrote:

@Synricc

First thing I would do is change the databases password..... then see if this continue.

If it continued go to putty in root and made sure everything was secure..... if this still happened go through the code.... but this is just me Smiley Happy

Mrsroadrunner Photography

Checked the code, changed the password, even removed the DROP permission for the user on the database, and it still happened this morning. Not sure what to do about this.

Just noting for reference. 

https://www.godaddy.com/community/cPanel-Hosting/Mysql-database-user-unlinked-from-database/td-p/655...

This is the same problem, so it's not just me.

Helper V

@Synricc wrote:

Just noting for reference. 

https://www.godaddy.com/community/cPanel-Hosting/Mysql-database-user-unlinked-from-database/td-p/655...

This is the same problem, so it's not just me.

@Synricc

Are you on your own server??

If not contact godaddy!! This is strange behavior .......

Mrsroadrunner Photography
Helper II

Database will not delete users because it feels so.

What software (script) are you using?

Is there anyone in your site that has authority to remove or delete users?

What kind of hosting do you have?

I am facing same issue for last week on godday , My database user, that I use to connect mysql database get removed as " Privileged user" on database,  after 3-4 hours. I have to go back to " Add user to database"  in cpanel "MySQL Database" option and select the user and database , then assign permissions again to that user. Until then , my website doesn't allow any user to login or work on it.

I am using godaddy's basic hosting plan on linux.

when setup users database.png

by PRIVILEGES  not allow ALTER ,DROP , DELETE  this will go away but this done after your update this wont work with sites that dates  a lot

Re: Mysql database user unlinked from database

set user uncheck drop it should stop

"Is there anyone in your site that has authority to remove or delete users?"

Yes, they're called GoDaddy. I noticed the same pattern myself the last two days. At first I thought there may have been a security issue in the script I wrote, then I saw this forum and people having the exact same problem in the same time-frame (every few hours). I thought it might have been a bug (which I doubt because my low traffic site isn't having the same problem, whereas my high traffic site is constantly being disabled at the SQL level and it's not even real traffic yet, just Google crawling) it definitely appears to be done deliberately, and from another comment I read it seems to be done so to entice people to upgrade to better packages with Godaddy - something I won't be doing if the problem continues

This is not acceptable solution on godaddy.

Same problem on my business user website running godaddy shared host.

Its impacting business operation, due to automatically revoking database privileges to user that is used in website scripting.

Any solution to prevent this re-occurring issue?

--

MSReddy

@independentguru wrote:

"Is there anyone in your site that has authority to remove or delete users?"

Yes, they're called GoDaddy. I noticed the same pattern myself the last two days. At first I thought there may have been a security issue in the script I wrote, then I saw this forum and people having the exact same problem in the same time-frame (every few hours). I thought it might have been a bug (which I doubt because my low traffic site isn't having the same problem, whereas my high traffic site is constantly being disabled at the SQL level and it's not even real traffic yet, just Google crawling) it definitely appears to be done deliberately, and from another comment I read it seems to be done so to entice people to upgrade to better packages with Godaddy - something I won't be doing if the problem continues

New

It did this to me too and I discovered it was because my db had 3.2GB of data in it. Godaddy only allows up to 1GB for shared plans. I had to upgrade to a VPS plan to solve the problem.

Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Hi Everyone. This is a fairly old thread, which is unfortunately unsolved. I wanted to provide some clarification on what is normal or abnormal.

First, in talking about users being dropped, it's important to distinguish between the users in cPanel and users in the database (for the website). For example, a WordPress site might have users in the database tables that could be added or dropped by the application. However, it wouldn't have the ability to add/remove database users in cPanel. If the problem is with the application users being dropped the suggestion of changing the "drop" permissions for the users would be a viable answer, but it wouldn't affect how cPanel database users are added or removed. 

Second, it's important to distinguish between the database user being removed from cPanel and simply removed from the database. The former would mean that the username would no longer show up within cPanel. The later would mean that the user is still in cPanel, but no longer has access to the database.

Our hosting environment may remove a user from a database if the database is in violation of our hosting agreement, as @ycubed mentioned above. However, you shouldn't ever see a situation where the database user is removed from cPanel. So essentially, if:

• An application user is removed from database tables, check your script or update the cPanel database user permissions. 
  • A database user is removed from a database, look for an email from us indicating there is a problem with the database (in connection with our policies) and address the problem as directed. If you're not seeing an email, please contact support. 
  • A database user is removed from cPanel all together, please change your cPanel password. If it happens again, check with our support team as this should not be happening as a function of our system. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.