cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

Deploying Website Using FastCGI

I have a website that's currently set up at Resource Level 1 (economy, shared server).

My deployment will include server side code written in Perl using the Dancer2 framework. I currently have a test site deployed using CGI (my app.psgi is invoked by dispatch.cgi using CGI). The deployment is working fine.

I'd like to re-deploy the site using FastCGI, but I've had a hard time finding information about how to do this on a GoDaddy server. I've made the basic config changes using .htaccess, and I've refactored my code, but I suspect there's more that I need to take into account.

Can anyone provide guidance on how a project, specifically using Perl and the Dancer2 framework, is to be deployed on a shared GoDaddy server using FastCGI?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Solution

Re: Deploying Website Using FastCGI

Thank you @CG

I talked to Support about this issue last night. They also pointed me to one of the links you shared (which I had discovered over the weekend - this link seems to indicate what I'm trying to do is possible).

However, I was informed that GoDaddy's shared servers (CPanel Hosting plans) do *not* support FastCGI. If you need Fast CGI, you have to upgrade to a VPS.

So apparently the best deployment option I have for my current hosting plan is CGI. The question I'm left with is, is CGI fast enough to support my needs? Alas, this is not a question for the forums.

Thanks much for your help. I'm going to mark this solved.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Hey @MySilmaril

Welcome to the community! Smiley Happy

Afraid I don't have any specific documentation on Dancer2 framework, but perhaps our help articles on the paths to use to upload PERL files and the path to the PERL interpreter and changing file extension handlers can help lead you in the right direction. FastCGI should automatically be enabled on our cPanel hosting plans. 

Let us know if you make any further progress. In the meantime, perhaps one of our knowledgeable scripting members can offer more insight to assist?

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support
Highlighted
Solution

Thank you @CG

I talked to Support about this issue last night. They also pointed me to one of the links you shared (which I had discovered over the weekend - this link seems to indicate what I'm trying to do is possible).

However, I was informed that GoDaddy's shared servers (CPanel Hosting plans) do *not* support FastCGI. If you need Fast CGI, you have to upgrade to a VPS.

So apparently the best deployment option I have for my current hosting plan is CGI. The question I'm left with is, is CGI fast enough to support my needs? Alas, this is not a question for the forums.

Thanks much for your help. I'm going to mark this solved.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Hey @MySilmaril,

I do apologize for the miscommunication, but FastCGI is available on all cPanel shared hosting plans and is enabled by default as i previously mentioned. I noticed you got similar mis-information on your other discussion.

I'm going to pass this along as feedback to the departments who need to review this to be sure our agents are properly informing you and others in the correct details. 

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support
Highlighted

Hi CG, I too am using FastCGI on another cpanel host, Im seeking to switch to godaddy to host. Can I hire godaddy to do the transfer and make any script fixes to ensure these perl scripts and the newer mysql version work once transferred? The main concern is the ability to make any script fixes.

Thank you.

Highlighted

Extending FastCGI Timeout on Windows shared hosting

I have PHP that calls out using a CURL command to send emails through an 3rd party email service provider.  This is running on a GoDaddy shared Windows IIS server. 

My users are repeatedly seeing the following intermittent error when using this part of my PHP application that sends emails through a 3rd party:

"The FastCGI process exceeded configured activity timeout"

I read here that the solution is to access the FastCGI settings and modify the timeout via the applicationHost.config file. I cannot see this file in file manager in my root directory.

How do I edit the file, or otherwise increase the FastCGI timeout?

I read from the above link that the solution is to change the file to include timeout settings like so, how do I do this for my GoDaddy Windows shared hosting?

<fastCgi>
<application fullPath="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Parallels\\Plesk\\admin\\bin\\php-cgi.exe" maxInstances="12" idleTimeout="1800" activityTimeout="3600" />
<application fullPath="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Parallels\\Plesk\\Additional\\PleskPHP54\\php-cgi.exe" activityTimeout="3600"/>
<application fullPath="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Parallels\\Plesk\\Additional\\PleskPHP5\\php-cgi.exe" activityTimeout="3600"/>
<application fullPath="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Parallels\\Plesk\\Additional\\PHP\\php.exe" activityTimeout="3600"/>
<application fullPath="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Parallels\\Plesk\\Additional\\PleskPHP53\\php-cgi.exe" activityTimeout="3600"/>
</fastCgi>