cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Helper I

Disabling /cpanel & /webmail URI for Shared Hosting

I'm currently in the topic of securing my website at a production server level.

I'm able to get dirty when it comes to linux server administration, however appreciate the "lite" nature of shared hosting when it comes to daily upkeep.

Specifically I'm requesting the feature of a cpanel or tech support option to disable the redirect to cpanel login from the uri's /cpanel & /webmail, as I would like to only be able to access cpanel from mya.godaddy.com.

This is possible with a vps however, again I'd rather deal with the uri's being active in shared than have to deal with the daily upkeep of a vps.

Current Tech Details:
- the uri's /cpanel & /webmail are part of the shared hosting configuration backend
- the uri's /cpanel & /webmail cannot be disabled by deleting records in the dns file
- the uri's /cpanel & /webmail cannot be disabled by creating directories with the same name i.e. /public_html/cpanel & /public_html/webmail

7 REPLIES 7
Employee
Employee
Solution

Re: Disabling /cpanel & /webmail URI for Shared Hosting

Hey @adampro

That isn't possible for shared hosting unfortunately as it is a server wide configuration but what you might be able to do as a work around is setup 2 folders on the hosting account with /webmail and /cpanel with an index.html in them and create redirects which could just point back to the main site or wherever you want to send them for that matter. 

I haven't tried this yet on my own personal sites, so if you do try it let us know if it works. And if anyone else has any other suggestions feel free to post them. 🙂 

Helper I

I haven't tried that, I will try and update back.

Helper I

no change, continues to redirect.

going to /cpanel redirects
going to /cpanel/index.php works however.

Helper I

for /webmail:

both redirect

- /webmail

- /webmail/index.php

Employee
Employee

@adampro

Thanks for trying that. I will try to see if I can muster anything up on my account to get something working when I get back to a computer although I think we might be out of luck on a shared hosting platform 😞 

@ADK where to create the /cpanel and /webmail folders.

@ADK

Has there been an answer to this? I am trying to disable these too. I tried all the methods mentioned in the thread, plus using .htaccess for 301 redirects.

Thanks,