cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted
New

Does the IP address change?

I'm using cPanel hosting, but I'm not using a registered domain. Instead, I'm using a separate dns provider with an "A" record for the IP address that shows in cPanel.

This is working just fine for now. I do not have a dedicate IP address, and I don't believe I need one. So my question is if this IP address will ever change? In other words, will I need to ensure the record at my dns provider stays up to date, or is it safe to assume this will continue to work without a dedicated IP?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Does the IP address change?

Hey @rkubes,

The IP address associated with your cPanel account could change (although we try to avoid this when possible) if there is unforeseen issues or required maintenance where a server migration is needed. It doesn't happen too often, but we still advise using the authoritative nameservers for your hosting account so to help avoid downtime as the IP address should automatically update with such events.

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support
New

@CG

I looked to the "DNS Manager" but there is nothing listed on the page.

I don't actually own a domain. Before coming to GoDaddy my website was a subdomain, let's say: MyName.OtherHost.com

I then used a free dynamic DNS server with a CNAME record so: MyName.BetterName.com pointed to MyName.OtherHost.com

I want to keep using MyName.BetterName.com to point to my GoDaddy hosted site; but I don't actually own BetterName.com - it's a public dynamic DNS service.

When I contacted sales before placing my order, I was told that I would be able to do this with the CNAME record. However, since I don't have a MyName.GoDaddy.com, I had to change my dynamic DNS service to an A record using the site's IP address.

This is working for now, but it appears that CNAME is not an option (even though I was told it was), and the only way to keep the IP consistent would be an additional expense for the dedicated IP.

Is this all correct?

Solution

Hey @rkubes,

I think there may have been some confusion during your call with support when inquiring about using CNAME records to point to another site. Generally they work in a situation like the one you described with (MyName.BetterName.com pointed to MyName.OtherHost.com) because your basically creating a record that says this subdomain resolves to another URL.

In the case of pointing via an IP address, this requires an A record where 'MyName' (your subdomain) would be the host record you're pointing towards your hosted IP. So you currently have it setup correctly.

Personally; and I'm sure a few of our other professional members would agree, I would consider registering a domain to have full control over. Using a Dynamic service like the one you've described is good for a temporary testing measure, but in the long run of maintaining stability for your site you'll eventually want to use your own name on the hosting plan instead. In which case, you could then go back to your service to setup a CNAME to point to your newly registered name

on the hosting plan.

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support

In shared hosting, I guess ip address can not be changed. If you buy vps or dedicated server, special ip address can be purchased. You are reading this article for ip address security.
Some web servers have their own internal IP addresses turned on in response to requests made.
As a result of requesting a special HTTP GET request, the target web service can extract the server internal IP address or machine name with "3XX Object Moved" HTTP error message response.
I have prepared a software that controls this security problem. Internal IP Address You can test your own systems by downloading the Disclosure Scanner software here.
Sample Usage and Problem Solving

Let's say your company's IP block is 151.13.117.0/24. Let's try to detect all the web servers serving port 80 from Nmap and find the internal IP addresses of these servers.
$ for ip in `nmap -PN -sT -v -p 80 151.13.117.0/24 | grep Disco | cut -d '' -f6`; do ~ / scanner-http-internal-ip-disclosure.py $ ip; done
Web server internal IP address disclosure
Target: 151.13.117.18:80, Internal IP: 10.0.0.18, Directory: / images)
Target: 151.13.117.63:80, Internal IP: 192.168.0.1, Directory: / aspnet_client)
Target: 151.13.117.62:80, Internal IP: 10.0.0.62, Directory: / aspnet_client)
Target: 151.13.117.210:80, Internal IP: 192.168.1.8, Directory: /)
Target: 151.13.117.28:80, Internal IP: 10.0.0.28, Directory: / images)
The above loop runs the Internal IP Disclosure Scanner for each web server on the 151.13.117.0/24 network.
Troubleshooting
If your web server removes the internal IP address, you can follow the steps below to resolve the problem.
For IIS Web Server
See Microsoft's Internet Information Server returns IP address in the HTTP header article.
For Apache Web Server
* In the Apache configuration, change the value of "ServerName" to be the FQDN of the server (for example: www.sertankolat.com)
Or
* Using the mod_rewrite module, change the 3xx error messages issued by the server
For Nginx Web Server
In the Nginx configuration, change the value of "server_name" to be the FQDN of the server (for example: www.sertankolat.com)