cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

Files increasing automatically from last month..

my File Usage number keeps jumping. It's been fine for years and now all the sudden it's peaking? Seems like there's something fishy going on... Please help to sort out this thing.

4 REPLIES 4
Helper IV
Helper IV

Re: Files increasing automatically from last month..

Are you using wordpress @bharatdev77 ?
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Hey there @bharatdev77,

Thanks for being a part of the community!

If I had to warrant a guess, you have cPanel Linux hosting according to your post. This probably means you have a WordPress site. You also may be using the cPanel email.

It's going to be either (a) a possible malware infection on the WordPress or (b) some hacked your cPanel email.

How does this happen?

With WordPress, it's fairly easy. You most likely forgot to update the platform or a theme/plugin that had a vulnerability that hackers can exploit to compromise your hosting. You should run the site through the free Sucuri site scan to see if it picks anything up.

You'll also want to go to File Manager -> public_html and check the PHP files for base64 coding. This is a SQL injection virus. You would want to use either Website Security to clean it up or research another method to do it yourself.

If it's your email, you most likely clicked on a link or had an insecure password. First thing to do is change all of your passwords (in both cases) and see if you have an abnormal number of emails sent out.

You should also check Disk Usage in cPanel. It can tell you where most of the files on your server are located and can give you a good clue as to where you should look.

Best Regards,

Joe

Check out my site! | My Garage Articles | Portfolio/Resume

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. I DO NOT PROVIDE ANSWERS VIA PM. If you would like personalized help, you can see my pricing on my services page. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!

Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Thanks for looking this post, yes we are using Wordpress setup  with cpanel hosting. We do use cpanel emails.

I today made space available of 1500 K files but after 30 mins automatically files counts increased. I have done  some scanning on setup and public folders but still not getting the exact reason of this.  

Not sure what to apply further.

Thanks

Super User III
Super User III

That honestly sounds like an email compromise. 

• Change all your passwords (GoDaddy, cPanel, all emails, etc.)
  • Have anyone with access to email on the server run a malware scan on their home computer
  • Run a malware scan on your server to determine if it got to any of the website files

The above is really the only way you can go about doing this. Yes, it will cost money. You can try to do it for yourself but you should keep in mind that you're fighting a computer algorithm that has been designed to hide. If you miss one tiny little piece of malicious code out of thousands and thousands of files, then you have the same problem all over again.

I would purchase the Website Security Essentials at the very least. If you're really in a money crunch, you can purchase one month and still get the malware cleaning done. I would highly advise you have at least Website Security Essentials on your domain at all times to detect and eliminate this in the future. Website Security Deluxe will prevent it from happening altogether.

Bottom line, if your site is important to you or your business, then you need to budget in security options. 

Best Regards,

Joe

Check out my site! | My Garage Articles | Portfolio/Resume

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. I DO NOT PROVIDE ANSWERS VIA PM. If you would like personalized help, you can see my pricing on my services page. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!

Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community