cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stacey7
New

How to install cpanel to GD domain without changing DNS (want test site)

I'm adding hosting to an existing domain hosted here. If I click on "Manage," to install Cpanel, does it automatically change the DNS to redirect to GoDaddy. I want to leave the domain pointed where it is for now and build a test site here first before changing the DNS.

6 REPLIES 6
Retired
Not applicable

Hi @stacey7,

if you have hosting here with godaddy then you must have already set up cPanel. The manage button doesn't install cPanel, it.... manages cPanel. 

If as I think you mean, you just have the domain name registered with godaddy, then the manage button you see is to manage your domain settings, such as name servers and the like. You may need this to forward a domain for example. 

And if you wish to build a test site with all the features you will likely need, download xampp or mamp (same thing) and make life easier for yourself 

if unsure still till then please contact support 

https://www.mamp.info/en/

Thanks for your reply. No, I just now purchased hosting for a domain already registered here that is pointing to our live site elsewhere. If I click on "manage" after hosting, it brings up a cpanel set up page. This requires me to select our one-and-only primary domain to link to the hosting account. 

I found in godaddy's wealth of information this warning: "Setting up a cPanel shared hosting account changes your domain name's DNS records. This means your existing website and email addresses might stop working. If you're unsure if this will impact your website, please contact our support department."

Of course, I didn't have ANY trouble getting tons of support people to help when I was PURCHASING hosting, and they all said this could be done easily, but now "chat is offline" for tech support and the phone number says it'll be a 60+ min. wait.  Do you know for sure if the "wizard" will, later in the setup, give me the option to NOT modify the DNS? I want to set up a test site on this hosting before redirecting the domain.

Thank you again kindly for your reply!

oslinux
Helper V

@stacey7 It will only change your DNS if your domain is on the same account as your hosting.

Configuring DNS for Your cPanel Domain

For shared hosting customers with domains in the same account as their hosting, we configure these 
for you automatically. For everyone else, you will need to configure this DNS wherever your domain name is registered.
If it's through us, you can use our DNS manager (more info).

There are 2 ways you can proceed. 1 after adding your Domain go back and change the DNS to the original settings or setup a new domain(Does not have to be yours or exist. This will allow you to setup your cPannel account. you can then go back and change the domain back to your domain.

oslinux
Helper V

@stacey7 It will only change your DNS if your domain is on the same account as your hosting.

Configuring DNS for Your cPanel Domain

For shared hosting customers with domains in the same account as their hosting, we configure these 
for you automatically. For everyone else, you will need to configure this DNS wherever your domain name is registered.
If it's through us, you can use our DNS manager (more info).

There are 2 ways you can proceed. 1 after adding your Domain go back and change the DNS to the original settings or setup a new domain(Does not have to be yours or exist. This will allow you to setup your cPanel account. you can then go back and change the domain back to your domain.

Retired
Not applicable

Hi again @stacey7,

the chat folk are her Arizona office hoursRobot Happy

Thanks! I did get cpanel installed - and wordpress (on regular hosting plan). Do you know how I could access the wp-admin (and site) with a temporary URL instead of the domain - which is successfully pointing elsewhere? I changed the fields directly in the table for WP already using PHPmyAdmin. 

I've tried the IP and the big long url ending with prod.iad2.secureserver.net from the top of my cpanel pages. I can't seem to find just the right combination...

Thanks so much,

Stacey

P.S. I did call during AZ hours...  🙂