cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New

Invalid 'PassengerAppRoot' error when installing Django w/cPanel

I currently have a website running on Godaddy with the "Economy Linux Hosting with cPanel" plan and I want to use Django on the website. I followed the instructions given in this tutorial and also this one but when I try to test it by going to the "[website].com/admin" page, I get a 500 Internal Server Error. When I look at the Error page on cPanel, I see this error every time I try to access that page.

NOTE: Omitted cPanel username and database info.

/home/[cPanel username]/public_html/test/.htaccess: Invalid command 'PassengerAppRoot', perhaps misspelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration

This is what my .htaccess looks like (it's auto-created when I perform the "Setup Python App" process in cPanel).​

# DO NOT REMOVE. CLOUDLINUX PASSENGER CONFIGURATION BEGIN
PassengerAppRoot "/home/[cPanel Username]/myapp"
PassengerBaseURI "/."
PassengerPython "/home/[cPanel Username]/virtualenv/myapp/3.6/bin/python3.6"
# DO NOT REMOVE. CLOUDLINUX PASSENGER CONFIGURATION END

"/home/[cPanel Username]/myapp" is the Django project root folder with manage.py and also passenger_wsgi.py, as seen here.

Here's how I setup Django in the "Setup Python App" page in cPanel.

This is the passenger_wsgi.py it created:

import imp
import os
import sys sys.path.insert(0, os.path.dirname(__file__))
wsgi = imp.load_source('wsgi', 'myapp/wsgi.py')
application = wsgi.application

And also the changes I made to settings.py:

DEBUG = False
ALLOWED_HOSTS = ['*']
DATABASES = { 'default': { 'ENGINE': 'django.db.backends.mysql', 'NAME' : '[name]', 'USER' : '[user]', 'PASSWORD' : '[password]', 'HOST' : '127.0.0.1', 'PORT' : '3306', } }
STATIC_URL = '/static/'
MEDIA_URL = '/media/'
STATICFILES_DIRS = [ BASE_DIR + "/assets", ]
STATIC_ROOT = '/home/[cPanel username]/public_html/static'
MEDIA_ROOT = '/home/[cPanel username]/public_html/media'

I've been trying absolutely everything to get this to work without any progress. Any help would be greatly appreciated.