cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Migrate WordPress from localhost

I have a website in my personal server -localhost- that I want to put online using my WordPress hosting plan in Godaddy, but I see that there are only two options to use that plan:

1. To create a new WordPress site.( which I don't want to)
  2. To migrate, which is what I want to do.

But I can't find an option that allows me to upload files from my local disk. I've tried to create a new WordPress site, and then replace its files with the files I have using SFTP, but it looks like the user I'm getting doesn't have enough permissions to do that.

Please help !! 

5 REPLIES 5
Rockstar II Rockstar II
Rockstar II
Solution

Re: Migrate WordPress from localhost

Hello @jasssjj555,

Moving from a localhost to GoDaddy is simple enough?

For your solution 1. Follow the directions at Moving WordPress Sites to GoDaddy

For your solution 2. Follow the directions at Move your WordPress site automatically

If you have Managed WordPress from GoDaddy there is truly an easy migration otherwise you have to do a bit of work. If local is something you are often planning to do I hope you can get a process in place to make it less stressful. I hope that helps?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

I use DuplicatorPro.  It is the easiest way to do it.

New

I have the same issue.
I've managed to transfer all site associated files and folders from localhost to public_html folder (as advised in the tutorial).
I can see files on the backend, cpanel, but I can't connect to wp-admin.
Please, help me!
what have I missed?

Thank you!

I ran into a number of problems, both trying to use duplicator and doing a manual transfer. I put together the following so I'll have it the next time I need to do this...

Moving Wordpress from LocalHost development site to GoDaddy hosting site

After looking through many examples of how to transfer a Wordpress test site from LocalHost to GoDaddy, I found many helpful hints but also many places where information was invalid, limited in detail, or needed additional clarification.

Disclaimers: GoDaddy seems to frequently change it web pages and layouts, so the following is what was in place as of 10/3/2017. My development computer is a PC and I'm clueless on how it compares to Apple or Linux systems. You will need a TEXT file processor such as Notepad or Wordpad, not a word processor such as Word, which places all sorts of formatting characters into the output files.

First, apparently GoDaddy won't let you just move the database using a file transfer tool such as duplicator. You have to start by using the GoDaddy Wordpress tool to create a new blank database and host folder. In my case,

Start by signing on to your GoDaddy account using your user ID/customer number and password. In my case I used the Upload Files option to go to my live HTML site and created an empty folder at the root of my active site called WP. I then returned to the Hosting Details page and used the Wordpress app in the Options and Settings section and created the Wordpress site in that folder.

Create the Wordpress startup and database

That's where the trouble began. GoDaddy lets you create a user name and password for the Wordpress dashboard and program (make sure you make careful note of both the user ID and password set up), however it creates a completely random name and password for the database that gets accessed via MySQL app, which you need in order to transfer the tables from the development site to the live site.

Go back to the Upload Files button to take you to the webroot page and look for the newly created folder where you told GoDaddy to create your Wordpress set-up. In my case that was the WP folder. Click on the folder name in the left panel to open its contents in the right panel. Look for a file called wp-config.php and click on it. The file will open in an editor but be very careful at this point not to change anything.

Right after to opening comments at the top, in my case at lines 23 through 29, look for the entries for define ('DB_NAME') and define ('DB_PASSWORD'), Carefully make note of the settings of both of these and be careful not to screw them up. Then carefully close the file without changing it.

One of  the options leading up to modifying the database allows you to change the database password. IF YOU DO YOU NEED TO GO BACK TO THE wp-config.php FILE AND CHANGE THE SETTINGS IN  THE DB_NAME, DB_USER, AND DB_PASSWORD OR THE WORDPRESS DASHBOARD WON'T BE ABLE TO CONNECT TO THE DATABASE! I know this from personal experience.

Its probably a good idea at this point to make sure the site is properly set up and active. Sometimes it take a while for the set-up process to complete. I believe GoDaddy sends an email when the process is done. Open a new browser tab and enter the URL for the new site by entering the root URL followed by a slash and the name of the folder you created for installing Wordpress, such as www.thisismynewsite.com/wp. The new Wordpress site should open, but it will just show the default theme page with your site name. Still, pretty cool and lets you know you can start loading your development site data and upload your themes and custom templates.

Make sure you can get into the Database and Wordpress Dashboard

Click on the Home button in the top menu bar to return to the Hosting Details screen. On the left side click on Applications. When the Manage Applications screen finally opens, you should see My Applications followed underneath by Application Wordpress with a Manage button under it. clicking the Manage button will open an option panel for Actions and Log In. Click the Log In button and enter the database name and password you created when you ran the Wordpress Create app, not the ones found in the wp-config.php file. This is how you get into the Wordpress Dashboard to work on the live site pages, plug-ins, and so on. More on this later. On my site, the dashboard opens in a new browser tab, so closing the tab signs out of the Dashboard.

From the GoDaddy hosting tab, close the Manage Application pop-up and return to Home/Hosting Details.

From the right panel, scroll down to the Databases area and click on the MySql app. The My Databases pop-up panel should open and you should see a database with the name found in the wp-config.php file. Click on the phpMyAdmin button. The Starfield log-in screen should open. The user name should be the same as the database name if you didn't screw with it in the wp-config.php file, and the password should be the one found in the wp-config.php file. This should open the Starfield database manager. BE VERY CAREFUL WHAT YOU DO IN THIS PROGRAM!

If you click on the database name under the Starfield logo and option icons, it will list a set of tables. These are the tables you need to copy from the test site and "drop" into the live site. I couldn't find any documentation on what this meant and screwed it up a number of times before I got it right. Basically you use the Empty tab to delete the contents of each table, then use the SQL tab to load your development table's data into the live site table.

So, minimize your GoDaddy browser and open your localhost database. In my case this was done using the PHPMyAdmin from the WampServer.

Get the table contents from the development database preparing it for upload

Once you log into the localhost database (you did remember your database user id and password didn't you?) you should see in the left panel a tree of table options including new, information_schema, mysql, performance_scema, and the name of your development database. In my case my test database was called test_db (clever, huh?). Clicking on the + to the left of the development database name will show a set of tables that look familiar. In fact they should be exactly the same as the table names found in your GoDaddy database.

While it may be possible to do this all at once for all tables, I'd recommend doing each table individually as I ran into trouble with the output file being too big for all of it to be loaded into the GoDaddy SQL panel and ended up with missing tables. Anyway, for each of the tables except USERS, click on the table name. The table will open with a set of tabs at the top. Click on Export to open the export options. Your particular database management program may be different but these are the options I used with PHPMyAdmin:

1. The Quick Export option caused no end of trouble with GoDaddy, so select Custom.
  2. I left the Format, Rows and Output sections alone and used the defaults.
  3. In the Format-Specific section I selected Data (only). I don't think GoDaddy likes you messing with there structure or creating new tables.
  4. I left the Syntax section to format both methods of output.
  5. click Go
  6. Repeat for each table under your "test_db" listing except for wp_users

This will create a text file for each of the tables. I'd advise not exporting the wp_users table as the Wordpress Creation app in GoDaddy already set up a user for the live site. The format isn't very readable using Notepad but looks pretty user friendly when opened with WordPad. Each file is an SQL statement that will load the development site table content into the GoDaddy comparable table.

Now its time to get your new site loaded with development site work.

Re-open the MySQL access to the GoDaddy database. When the Starfield dashboard opens, click on the database name under the "helpful" icons. A list of tables will open below the database name, and the right panel will display a set of tabs starting with Structure followed below by the same table names show on the left panel.

In the main panel, check the box to the left of all table names WITH THE EXCPETION OF wp_users. Then in the "With selected" drop-down box select Empty. After confirming you really want to do such a foolish thing, the contents of all the selected tables will be emptied of all data and your GoDaddy Wordpress site will be rendered useless. But not to worry!

Now its time to copy the data from your development site tables into your new live site. For each table except wp_users in the left pane do the following:

1. Click on a table name in the left panel
  2. Click on the SQL tab at the top of the main panel.
  3. Swap back to your desktop and open the corresponding .sql file exported from your development site using your TEXT program (I prefer Wordpad since it displays easier to read).
  4. With your text program, copy the contents of the file. With Wordpad and Notepad this is easiest done by placing the cursor before the very first character in the file and pressing ctrl-a which highlights all content after the cursor. Then click ctrl-c or right-click and select copy.
  5. Swat back to the MySQL program. In the Run SQL box, delete the default SELECT statement, then with the cursor in the left corner of the box click ctrl-v or right-click and select paste. All of the lines of data from the filename.sql file should be seen in the Run SQL box. I've had an instance where not all of the file was copied so verify that the last line of  the Run SQL box matches the last line of the filename.sql file.
  6. Click Go
  7. The selected table should now contain all of the data from the development database table.
  8. Repeat for all tables except for the wp_users table.

At this point your database should contain all of the same information that your development database had. Close the database and get back to the GoDaddy Hosting Details page.

Now its time to work on on the Wordpress side of the site

Evidently Microsoft Explorer and Microsoft Edge won't let the GoDaddy file manager work with folders, just individual files, so I ended up loading Chrome to use as the web browser to maintain the files section of the webroot. That said, with Chrome, go through the log-on process to get to the Hosting Details panel in GoDaddy.

In the left panel find the folder you created to contain your Wordpress setup. In my case it was called wp. click on the + to expand and display the folders contained in it. Click on the + to the left of wp-content to expand it. Click on + to the left of themes to expand it. The default themes should be shown, in my case twentyfifteen, twentysixteen, and twentyseventeen. The themes I used in my development site wasn't one of them. If you used one of the default themes already shown and have made changes to it on the development site you may need to delete the existing theme from the GoDaddy site so you can replace it with the theme from your development site.

Swap to your local development folder to get to its set of themes your site used. In my case they were in  c:\wamp64\www\MySite\wp_content\themes\. In my file manager clicking on the themes folder in the left panel displayed the theme folders I used in the main panel. These included the native original theme as well as the child theme I created to maintain my modificaitons.

Swap back to the GoDaddy File Manager an click on the themes folder in the left panel to display the active themes in the main panel.

Click on Upload and select Add Folder.

Browse to the local theme folder you want to upload and select it and it will be added under the themes folder in the right pane of the GoDaddy file manager.

Repeat for any other themes you want to upload, such as the child theme of the parent theme. Remember that a child theme won't work unless the original parent theme is present.

You also need to move any images and files (.pdf files, etc.) from your development site to your live site. In my case they were all located in an images folder called images (I'm clever that way), that was located at the same level as the themes folder right under wp_content, so I copied that folder to the same spot under wp_content.

Now, you'd think at this point you'd have a finished site? Sorry to disappoint.

Get out of File Manager and get back to the Wordpress Dashboard.

The clean-up work remains!

With your Wordpress dashboard now open, you'll need to upload and install all those plug-ins you made use of in your development and activate them.

Then go to Settings General and scroll to the bottom of the page and click Save Changes. This corrects all instances of the site URL to the new location. Go to Settings Permalink and click Save Changes. This should make sure the post links get updated.

Now if you select Visit Site, most of the pages and fun stuff you developed should display correctly, but DON'T BE FOOLED!  One surprise I didn't expect was that testing my live site from the same computer I used for developing it didn't let me realize that all of my pages that were pulling pictures and documents were still pointing to my local copies instead of to my live site copies. When I bragged to my friends what a great job I'd done I got back nasty comments about all the missing pictures and broken links (not really nasty, but I was chagrinned).

I took the tedious rout and went through all the individual referenced elements and corrected them manually. It wouldn't have been so bad had I used relative locations instead of specific URLs (../images/filename.jpg instead of http://localhost/MySite/wp_content/images/filename.jpg). 20/20 hindsight. But in the end all was good. I found a reference to an SQL that would update the URLs in the database but I think it only applied to posts and not to pages, where many of my links were located. After one major (as in, delete it all and start over) disaster using SQL to update table contents I decided to go with the safe route, but if you're interested the "simple" SQL update is run from the MySQL phpMyAdmin app SQL tab:

UPDATE wp_posts SET post_content = REPLACE(post_content, 'localhost/MySite/', 'www.livesite.org/');

Keep in mind this would work on links in posts, but I'm not too sure whether there is an equivalent method of updating page links.

In the end, with much testing and reviewing using a computer other than my development computer, the site is now up and running successfully.

Hello,

I will describe the WordPress system used on many web sites around the world and on my own webpage today with a picture and detail of my own (http://localhost/) installation of my computer. I can not enter long-lasting content and I chose such a topic because I wanted it to be on my website. Let's start 🙂

What do we need?

WampServer
WordPress Setup Files
To download WampServer; Download WampServer (Please download your system according to the bit.)

To find out how many bits are in your system, right-click on the Computer icon on the desktop and check "System type" in the Properties window. You can also examine the following image.

I have not heard from Visual Sharing since there is nothing difficult in the WampServer installation. Follow the instructions you need to complete the installation. You better not change the index.

At the end of the installation I ask you to choose what you want your default browser to ask you to answer "yes" to this question and choose chrome.exe. It will be in the following order because I think you are not very different in your directory; C: \ Program Files (x86) \ Google \ Chrome \ Application

If the Text Editor comes up then you can say "No" to complete the installation. Allow access to firewall firewall requests.

After the installation is finished, we need to check that it is installed correctly by running the WampServer program. If the icon is green, it means no problem. If it is red or orange, then there is a problem. You can comment on this issue or search on Google. Left-click on the WampServer icon in the bottom right-hand corner of the Start menu, and then click on http://localhost in the top right corner. If you see the following page, you are done installing WampServer. Now you can go to WordPress setup.

WordPress Setup Files

After downloading the current WordPress files from WordPress Turkey, first delete the files from the wamp file and add your new files to the main directory.