cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted
New

My website isn't updating when I add files to it?

When I add files to my website, I can see that they're there in file manager, but when I go to it in my browser, it just comes up with a 404 error.

(The folders and files are in public_html and their permisssions are set up properly. I also tried clearing my cache)

8 REPLIES 8

Re: My website isn't updating when I add files to it?

I have the exact same problem. It has been years since I updated my site. But when a fury came over me to do it, I launched into Go Daddy to have a go. I did a test file just simply changing the date on the home page file, then uploaded it. The Add Files panel tells me the file has uploaded correctly. But when I look at my website on any and all browsers, it shows the old file home page. After several re-goes and frustration, I called the vaunted tech support. Someone name Kelly reported that he was mystified and suggested I call a "programmer." I AM my own programmer. I do not need a "programmer". The fault clearly is with Go Daddy. I need Go Daddy to pull its finger out and get this fixed. I am near toward bagging Go Daddy's "service", switching to another host, and eating the cost. This is wretched. I expect/ed better of Go Daddy -- particularly when it claims brilliant customer service and technical help. 

New

Please! I need help this is preventing me from working

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Selagis1 @Lexi. Thanks for posting. There are a few common causes of this situation. The first would be if the domain in question isn't actually posting to the hosting plan. That can happen unintentionally if the domain was forwarded or used on a different product. You'll want to make sure the domain is pointing to the IP address of the hosting plan. If it isn't, then that's the problem. 

The other typical cause of this is confusion over the file/directory name and case sensitivity. If you're on a cPanel plan, that is a Linux server. Linux has a case sensitive file format. For example, if you had a file named Home.html, visiting domain.com/home.html would not work because the first letter in the file name has a different case. 

If neither of the above scenarios fit your situation, then it would almost surely have to be an issue with file permissions or some other file structure issue. As this is a community forum rather than a support form, users here do not have access to internal GoDaddy systems and generally aren't able to assist with account specific issues. You would need to continue working with the GoDaddy hosting support team if that's the case. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
New

Maybe it's because my nameservers are pointed to cloudflare? (I use cloudflare for my website)

Community Manager
Community Manager

That's a great point @Lexi. I forgot to mention caching. Browser caching could also be part of this, but so could server-side caching (like a caching plugin for WordPress) or caching provided by a 3rd party, like Cloudflare. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
New
Solution

For the browser caching part, I did a hard refresh (which clears your cache AND refreshes the page) but it didn't get fixed.

For the cloudflare catching part, I set cloudflare to development mode (which disables cloudflare's caching system for 3 hours) while I was trying to fix this issue

(the issue is still not fixed)

There isn't any server-side caching, as my website is currently just an empty HTML file and a folder  with files in it. Trying to access either file through my web browser, I just get a 404 or the default cpanel pageScreen Shot 2019-02-21 at 3.14.56 PM.png

I'm going to try contacting godaddy support if I can't find a fix here

I am assuming -- absent evidence -- that the reply to Lexi also pertains to me, since we appear to have the same problem with Go Daddy. Thanks for your words, but you might as well be speaking Pushto. I have no idea what most of that means. The reason I chose Go Daddy in the first place, many moons ago, is that it was supposed to be easy. And, indeed, it was -- for several years. But I have only recently come back to update, change, clean up and polish my website hosted by Go Daddy. Suddenly, it doesn't work any more. I load my page (it shows as loaded on the Go Daddy Add Files thingie) but the website, when consulted, does not show my updated page. I do not wish to earn a degree in this stuff; I simply wand Go Daddy to update my page when I ask. When I sought help through it's vaunted customer "service" phone line, all I received was lack of knowledge from some fathead evidently called Kelly, an instruction that I should consult a "programmer", and a pitch to give Go Daddy more money to fix the problem -- some some other such mercenary lunacy. The problem is NOT on my end; I do not need to consult a "programmer"; Go Daddy needs to get this fixed. I am writing a letter to the powers-that-be at Go Daddy expressing my displeasure and asking that someone be instructed to work with me to sort this rubbish out. Failing that, I am prepared to junk the rest of my contract with Go Daddy, switch my site to another, more responsive and responsible company, and commence action to get back my misspent money. Any comments?

Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Hi @Selagis1 I would say that your issues are similar but not necessarily the same, since the cause of what you're seeing could be different. If you'd like help here on the community, I'd suggest providing your website domain and examples of what you've changed vs what is appearing. Screenshots are often very helpful in situations like this as well.

However, before doing any of that, it would be good to do some browser troubleshooting. I'd suggest first clearing your browser's cache and cookies. If that doesn't help, then try using a cacheless browsing window (FireFox private window, Chrome incognito, etc.), then an entirely different browser. Then feel free to follow up as I mentioned above. 

Also, please keep in mind that this is a community forum rather than a support form. Users here do not have access to internal GoDaddy systems and generally aren't able to assist with account specific issues.