cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New

PHP Post Data Limited to 1 MB

Error "413 Request Entity Too Large" message is presented when attempting to post more than 1MB of data to a PHP page.  I selected PHP 7.1 and set these parameters from the control panel.

max_execution_time 120

post_max_size 128M

upload_max_filesize 128M

memory_limit 128M 

I'm running this test on a new CPanel Linux website that consists of only two files shown below.

home.html

———

<HTML>

<FORM METHOD="POST" ACTION="testpostsize.php" enctype="multipart/form-data">

Data <INPUT NAME="data" TYPE="text" SIZE="20"> <INPUT TYPE="submit" VALUE="Send">

</FORM>

</HTML>

testpostsize.php

<?php

$Data = $_POST['data'];

die('SUCCESS');

?>

When you enter the URL, the home screen presents an entry field and Send button.  If you enter less than 1 MB and click Send you see SUCCESS.  If you enter 1MB or more of text, it presents the 413 error.

Other tests I have tried include different PHP versions, put those PHP config parameters in a .user.ini file in the public_html folder, turned off all of the PHP extensions and ran the same test on three different Godaddy hosting accounts, but the test always fails with more than 1 MB.  I've also tried posting from different web browsers running on different Mac and Windows computers and posting directly from a Mac application, but the test still always fails.

When I run the same test on websites hosted by two different non-godaddy hosting companies, the test is always successful.

Any ideas?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: PHP Post Data Limited to 1 MB

I've been on the horn with them for quite some time.  It appears that there is indeed a 1MB limit but they won't say.  The assistant, who was accommodating, intimated, but wouldn't verify, this by saying that such a limit might be protected, 'unpublished', information... a security issue.  Form files can be large, but if you try and post, say a textarea form element that exceeds that limit, it will fail with 416 error.

Unless the next upgrade, 'business', allows a larger post, the alternative is your very own server where you control all the parameters.  We don't have the talent for that so we may have to move on.

New

Re: PHP Post Data Limited to 1 MB