cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

PHP versions for CPANEL Linux - need 7.3.6 or better

My infosec team has identified vulnerabilities with older PHP versions. I need to upgrade to PHP 7.3.6 or better. Two things:

1. CPANEL needs to show the full version number - in the select php section it only shows 

the first two digits of the vesrion number:  7.2, 7.3 etc.

php-version.JPG

Vulnerability scans indicate should be running ATLEAST 7.3.6 or better.

Call with Support informed me I am on 7.3.36 and that it is not an option to upgrade beyond that at this time. ( but maybe soon)

So I am requesting someone in ops at GoDaddy escalate this so we can upgrade to a version where multiple vulnerabilities have been patched.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Super User IV

@DGoodman 

1) This is in part a function of cPanel (not GoDaddy) that it only shows the major version not the build

2) The latest version of PHP 7.3 is 7.3.14  and 7.2 is  7.2.27

3) If you create a test page on your site with the following code 

<?php
phpinfo();
?>

Then visit that page in your browser it will confirm what version you are running.

I just checked on a cPanel Server I have access to and it is running 7.3.7 which would meet your requirements

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

The only explanation there is that perhaps you're on one of their older servers. The only GoDaddy hosting that caps at PHP 5.6 is their much older classic Web Hosting.

The only way to correct that is to upgrade. I would suggest giving customer sales & support a call to see what options they can give you.

* Please note that I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. If you contact me via PM for help, I will give you a price quote for my personal services. Thanks! *

@LastDayWork 

As @MrVapor  stated - you are using the Linux Deluxe server which are GoDaddy's older shared servers. 

You will need to migrate to a cPanel server in order to get the updated version of PHP along with many other features.

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

9 REPLIES 9
Super User IV

@DGoodman 

1) This is in part a function of cPanel (not GoDaddy) that it only shows the major version not the build

2) The latest version of PHP 7.3 is 7.3.14  and 7.2 is  7.2.27

3) If you create a test page on your site with the following code 

<?php
phpinfo();
?>

Then visit that page in your browser it will confirm what version you are running.

I just checked on a cPanel Server I have access to and it is running 7.3.7 which would meet your requirements

Super User II

@DGoodman 

Unfortunately, the reality of the situation is that all versions of PHP deployed on shared servers need to be extensively tested beforehand to ensure a mass number of website outages don't occur due to coding conflicts. That takes time and they will not escalate it to be faster for a small number of people who need it. Better to make a few wait than to deal with the millions and millions of dollars they would lose from breaking older sites on their hosting.

If you absolutely must have the latest and greatest PHP for your personal use, I would suggest getting off shared hosting and invest in a VPS or Dedicated Server.

* Please note that I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. If you contact me via PM for help, I will give you a price quote for my personal services. Thanks! *

@MrVapor & @PL281 - Kindly correct if I'm mistaken

1. All Shared Hosting plans of Godaddy (I'm using Ultimate Linux) only support outdated PHP v5.4 & v5.6.
  2. Shared Hosting does NOT provide currently supported PHP version (v7.3 & v7.4).
  3. PHP v5.4 reached end of life on 3rd Sep 2015.
  4. PHP v5.6 reached end of life on 31st Dec 2018.
  5. These outdated PHP versions expose all websites on Shared Hosting to cybersecurity vulnerabilities.

@LastDayWork 

That is incorrect. My current shared server with GoDaddy is on PHP 7.4.

@MrVapor 

Kindly share steps for upgrading to PHP v7.4

GoDaddy support shared this article which shows GoDaddy only provides PHP v5.4 & PHP v5.6 on shared hosting plans - https://in.godaddy.com/help/software-versions-installed-on-hosting-accounts-897

https://in.godaddy.com/help/view-or-change-the-php-version-for-my-linux-hosting-16090

Alternatively, you can change it in cPanel by logging in, going to Select PHP Version, and changing the PHP version.

On the Managed WordPress product, the updates work differently as you don't have direct server access. You change it there on the GoDaddy Dashboard when you manage the product.

That only provides two options - PHP v5.4 & v5.6

The only explanation there is that perhaps you're on one of their older servers. The only GoDaddy hosting that caps at PHP 5.6 is their much older classic Web Hosting.

The only way to correct that is to upgrade. I would suggest giving customer sales & support a call to see what options they can give you.

@LastDayWork 

As @MrVapor  stated - you are using the Linux Deluxe server which are GoDaddy's older shared servers. 

You will need to migrate to a cPanel server in order to get the updated version of PHP along with many other features.